By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why GTA IV, one of the 2 best games of this gen, received so much hate.

Bitmap Frogs said:
richardhutnik said:
Rock Star apparently wanted to go for "realism" of some sort in the game. They wanted the game to be seen as high drama, and so on. They got away from the sheer mayhem of sandbox mode single player, and had players forced through a story. Check the comments to see. It is more than just a fanboy angle.

It is true that the city in GTA4 is more of a background rather than a playground, but that's not necessarily bad.

The only non-debatable weakness is lack of mission variety

I believe when you do that, you end up losing the sandbox appeal that fans wanted.  I think Rockstar probably thought multiplayer is where the sandbox mayhem would funnel into, but that didn't happen as much as they thought it would.

Around the Network

I hated it because it was BORING, and I had 20x more fun on San Andreas.

People didn't like it because it strayed from how it was played before. It had just as much killing in it as all the other GTA's but Rockstar changed the gameplay. It's hard for people to appreciate things when something doesn't come out how they want it to, they are called sissy tits. People will always criticize this game for it departuring from it's roots, but at the same time they can't give it credit for how good the story and the city's environments turned out. I liked the play style of this game, sure not as much as San Andreas but I'm sure we can all suspect that Rockstar will make GTA 5 more play and spray style.

San Andreas was better,it was bigger,you could do more,and the story was better,and it had Sam L Jackson.I would have been happier if they remade san andreas with GTA4 graphics

CASS1DY said:
San Andreas was better,it was bigger,you could do more,and the story was better,and it had Sam L Jackson.I would have been happier if they remade san andreas with GTA4 graphics

I'd buy that in a heartbeat, not even lying.

Around the Network

One of only 2 best games this generation based on opinion? WTH? I would say One of 5 best games this generation: GTA IV, Super Mario Galaxy, Halo 3, Call of Duty 4 and Gears of War 1&2 . These game reviews sites are totally not trustworthy.

It's a great game. Solid 9.5, just not 10.

Because it sucked, GTA IV felt like a step backwards.

I blame the reviewers and the hype.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

O.V.E.R.R.A.T.E.D.

GTAIV isn't even in the top 50 games for me this gen.