By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Charts Week 16 (04/13/09 - 04/19/09)

It really depends on the demo. Even with the big releases, and including this week PS3 has only sold Wii eight weeks. It will probably extend to nine despite the coming MHG bump. If the demo is still in rabid demand on Golden Week (even for FFXIII I cant imagine more than 500,000-600,000 would pay $60 for a 30 minute demo - FFXIII will debut at probably 1.3m on PS3 - so I think 600k is fair for an LTD demo figure) the streak could extend, albeit with far less substantial weekly lead than this week for 11 weeks.

But after that?

There are only ten PS3 games scheduled to release between now and June 24.

Shin Sangoku Musou 5 Empires should do ok, and Agarest Senki will too but of the ten...thats kind of it. Killzone 2 isn't going to be anything special in Japan, and the others don't look big either.

PS3 should overtake Wii for the year in Japan on Famitsu sometime in the next few weeks, but ~May 10 to June 24 or so looks pretty quiet for PS3, so I could see Wii retaking the lead in mid/late May even if PS3 wins Golden Week, and then erasing the PS3 build up quickly once Wii Sports Resort comes out (probably mid June?)

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network
TheSource said:

It really depends on the demo. Even with the big releases, and including this week PS3 has only sold Wii eight weeks. It will probably extend to nine despite the coming MHG bump. If the demo is still in rabid demand on Golden Week (even for FFXIII I cant imagine more than 500,000-600,000 would pay $60 for a 30 minute demo - FFXIII will debut at probably 1.3m on PS3 - so I think 600k is fair for an LTD demo figure) the streak could extend, albeit with far less substantial weekly lead than this week for 11 weeks.

But after that?

Shin Sangoku Musou 5 Empires should do ok, and Agarest Senki will too but of the ten...thats kind of it. Killzone 2 isn't going to be anything special in Japan, and the others don't look big either.

PS3 should overtake Wii for the year in Japan on Famitsu sometime in the next few weeks, but ~May 10 to June 24 or so looks pretty quiet for PS3, so I could see Wii retaking the lead in mid/late May even if PS3 wins Golden Week, and then erasing the PS3 build up quickly once Wii Sports Resort comes out (probably mid June?)

Wot does Wii have other than Wii Resot till June 24th?

But these results surely going to tell Sony that they can definitely win Japan but ONLY WITH good software lineup.. so finally they might start giving Japanese gamers wot they want.

TheSource said:

I count 13, which doesn't seem too bad. I think Wii has around the same amount of releases over the period.

Killzone 2 should outsell Agarest Senki, it's a very niche low budget game. Atelier Rorona which releases same day will probably outsell Agarest Senki too, Bionic Commando might even outsell it.

Actually, the PS3 has Dinasty Warriors 5 as the biggest game at the end of May. That alone is bigger than any of the Wii games before WSR...

4/23

PS3: Killzone 2 (FFXIII Bundle 2nd week).

Wii: MHG + Classic Controller + MH3 Demo, Tomb Raider Underwolrd, Major Minor Majestic March.

4/30

PS3: Cruz del Sur Koei MMORPG, X-Blades, NHL2K9.

Wii: Power Pros 2009, Fish Eyes, a mini game compilation and a table game.

5/7 Nothing (Golden Week)

5/14

PS3: Nothing.

Wii: PES09.

5/21

Wii: Takt of Magic.

5/28

PS3: Tom Clancy's HAWX, Dinasty Warriors 5: Empires, Stranglehold (Best Price), Agarest Senki (Best Price).

Wii: Kizuna.

6/4

Wii: Arc Rise Fantasia.

6/11

Wii: New Play Control: Chibi Robo, New Play Control: Metroid Prime 2.

6/18

Wii: Wii Sports Resort + Wii Motion+.

6/25 (PS3 Price Cut??)

PS3: BlazBlue, BattleField: BC (Best Hits), Bionic Commando, Atelier Rorona, Agarest Senki Zero, Pure, Top Spin 3, Wanted: Weapons of Fate.

Wii: Top Spin 3, MySims Racing.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Just IMHO but 100+ k seems unlikly on MHG to me.
It will probably be reduced by P2P online (iirc it's this MH game which gets it) so it will be selling mostly to hardcore fans.
Or if it get's big number in first week it will have shorter legs that typical Wii titles.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network

PS3 is never going to win Japan or any other region, let's not get carried away here. The console however is showing that people want the games on the system and with the upcoming games for Japan and WW, I still expect the PS3 to outsell the 360 WW by the time all is said and done.

Wii will sell at least double what PS3 does WW is everything goes wrong from now on for the Wii and it's not going to happen. Very sad though but I have been around long enough to know quality =/= sales :(

MH3 will probably do a million with ease on the Wii but no where near 2 million, don't need my time machine to know that. The Japanese public is not mentally retarded, most MH fans know MH3 will make it to PSP soon enough so will wait for that version which will do 1 million week one. :O

papflesje said:
@ Kenology: I think most people just like the fact that Japan is a battlefield (for now) again.

Well, it certainly does makes things more interesting!

You have to laugh at the people trying to count a films sales as games sales.
Its a demo for crying out loud. Whats next we start to include how many times every demo was downloaded on PSN or XBLA etc?
If the film sold over 100k on its 1st day but only helped the PS3 to sell an additional 10k-20k in the whole week suggests to me that maybe not as many people bought the film because it had the demo, maybe the bought it because they have a Blu-Ray player and enjoy the film?

The competition is really heating up in Japan. Will be interesting to see if this is a Japan only phenomenon or if it spreads to other regions. At the end of the day if there is better competition, consumers will be the winners.

Hyruken said:
You have to laugh at the people trying to count a films sales as games sales.
Its a demo for crying out loud. Whats next we start to include how many times every demo was downloaded on PSN or XBLA etc?
If the film sold over 100k on its 1st day but only helped the PS3 to sell an additional 10k-20k in the whole week suggests to me that maybe not as many people bought the film because it had the demo, maybe the bought it because they have a Blu-Ray player and enjoy the film?

FFXIII demo boosted PS3 sales by over 40k this week.