By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: gamers dont understand that PIRACY can make the PSP "go away"

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/21/sonys-peter-dille-thinks-psp-piracy-is-sickening/

Sony's Peter Dille thinks PSP piracy is 'sickening'

Sony's no longer denying PSP's overwhelming piracy problem. SCEA's Peter Dille spoke to Gamasutra about revitalizing their handheld, and put emphasis on one of the greatest hurdles facing their business. "I'm convinced and we're convinced that piracy has taken out a big chunk of our software sales on PSP ... we need to do something to address this because it's criminal what's going on, quite frankly."

While obviously Sony's bottom line is affected, Dille reiterates that developers are also suffering from the piracy scene on PSP. "It's not good for us, but it's not good for the development community. We can look at data from BitTorrent sites from the day Resistance: Retribution goes on sale and see how many copies are being downloaded illegally, and it's frankly sickening. We are spending a lot of time talking about how we can deal with that problem."

Dille suggests the solution to their problem will come in a multi-faceted approach. Yes, Sony's legal department will get involved, but education is also key. Dille wants to emphasize how serious the matter is to the average PSP owner. "I think gamers, if they understood if this meant that a platform would go away, can we convince gamers to pay for their content?"

mM
Around the Network

didn't read article just posting to say "ha sweet pirate"

I would make cry if the PSP went away due to piracy. Sony is my favourite console manufacturer and the PSP is my 2nd favourite console next to the PS3.

Tease.

Already posted

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=69325
http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=69347

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

This is what killed the Dreamcast.

Around the Network
axumblade said:
not going to effect gamers at all. piracy exists easily.

There are a ton of people that say "i'll buy it if it's a good game" and never do. And yes, there are people on this site that do it too.

I agree, every one of my friends pirate psp games. They absolutely hate the psp 3000 as well. I would buy my games all the time just because I know Im supporting the developer of that game.

mM
PLAYSTATION 3 said:

Are you a troll account?

Akvod said:
PLAYSTATION 3 said:

Are you a troll account?

He is absolutely correct.

Piracy killed the Dreamcast.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

Pirates don't care if it kills the PSP, they are PIRATES! They enjoy that stuff. :/

Joking aside, anyone who does pirate games knows it is hurting the game industry to a certain degree. And most of them don't care one bit as long as they get the game they want for free and or without much effort.

I would dare say the DS is probably easier to hack than the PSP and it seems to be doing well on the game sales front. Piracy will never go away until it is too difficult to pirate the console in the first place. Sony seems to just be crying over spilled milk like usual.

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

PLAYSTATION 3 said:

The PSP killed the Dreamcast?! Down with PSP!!!

"Now, a fun game should always be easy to understand - you should be able to take one look at it and know what you have to do straight away. It should be so well constructed that you can tell at a glance what your goal is and, even if you don’t succeed, you’ll blame yourself rather than the game. Moreover, the people standing around watching the game have also got to be able to enjoy it." - Shiggy

A Koopa's Revenge II gameplay video