By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Anyone have much experience with the infernal DosBox?? Please help!

I downloaded  Classic RPG collection a few weeks back, and it was packed with many a great blast from the past which were among the first games I ever played. It just so happens that these games must be utilized by way of the dear 'ol MS Dos. Now, I have DosBox v.0.65 something or other that came with the game pack, but it won't work! Some games start up, but seize to function after a short while!

The pack contains among others;

Lands of Lore, Betrayal at Krondor, Ultima Series, Moonstone, Knights of Krynn and many other very good games that "old" gamers like me would appreciate. 

Around the Network

Grab the latest copy of dosbox and try that first. It is available at http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/.

If you still are having issues, can you give us a bit more depth as to what the problem is?

There is a readme near it , I had to consult it to , before I could play with it . Ut also depends from where you download it ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

yeah I have not yet encountered a game that did not run in dosBox. What exactly do you mean with seize to function? do they freeze?

aahhhh Lands of Lore... what an extrodinary game. I loved it!!!

I would suggest upping the CPU Cycles AFTER you launch the game (ctrl-F12) I had issues where DosBox would freeze when I launched The Incredible Machine after I upped the CPU Cycles, but you should increase them (unless you are running one of those old Dos games that have poorly designed timer systems that don't take the CPU speed in to account)

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X
Around the Network
LingLing said:
yeah I have not yet encountered a game that did not run in dosBox. What exactly do you mean with seize to function? do they freeze?

aahhhh Lands of Lore... what an extrodinary game. I loved it!!!

Well, Lands of Lore for instance, I managed to start it up and watch the intro and got to where I choose the protagonist I wish to play. But when I select him and the adventure is supposed to start, the screen goes black and stays that way, and then I have to reboot my rig for anything to function.

Other games just won't start at all (such as Betrayal in Krondor) and DosBox automatically shots down. Sometimes when this happens, my monitor pops out a message displaying my current resolution and says; Not Optimum Mode. I susally run my desktop at 1600X1200, but I tried changing down to 1024X768, 800X600 and even as low as SVGA: 640X480. 

Are you running in fullscreen?

if you are, just try running it windowed and see if you get the same results.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

How do I set it in windowed mode? It automatically assumes fullscreen upon booting the games.

try alt-enter once DosBox is running

you can also edit the dosbox.conf file in your install dir to disable fullscreen

CrashMan said:

try alt-enter once DosBox is running

you can also edit the dosbox.conf file in your install dir to disable fullscreen

Ok, thx! Hope I get all those classics to work!