By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 360 DVD data limit is 6.8 GB

DOATS1 said:
the 360's dvd data limit is not 6.8gb

See NJ5's previous posts, 6.8Gb isn't the total physical space on the DVD but Microsoft adds some DRM and other stuff that leaves developers 6.8Gb left for game data.

Around the Network

Hmm than why is Resident Evil 5 7.3 GB?

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

darklich13 said:

I assume you mean when installed which leaves us with 2 theories:

1. It's compressed on DVD but not after installation

2. Microsoft have increased the amount of DVD space available to developers by reducing the DRM stuff.

Both are possible as the presentation that said 6.8Gb available was quite a while ago.

Scoobes said:
darklich13 said:

I assume you mean when installed which leaves us with 2 theories:

1. It's compressed on DVD but not after installation

2. Microsoft have increased the amount of DVD space available to developers by reducing the DRM stuff.

Both are possible as the presentation that said 6.8Gb available was quite a while ago.

1. No, the size of the disk is 7.3 GB. Not installed.

2. Probable what has happened. But dosen't that make this whole argument void?

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

NiKKoM said:
Asmo said:
NiKKoM said:
to get the same performance as on the 360?

Performance isn't the same. Taking datas from an HD is much faster than DVD. Have you tried installing some games on your 360?

Yes I know that but I was talking about the size of multiplatform games... PS3 has the same games.. If they are the same size of the 360 games (6.8 GB) why do PS3 games require a mandatory install of almost the entire game?? Lazy developers?

There's only some developers that require mandatory install of their games.

The biggest culprit being CapCom and Take Two ( DMC4, Re5, GTA4, Bioshock).

Games like Burnout Paradise, Cod:Waw, Mirror Edge, Deadspace have virtually no install and no wait time during loading either....( and the same thing is true of every Sony first party game). 

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
DOATS1 said:
the 360's dvd data limit is not 6.8gb

See NJ5's previous posts, 6.8Gb isn't the total physical space on the DVD but Microsoft adds some DRM and other stuff that leaves developers 6.8Gb left for game data.

i'm aware of the a dvd's physical capacity, and the space used by microsoft for security, and i'm still saying it's not capped at 6.8gb.

MikeB: I like how you get the technical details wrong or omit them entirely in almost every one of your posts.

size of a game doesnt make it a good game just to let you know.....

PREDICTIONS:
(Predicted on 5/31/11) END of 2011 Sales - Xbox 360 = 62M;  PS3 = 59M;  Wii = 97M

Thanks MikeB I appreciate the information. It's interesting. I had no idea MS packed so much extra junk onto their discs. Continue with the good work. I like your technical posts :)

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

darklich13 said:

I just checked the charts, it's 6.8 GB.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales