By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Damn... Television dillemma

I just received an offer for this TV (brand new, warranty from Sharp) for $1300, free shipping:

This would empty my savings and leave me flat-ass broke for two weeks.

Ugh... so tempting.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

Holy crap.....

All that for only 1300 dollars?!

Go for it.

rocketpig said:
I just received an offer for this TV (brand new, warranty from Sharp) for $1300, free shipping:

Ugh... so tempting.

Nice TV.  You could deposit that 1300 in a high-interest bank like emmigrantdirect or hsbc and get 5.05% on that money and wait for black friday or after the holidays... Prices rarely go up...  Your money deposited will...  But that's just me.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

The thing is that the cheapest I'm finding this tv is $2000 online... and damn, Halo 3 would look fine on that set...

kn said:
rocketpig said:

Ugh... so tempting.

Nice TV.  You could deposit that 1300 in a high-interest bank like emmigrantdirect or hsbc and get 5.05% on that money and wait for black friday or after the holidays... Prices rarely go up...  Your money deposited will...  But that's just me.

+1 Prices only drop, and its probably not worth being flat broke for 2 weeks, so i'd wait. Also, that HSBC account is great I have it and it's always higher than any other online account. Although if you have a small amount and it's only going to be in for

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

I agree with it looking nice (Halo) but I'm still too cheap to pay over a grand for a nice TV. I'm waiting for the Vizio VX42L to have another pricedrop and I'll probably grab one of those. It's "good enough" as far as I'm concerned -- 720P/1080i. I'm hoping black friday will bring it down or the post holidays will bring it down into the $700s.

If you have the money to burn, won't miss it, and won't suffer any buyers remorse for having spent $1300 on a television, go for it...

Just make sure the warranty is "in-home" because you definitely don't want to be shipping that TV anywhere...

I hate trolls.

Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

I think I'm going to hold off. I got married a few months ago and I'm just rebuilding the savings from that. I also found a 1080p 47" Vizio for $1700. By early next year, that should be down around $1300 by my estimates and I'll be able to swing it without difficulty.

rocketpig said:
I think I'm going to hold off. I got married a few months ago and I'm just rebuilding the savings from that. I also found a 1080p 47" Vizio for $1700. By early next year, that should be down around $1300 by my estimates and I'll be able to swing it without difficulty.

Smart move... Check out interest.com and you can find a high-interest place to put that money and get a "sign-on" bonus if you do your homework.  Forget about that cash and let it grow and look to pay for the TV in the future... It's good to start building wealth... especially if you just got married.

I hate trolls.

Holding off is a very smart idea. 

There will always be good deals on TV sets. Don't spend the money unless you are certain you can afford it with no problems. It's nice to keep some cash in the bank, especially if you just got married.   LCDs, in particular, have been dropping in price like crazy.

kn said:
rocketpig said:

Smart move... Check out interest.com and you can find a high-interest place to put that money and get a "sign-on" bonus if you do your homework.  Forget about that cash and let it grow and look to pay for the TV in the future... It's good to start building wealth... especially if you just got married.

Actually, my WaMu account gives me something ridiculous like 5.45% so I'm covered there.

Now I'm finding those 47" Vizios refurbed for $1050... Screw that. I'm officially over the Sharp. :D

Maybe by December I'll be ready for something new.