By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 720p vs 1080i

which is considered "better"?

for games?

blu-ray?

espn hd?

I have both and cant tell much difference.  I dont know which is my"native" resolution for my tv as it has both. 

The TV is a Hitachi 51" rear projection model.  420p 720p 1080i 

Around the Network

There's actually a thread about this right on the front page.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=6846&start=0#end

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

they're discussing 720p vs 1080p. didnt want to shoot the thread in another direction so made a new one

actually the other is about 720p vs 1080p...but I still think this is a repeat thread....for the difference between 1080i/1080p try wikipedia.

It depends on what you're watching. Interlaced differs from progressive in that it alternately refreshes every other line of the screen rather than refreshing them all at once. 1080i has better picture clarity than 720p, however, it has ever so slight ghosting because the image doesn't refresh at as fast of a pace (overall). Therefore, static images, or images with little movement therein, will be better suited to 1080i, as you'll get the better image clarity without the ghosting. However, rapidly moving images (FPS, movies like Black Hawk Down, etc.) will probably look better in 720p.

Ultimately, it depends on what you yourself prefer. The ghosting (or the higher resolution) may be completely unnoticeable to you.

Around the Network

damn it , i dont want to know difference between 1080i and 1080p!

I want opinions on 720p vs 1080i

Sorry, I missed the bit about "native" resolution.

Your tv has a resolution of 720x1280. All 720p tvs have this, and thus 720p is the native resolution (although some newer 720p tvs, notably plasmas, have a resolution of 768x1366). 1080p tvs have a resolution of 1080x1920.

1080i works on a 720x1280 screen because, as I explained early, they only refresh every other line of the screen 60 times a second compared to every line simultaneously on a progressive set. As such, they can fit 1080 lines of resolution in a 720 screen, because not all are present at once. They alternate.

dgm6780 said:
damn it , i dont want to know difference between 1080i and 1080p!

I want opinions on 720p vs 1080i

I just explained the difference between progressive and interlaced, and why both 1080i and 720p have their advantages.  Read the whole paragraph this time, and it should help you. :P

1080p is better than 1080i

1080i looks just the same as 720p.

mM

720p is better on almost everything. There are actually more lines per second based on the way progressive draws vs. interlaced. That is one of the reasons why many sports channels switched to 720p signals.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson