By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 360 DVD data limit is 6.8 GB

MikeB said:
NJ5 said:
MikeB said:

@ NJ5

Yes, 360 games are optimised like that. But as you move away from the outer edge of the disc, repositioning the lens back towards the edge will increase seektimes.

Like it could make perfect sense on the PS3 to have the main executeable on the harddrive, it makes sense to have this at the outer edge of the 360 DVD for fast game bootup. Streaming is far more of an issue though, it requires a lot of planning, so often developers stick to minimal read speeds instead (the capacity on disc isn't that big neither, so reading faster may not be needed as it's not the main bottleneck).

Everything regarding to read speeds (and clarifications regarding storage space) I aimed to address here:
http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?id=2002828

But those speed you quoted are probably for the whole disc. If 360 games have the 6.8 GB always on the outer part of the disc, the lower speeds will never happen, increasing the average speed.

You misunderstand how discs works. Basically see view data at their core as a sequence of 0s and 1s (actually little pits on a disc, equally 0s and 1s), so something like:

6.8 GB regards the whole disc, which is divided into tracks.

The outer tracks, a sequence of 0s and 1s, can hold more data as the track is longer. A disc spinning at a constant rate, thus means one rotation at the outer edge more 0s and 1s will pass the lens than for a single rotation on an inner track.

MikeB.

Your answer didn't relate too NJ5's response in the slightest.  And as it happens, he is correct.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
starcraft said:

MikeB.

Your answer didn't relate too NJ5's response in the slightest. And as it happens, he is correct.

It all depends on how the format works. It may allow for this optimal placement or not.

Bottom line MikeB often quotes minimum/average read speeds which might not be relevant for game data.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

MikeB said:

@ NJ5

The only thing I said is that the 6.8 GB of data can be placed exclusively on the outer part of the disc, which has higher read speed with a CAV drive.

I am sorry, I don't follow you.

If you have a very small game, you could place the data exclusively on the outer tracks, but then it would be better go for a single layer disc instead (using more inner tracks).

Here is an incredibly simple model for you MikeB.

The averages you're quoting are based on the total 8.5GB of data the Xbox 360 disk holds (including FAT).  Even then they are misleading, as any sensible developer places commonly used data on the outer DVD tracks, bringing the average seek/read times for those games well below that of the PS3's Blu-Ray games.

But what NJ5 is saying is that in addition to that efficiency increaser you're ignoring, there is another one.

By placing the FAT on the inner-most tracks of the disk, a full 1.7GB of the slowest read data from that original 8.5GB is removed from the average calculation.

Assuming the top of the list is the inner most track and the bottom the outermost it goes like this:

-FAT (read slowly, but accessed only upon game boot-up).

-Game artifacts that are used extrememly rarely (perhaps individual cutscenes, story advances).

-Game artifacts used regularly (textures etc).

So not only is the average you're quoting WRONG because it accounts for 8.5GB instead of 6.8GB, it isn't even relevant as any good developer will have their important data on the outer tracks where load times are MUCH faster than that of a Blu-Ray disk.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Thanks MikeB!!!.. you've just convinced everyone, who hasn't alreay done so, to buy a PS3.

2009 is the year of the PS3.. confirmed.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

@ starcraft

Whatever... Whatever he meant, it was worded poorly:

"360 games have the 6.8 GB always on the outer part of the disc"

Yes, Microsoft uses dedicated space for firmware, DRM, localized error messages and such. The 360 can thus store  ~20% less game data on DVD than a PS2.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

@MikeB: Three different people have explained you what I meant with different words (me, Fumanchu and starcraft).

I don't think you have reading comprehension problems, so you're simply trying to change the subject by saying I worded it poorly instead of discussing the actual problem.

6.8GB is still a lot considering that the Gamecube got by with just 1.5GB discs and still gave us two of the best games this decade RE4 and Zelda:TP. Also the Dreamcast used 1GB discs and it had over 30 great/good exclusives.

MikeB said:

Yes, Microsoft uses dedicated space for firmware, DRM, localized error messages and such. The 360 can thus store well over 20% less game data on DVD than a PS2.

Yeah because PS2 discs don't need a file system right?

My bad, I forgot the PS2 and PS3 were magical systems.

NJ5 said:
MikeB said:

Yes, Microsoft uses dedicated space for firmware, DRM, localized error messages and such. The 360 can thus store well over 20% less game data on DVD than a PS2.

You guys keep talking of filesystems. Doesn't the 360 use iso9660 as your usual DVDs? I was under the impression that it simply reserved some space for security and other systems stuff.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

WereKitten said:
NJ5 said:
MikeB said:

You guys keep talking of filesystems. Doesn't the 360 use iso9660 as your usual DVDs? I was under the impression that it simply reserved some space for security and other systems stuff.

I have no idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if the "wasted" 1.7 GB includes the filesystem as well as other stuff which also exists on other game disc formats.

I would certainly hope they didn't use 1.7 GB just for DRM.