By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Charts Week 16 (04/13/09 - 04/19/09)

Stop quoting Hyruken! Stop quoting people who quoted Hyruken! This is gettin' ridiculous!

Around the Network
Branko2166 said:
Kenology said:
Branko2166 said:
The competition is really heating up in Japan. Will be interesting to see if this is a Japan only phenomenon or if it spreads to other regions. At the end of the day if there is better competition, consumers will be the winners.

Judging from NPD, the latest UK figures, and VGChartz weekly numbers, this is only isolated to Japan with no signs of the other regions following suit.

That's true. Although I was thinking more in the coming months as opposed to right now for the other regions.

Also didn't the DSi just launch in the UK??

Personally while I believe Nintendo totally has America in the bag, I think Europe and Japan could make for decent battlegrounds. 

Well, judging from YTDs across the various chart data available, Nintendo has America, Europe, and Japan in the bag.

I disagree that Europe will be a battleground - between the 360 and PS3 perhaps, but that's about it.  Japan could potential to be a nice battleground, but even if the Wii and PS3 run neck and neck from now 'til the end of this gen, the Wii still wins.

@Soriku - stop being so hard to tres!

Soriku said:
trestres said:
Go PS3!!! :)

I love to see PS3 beating the Wii, feels right, as nothing is being done to prevent it.

I believe next week PS3 > Wii and during Golden Week as well.

Can't wait to see the numbers. Impressive that PS3 is now above Wii in YTD sales at least according to MC, Wii is falling behind at a very fast rate and now that we know that MHG won't help much, what's gonna happen? WSR and M+ could manage to bump up sales, but the boost has to be questioned. Expecting big things HW wise from WSR is illogical at this point. MH3 will be the deciding factor and tell us if the Wii was indeed a fad in Japan or not.

I would bet that PS3 is going to stay above the Wii until WSR.

This part is really, REALLY stupid and ignorant.

However, this will cause Nintendo to announce and release more big games to raise Wii sales :) Maybe some third party negotiating as well like they probably did for MH3 and DQ X (MH3 was announced at a Nintendo event, and Iwata was there when DQ X was announced...) So it's actually not too bad.

Though I wonder if FF XIII is this big and will raise PS3 HW a ton, what will the bigger DQ X do (even though this won't be out for a while...) when it finally releases for Wii?

A Hw ton?  How much is that?   A ton = 1000kg.   PS3 weight 8 kg....So 125 PS3's = a ton.

Soriku said:
Hmm...maybe a 125k FF XIII release week?

You find it hard to believe that PS3 can sell +125k when FFXIII is released while a demo of the game already pushed the PS3 above 50k?

in my book any PS3 fanboy who predicts 125k makes a safe bet.

Kenology said:
Stop quoting Hyruken! Stop quoting people who quoted Hyruken! This is gettin' ridiculous!

I'll just quote you instead! :)

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Around the Network

This is kind of random as far as requests go but...

Can someone either maintain a thread each week or list major announcements for Japanese release dates? We could all discuss the upcoming prospects of the game and then compare to the actual results while we waited.

As it stands now I dont have a reliable listing for Japanese release dates, I'm basically going by what I remember seeing announced.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Zucas said:
outlawauron said:
Hyruken said:
You have to laugh at the people trying to count a films sales as games sales.
Its a demo for crying out loud. Whats next we start to include how many times every demo was downloaded on PSN or XBLA etc?
If the film sold over 100k on its 1st day but only helped the PS3 to sell an additional 10k-20k in the whole week suggests to me that maybe not as many people bought the film because it had the demo, maybe the bought it because they have a Blu-Ray player and enjoy the film?

But that film sold nearly 400k and boosted PS3 by over 40k!

And yea how much did Dark Knight on blu-ray sell in its first week and how many blu-ray players did it sell.  That might be on a WW basis, but it makes this look quite miniscule. 

But on the larger side this was a very good boost PS3 but will more than likely be short lived.  Although Golden Week will help to offset some o the losses for a short time.  But once again this goes back to the relatively low amount of stability in Japan right now.  And we have to start thinking of things that could give one of the consoles stability.  MHG on Wii will release next week and give it a nice little jolt and then we'll have Golden weeks.  But will any of them get over the instability and start consistently outselling the competitor? 

Something needs to release and give one of those consoles that edge.  Or a price cut.  Who knows.  But for right now Japan is NOT a battleground.  Japan is an instable amount of electric jolts that amount to NOTHING.  Battlegrounds are close competitions on an a basis entirely not some weekly jolts.  If PS3 can assert itself as the stable console in the market and move on it's way to catching up to the Wii then we have a battleground.  Until then it's constant instability because of no clear top brand.  People may find it interesting, maybe even biasedly amusing, that Wii is on some of it's worst trends to date right now, but if PS3 (or 360) can't do anything about it... then who cares. 

As I've said before, one of those games that can affect that stability right now guys is Wii Sports Resort.  If there is anything releasing within the next few months that could do that... it's WSR.  I'm not saying it will, but if I were Sony and in this position where I have a true chance to turn something around, I'd make sure I do it before the sequel to the biggest cultural hit in gaming since Super Mario Bros. releases. 

So we can look at the weekly numbers in Japan and think we have an idea of how it's going to go but right now all you are seeing is weeks of instability due to the fall of the top brand.  It doesn't matter until someone reasserts itself as the top brand again.  It's not like Japan's hardware sales are close on any standard (Wii- 8 million, PS3- 3 million, 360- 1 million).  It's all about the realignment of brands.  PS3 can do it but it has to do better than what it has been doing if it wants to catch Nintendo and the Wii while its down.

But, Japan is battleground right now. Consoles are experiencing healthy compeitition. Right now.

The PS3 is about to pass the Wii's Year to Date sales. That's interesting and something that'll excite the usually stale Japanese market.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlaw - I don't think the PS3 beating the Wii will excite the market. Only fanboys.

Both consoles have sold so pitifully poor this year, and Japanese hardware sales for consoles is so nonexistant, it's like being the winner of the undercard in a prize fight.

The PS3 has sold ~400,000 units this year and beaten the Wii's YTD sales. Whoop-de-friggin-do. Way to compete in a market that is becoming irrelevant. Oh, and the PS3 has a ~5 million unit hardware deficit. So this is kind of irrelevant from a long-term standpoint.

That's not to say it isn't interesting to myself and others, because it is. But from a higher standpoint, this is nearly irrelevant.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I figure this will turn into a PSP vs DS in 2008 situation even if PS3 outsells Wii most of the year. The spikes from Motion plus, Monster Hunter G and 3, and whatever else is coming should be enough to keep Wii ahead even if PS3 outsold Wii 4, 6, 8 months of the year

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

@mrstickball

Japan is the 2nd largest gaming market, I wouldnt call it "irrelevant", there is the potential for consoles to gain momentum in japan, someone just has to hit it.

mM