By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Starcraft 2 is too complicated for most players

CommunistHater said:

Watched the Battle Report of two professional players, and I was very dissapointed.  Now everything unit seems to have a special power.

Zerglings can morph into bombs

New air units with special bombs.

I disagree about the thread title.  Like any game, it requires skill.  In order to get that skill, you have to practice and just explore the game. 

Do you think those two players just started out that well?  Of course not, that game has likely been a part of their everyday life for the last 2-3 years so it makes sense they know exactly what they're doing.

If you watch two beginner players or even intermediate the video would be very different.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:

Aint Starcraft 2 a Real Time Strategy game?

So now having to use more strategy is bad?

You might want to consider looking up the definition of strategy.  Having more opinions increases the strategic possibilities, but if they are activated commands that reduces the amount of time spent on strategy and increases the amount of time spent on tactics with the ultimate goal of reducing strategy.  From what little I have seen of high level starcraft play, there is very little strategy involved, just clicking speed competition.

For the most part, RTS should be called RTT (tactical) because there is very little strategy involved in playing the game.  Outside the game, some of the theorycrafting could rightfully be called strategy but that is outside the game itself.

ramses01 said:
Carl2291 said:

Aint Starcraft 2 a Real Time Strategy game?

So now having to use more strategy is bad?

You might want to consider looking up the definition of strategy.  Having more opinions increases the strategic possibilities, but if they are activated commands that reduces the amount of time spent on strategy and increases the amount of time spent on tactics with the ultimate goal of reducing strategy.  From what little I have seen of high level starcraft play, there is very little strategy involved, just clicking speed competition.

For the most part, RTS should be called RTT (tactical) because there is very little strategy involved in playing the game.  Outside the game, some of the theorycrafting could rightfully be called strategy but that is outside the game itself.

No, the clicking is what gives you the tactical advantage.  There is plenty of that in different skirmishes within a game, but the game as the whole is more than just who can click faster.  If it was just tactical clicking, then one human player would not be able to take on 7 computer players and win.

If you want to reduce the tactical advantage of players who can click faster, then you can slow the game speed.

you can't trade in PC games jlauro. they buy it and are stuck with it. It will sell millions. It will be played a lot by people of all skill levels and having bombs and special moves doesn't make it complicated, its the same as any other RTS.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
I don't want heroes or leveling up or item collecting. I absolutely hated WarCraft 3. I thought it was an awkward hybrid between Diablo and StarCraft, and I did not want to play both games at the same time.

Completely agree with this.  I loved Warcraft II and would play it at the local LAN shop with friends but Warcraft III just buthered it wit the heroes and leveling up.

I do consider that making a game more complicated than it needs to be, but Starcraft II seems to be fine so far.

Around the Network
I_Heart_Nintendo said:
you can't trade in PC games jlauro. they buy it and are stuck with it. It will sell millions. It will be played a lot by people of all skill levels and having bombs and special moves doesn't make it complicated, its the same as any other RTS.

Not as many places will deal with PC games, but some do.  It's fairly easy on ebay to find and sell used PC games.  You have a bigger risk of someone invalidating your code for online, buyer beware, but you definitely are not stuck with it...

I never said or complained it was complicated.  My biggest concern is how long it takes to research the tech tree.

As long as all special abilities are bound to a single key like in RA3, I have no problem with this.

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

CommunistHater said:

Watched the Battle Report of two professional players, and I was very dissapointed.  Now everything unit seems to have a special power.

Perhaps you should try something slightly less complicated like Wii Fit first :D

Blizzard RTS always are all about micromanagment - hency when those units have masses of special skills that correctly used win you battle.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

papero2 said:

<_<

then try something more.... hmmm try pikmin.

Have you even played Pikmin?? It's not easy, especially if you're aiming for a speed run of Pikmin 1, or a fewest casualties run of Pikmin 2. Much more difficult than Starcraft I in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, Starcraft is one of my favourite RTSs, but the single player is pretty easy

twesterm said:
CommunistHater said:

I disagree about the thread title.  Like any game, it requires skill.  In order to get that skill, you have to practice and just explore the game. 

Do you think those two players just started out that well?  Of course not, that game has likely been a part of their everyday life for the last 2-3 years so it makes sense they know exactly what they're doing.

If you watch two beginner players or even intermediate the video would be very different.

i agree with twesterm....if you watched sc with beginners....you'd see hordes of either dragoons vs hydralisk...trying to battle it out with sheer number...instead of getting the proper upgrades/skill/etc....

watch a video on youtube with world champions...they'll never go past 100 unit...they usually fight with like around 40-70 units at most...and they'll use all the skills available...

with sc1 most units still had skills/morph...i can actually name units that didn't have skills/morphing abilities

zealots, dragoons, scouts, dark templars

only thing that changed with sc2 is skills and unit...the fact that u still have to use skill and upgrade haven't changed...

EDIT

take out dark templar...forgot they can merge into dark archons