By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 360 DVD data limit is 6.8 GB

NiKKoM said:
Thats quite bad.... for the PS3...
So that would mean that for some PS3 multiplat games with their mandatory installs you are putting almost the entire game on the HD to get the same performance as on the 360?? RE5 had 5?? DMC4 had 4.8? Bioshock 5?

Errr? I've tried the X360 version (not installed) of RE5 and the loadtimes are significantly longer than the PS3 version. Same goes for DMC4 with its improved performance. Have you tried to install games on your 360? If Every single PS3 has a mandatory Hard Drive, why not take advantage of it? I recall Microsoft itself saying that no games developed on the X360 will be allowed to have mandatory installs because not every X360 has a hard drive.

Mandatory installs doesn't mean a system is inferior. My computer tells me that if I want to play Halo 2, I have to install it on my HDD first. Does this mean that the XBOX is MORE powerful than my gaming rig?

Your logic fails lamentably.

I am a Gamer... I play games and not consoles. I have a PC and Console on which I game... I like games. End of Story!

Around the Network

Currently playing:  PC:  Wolfenstein  PS2:  Final Fantasy X  PS3: All-Pro Football 2K8 Wii:  Force Unleashed  PSP:  God of War: CoO Xbox 360:  Gears of War 2  

Most anticipated game:  Dragon Age Origins (PC)

NJ5 said:
@MikeB: Sorry to interrupt your self-quoting but aren't those seek times very different from what we've seen before?

And again, why do so many multi-plat PS3 games require installation where the 360 versions don't? If the PS3's BD drive performance was so great in comparison to the 360, why would that happen?

The Blu-Ray drive isn't so great with regard to transfer rate (it's similar on average, but there is better potential for data duplication, optimal usage and such, the speed is very competent though - all the content of a 25 GB disc can in theory be streamed in just 45 minutes), it's great with regard to storage capacity, drive noise, predictable streaming performance, etc.

Many multi-platform games have been assets wise optimised for the XBox 360 and optimised for DVD loading (CD/DVD have been used for decades, Blu-Ray is relatively very new technology). Optimising for Blu-Ray is different, this is where first parties with games like Uncharted and Killzone 2 set examples. On the PS3 you also have the default harddrive, using smart methods in game engines for harddrive caching you can take great advantage of this as well.

Like mentioned already, using the harddrive to install data is the easy method for multi-platform developers to overcome these differences cheaply and without too much effort.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Shoestar said:

Errr? I've tried the X360 version (not installed) of RE5 and the loadtimes are significantly longer than the PS3 version. Same goes for DMC4 with its improved performance. Have you tried to install games on your 360? If Every single PS3 has a mandatory Hard Drive, why not take advantage of it? I recall Microsoft itself saying that no games developed on the X360 will be allowed to have mandatory installs because not every X360 has a hard drive.

Mandatory installs doesn't mean a system is inferior. My computer tells me that if I want to play Halo 2, I have to install it on my HDD first. Does this mean that the XBOX is MORE powerful than my gaming rig?

Your logic fails lamentably.

But the PS3 is faster because the data is on a hard drive in your RE5 example.  Thats not an apples to apples comparison.  The question would be how are the 360 load times in comparison if its installed on a 360 drive.

No one is saying why not take advantage of hard drives.  The question is, why *require* it.  There is a limited amount of space on those drives.  If you have the option to run off the optical drive with decent speeds thats an important feature.  That gives you greater flexibility in how you can use your system comfortably.  Its not a question of whats more "powerful" in my mind.

Currently playing:  PC:  Wolfenstein  PS2:  Final Fantasy X  PS3: All-Pro Football 2K8 Wii:  Force Unleashed  PSP:  God of War: CoO Xbox 360:  Gears of War 2  

MikeB said:
NJ5 said:
@MikeB: Sorry to interrupt your self-quoting but aren't those seek times very different from what we've seen before?

And again, why do so many multi-plat PS3 games require installation where the 360 versions don't? If the PS3's BD drive performance was so great in comparison to the 360, why would that happen?

The Blu-Ray drive isn't so great with regard to transfer rate (it's similar on average), it's great with regard to storage capacity, drive noise, predictable streaming performance, etc.

Many multi-platform games have been assets wise optimised for the XBox 360 and optimised for DVD loading (CD/DVD have been used for decades, Blu-Ray is new technology). Optimising for Blu-Ray is different, this is where first parties with games like Uncharted and Killzone 2 set examples. On the PS3 you also have the default harddrive, using smart methods in game engines for harddrive caching you can take great advantage of this as well.

Like mentioned already, using the harddrive to install data is the easy method for multi-platform developers to overcome these differences cheaply and without too much effort.

You don't need a degree to optimise data placement for any storage medium. Any turd can do it.

So you're saying that because bluray is a "new technolog" it means that some devlopers haven't got to grips with optimising data placement.

Yet in the very same post you tout how "predictable" it is for data streaming?

Well you were right about one part, yes. It's predicatable, you get 2x which is very slow = all the time.

