By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSP's 5.50 Firmware Update Details

Sony Details PSP's 5.50 Firmware Update

By Earnest Cavalli April 20, 2009 | 2:41:48 PMCategories: Portable Gaming  

The next firmware update for Sony's handheld console brings with it a host of changes designed to make shopping for downloadable content and keeping up with the latest in PSP-centric news easier for gamers.

Key to the changes is the introduction of an Information Board similar to the one found on the PlayStation 3. The board displays news and information in a scrolling ticker bar on the upper right-hand corner of the handheld when players are connected to the internet.

Additionally, the update allows players to more easily search for downloadable content and updates for their games via the handheld's cross media bar (XMB). If a gamer is connected to the 'net, clicking the Triangle button while a game's icon is highlighted will automatically search for any additions to the title.

5.5 also brings with it changes to the console's memory management system as well as its web-surfing abilities:

• Memory Stick improvements – You’ll be able to create and access sub-folders on your Memory Stick PRO Duo for music, videos and photos. Separately, the available space required to download a file from PlayStation Store to your Memory Stick has been reduced significantly.
  • Trend Micro trial – PSP’s Internet browser is a great tool for checking out your favorite Web sites on the go, and we’re teaming up with the Internet security experts at Trend Micro to make the Web browsing experience safer and more secure. With the 5.50 update, you’ll have the option to access a free trial of two Trend Micro services:

Trend Micro Web Security uses Web reputation technology to block PSP owners from accidentally visiting a Web site that may contain malicious content designed to steal personal information and confidential data.

Trend Micro Kids’ Safety uses URL filtering technology to prevent children from accessing Web sites that feature inappropriate content.

No release date is offered for the update, though Sony's PlayStation.Blog says it "will be available soon."

Image: yngrich/Flickr

PSP Firmware (v5.50) Update [PlayStation.Blog]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://blog.wired.com/games/2009/04/sony-details-ps.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:D

Around the Network

I stopped caring about the PSP a long time ago, unfortunately. I've bought one game for it in the last year. And no update can correct the lack of a second analog stick and the L2 and R2 buttons.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

The psp is my second favorite system this generation :o i just wish they'd update it so that when you push the home button, you see the percentage of power you have left instead of looking at those 3 bars. I can't make an accurate prediction with bars -.-