By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Damn... Television dillemma

Ugh... Now I'm eyeing up a 42" 720p set for $700... Somebody make me stop!

I'm really doubting the need for a 1080p set... even though I own a PS3, I have little interest in Blu-ray and from what I've seen, 1080p is really pushing that little RSX to its limits. Since no broadcasts will be in 1080p for ages, I won't be watching HD disc formats for awhile, and consoles won't be pushing 1080p hard until next generation, what's the point?

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

Stop looking at TVs!!

Uh...$700 though? Buy that!

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

rocketpig said:
Ugh... Now I'm eyeing up a 42" 720p set for $700... Somebody make me stop!

I'm really doubting the need for a 1080p set... even though I own a PS3, I have little interest in Blu-ray and from what I've seen, 1080p is really pushing that little RSX to its limits. Since no broadcasts will be in 1080p for ages, I won't be watching HD disc formats for awhile, and consoles won't be pushing 1080p hard until next generation, what's the point?

That's why I'm waiting on a 720P set to hit the 700s.  720P is good enough as far as I'm concerned.  The price difference is just too big at this point IMO.  This is the set I'm interested in:

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=367891

It has a good feature set and a great price.  When this TV is in the 700s, I'll probably grab one... 

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

kn, that's one of the sets I'm look at, too. I'm also eyeing up the 720p 50" DLP Samsung, which I'm also finding for about $700 refurbed.

Hmm... gonna have to stew over this for a bit. I can afford $700 in the next few weeks, no problem.

DLPs look great but the viewing angle doesn't begin to compare to the flat panels. Just my .02 but I wouldn't do the DLP thing personally.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

With my current setup, viewing angle isn't a problem at all. You're either sitting in front of the TV or you ain't watchin' it. My living room arrangement pretty much forces it to be that way.

I do like the better black levels of DLP but I'll have to find a better way to black out my living room before it would be acceptable because of the dimmer nature of DLP over LCD.

rocketpig said:
With my current setup, viewing angle isn't a problem at all. You're either sitting in front of the TV or you ain't watchin' it. My living room arrangement pretty much forces it to be that way.

I do like the better black levels of DLP but I'll have to find a better way to black out my living room before it would be acceptable because of the dimmer nature of DLP over LCD.

well, before you write off needing a wide viewing angle, think about how many different ways the room can be layed out, cause i'm sure it will happen. I've been in my apartment for 1 year, and the room has been changed around at least 2 times (so 3 different layouts in 1 year). In my parents house though, there is only 2 feasible locations for the TV so a wide viewing angle wasn't needed. Also, i have the Vizio 32L which i bought for ~$900, and then proceeded to get $80 back because of a price drop within the month, and now a newer version of it is available for roughtly ~$550. Its a pretty decent tv (the menu sorta sucks) but for a cheap tv its great and the company is located in California (don't know if its actually made there or not)

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Actually, right now I'm all of five or so miles from the Vizio warehouse. :D

You don't need 1080p. Its just a waste of money.

I can't describe how happy I am with my TV purchase. 50'' Plasma (720p/1080i) + HDtuner for under $1500 US. Free delivery.

None of the issues that LCD screens have. Wii looks too awesome running on it. One month till Metroid arrives...

And its rated at 60,000hrs - much more than the old Plasmas used to do.

Regardless, don't make yourself broke. Hold out - prices always drop.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Sweet deal.

Could you buy it and sell it for more ?