So you've contradicted yourself as you always do. There is no opimisation that needs to be done on bluray, there's enough storage space that you can place the same data over and over for easy sequential reading...

But according to the all knowing "MikeB" only the 1st party Sony devs have the mad skillz required to do this...

wow, they must be some amazing people....

And there was me thinking all it took was to know what data YOUR own game that your team developed needed to be loaded in sequence. Surely that would be harder to do on a DVD given it's "massive space limitations" ooohhhh nooooo...You fail.

Forgive me for doing a MikeB and making assumptions, but I think a monkey could do that...sorta like a basic jigsaw...near enough anyway ;)

Around the Network

Guys, honestly not answering Mike at all is our best option. He may go ape sh*t for a while on baiting posts. But eventually, if we are diligent enough in ignoring him he'll have to find some other place to hang out to get his fix at being a troll.

I have played various recent multi-platform games, like Call of Duty: World at War, Resident Evil 5 and Far Cry 2, I don't notice bad PS3 performance (although not measuring up to Killzone 2 and Uncharted in terms of graphics). I don't think such games truly provide much different experiences on either 360 or PS3. I think people exaggerate a lot (maybe there are tiny advantages, but I think you would have to run them side by side and still ....).

Other games which required a harddrive install on the PS3, also demonstrated clear and obvious loading improvement, such as in Oblivion.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
MikeB said:
MikeB said:
@ crumas2

I find it amusing that some people are arguing that seek times are not important for games stored on optical discs. DVD and Blu-Ray are *primarily* designed to stream data, i.e. - music and movies when are for the *most* part read in a linear fashion. That's why those formats use a large spiral track instead of the concentric tracks and sectors employed by hard drives and diskettes. Hard drives and diskettes are designed for random access, i.e. - programs and separate data files read in a NON-linear fashion.

So what does this tell us? That seek times are VERY important when playing a game that is stored primarily on a DVD or Blu-Ray disc, because the data will to a large degree NOT be accessed in a linear fashion. This is why Oblivion on a DVD has one copy of each data file but on Blu-Ray has several copies of each file placed strategically on the disc... according to Bethesda, the random access times on Blu-Ray were NOT SUFFICIENT to provide acceptable performance:

Sorry with all the trolling I overlooked your actual input.

Of course seektimes and layer switch times are important, like I said so within this thread and commented on to the best of my ability.

Regarding the Bethesda comment:

"Bethesda's Pete Hines also commented that recent reports of data duplication on the PS3 Oblivion disc have been exaggerated, and this technique isn't different from the similar strategy that was employed in the creation of the Xbox 360 game last year."

http://uk.videogames.games.yahoo.com/ps3/previews/the-elder-scrolls-iv--oblivion-68e797.html

But this strategy IMO makes more sense on Blu-Ray as you have lots of available space to take advantage of.

MikeB wrote:

Copying data layer by layer will yield different results compared to how game data is being read from a dual layer disc during a game. (layer switching)

I recoverd from yesterday, so back on topic.

Of course Microsoft's PR was rather misleading and proper documentation of the various used drives are hard to find. I came across one interesting article from a lead 360 developer, one who designed a 360 exclusive game. Some quotes:

"Some consoles only have a DVD for reading data. How fast we can read data depends on data layout and the quality of the media. Every time we switch layers to read from, it will cost us about 100 ms."

"It is almost always a good idea to duplicate data if it helps to avoid seeks."

Of course with most top 360 titles already hitting the 6.8 GB limit and developers will try to continue to provide more varierty and better quality assets, data duplication on the 360 becomes less of an option.

The full article can be read here:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1769/streaming_for_next_generation_games.php

Someone emailed me a Russian article, it states (translated, chief programmer of Ukrainian studio Deep Of shadows):

With regard to random seek times (equal data size):

Harddrive: 7-20ms

XBox 360 drive: 110-150ms

PS3 Blu-Ray: 50-100ms

--

XBox 360 Layer Switch time: 75ms

--

(Babelfish) "Load with DVD - example * the average speed - 12 MB/s * seek of 120ms = of 12*0.12 = of 1.44 MB/s is lost * seek+layer of change (200ms) = of 2.4MB/s is lost * Spin up - 2sek = of 24MB/s is lost * 3 seek for reading 0.5 MB: the speed: 7.68Mb/s"

This part of the article seems to regard data duplication.

(Babelfish translation) "Minimization of a quantity Of seek * all resources of zone - one linear block (files), the duplicates of resources in the different blocks - maximally effective reading * to arrange the dependent files is close to each other * “the shuffle” of the turn of load for the minimization of the length Of seek - group files - is not necessary seek to the catalog, files are located close"

PS3 vs 360 sales

Well at least this thread had a happy ending

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Ausfalcon said:
Guys, honestly not answering Mike at all is our best option. He may go ape sh*t for a while on baiting posts. But eventually, if we are diligent enough in ignoring him he'll have to find some other place to hang out to get his fix at being a troll.

That won't work, remember he has financial interest on the success of Sony. It's not attention he seeks, just the propaganda.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).