By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do you think first/second party support will continue?

When it comes to sales I want games to sell well not to say "ha ha the game on my system sold better then the system you own" but so that development of games continue. First party PS3 games have done less then stellar and one would think the first party PS3 games cost quite a large amount to make.

Only 9 games from first and second party (sony fund the game development) have passed 1 million sales and all those games look to be of high budget. Also many were heavily bundled so Sony did not make a penny from those sales, R:FOM and Motorstorm came with every bundle at the beginning, they were unofficial but all stores gave the option of choosing one of those games. It would be nice if someone had an idea about HD development costs in general but from here I would think the Sony funded games are not making profit.

Of the upcoming games GT5, GOW III, Uncharted 2, next R&C game, MAG are the guaranteed million sellers but I do wonder if sales would cover all those development costs, besides GT5.

With all that said do you think first party support will continue? I hope it continues but am doubtful, sure Sony get more income for every copy sold for a first/second game compared to third parties but I doubt they are making sufficient profit to continue. Studios will be sold off to other companies is my guess.

Ironically I rent games so need to stop with that -_- .....expect 3rd parties :P

Around the Network

i think they will continue,

You should be beaten, burned to ashes then someone should throw your ashes from a plane

Some of the biggest games on the 360 have been first or second party (Halo, Gears). Nintendo is famous for their first party might. By the way, a game doesn't have to sell a million to be successful. A lot of people seem to forget that. Singstar on the PS3 may not have sold a million, but I'm sure that it made a lot of money.

I'm not talking about Singstar though, I'm talking about the games with high production values which one thinks would need 1 million to at last break even ala Uncharted 2.

RPG said:
I'm not talking about Singstar though, I'm talking about the games with high production values which one thinks would need 1 million to at last break even ala Uncharted 2.

So...why does that matter? It shouldn't matter what games make profit so long as the company somehow does.

Around the Network
RPG said:

When it comes to sales I want games to sell well not to say "ha ha the game on my system sold better then the system you own" but so that development of games continue. First party PS3 games have done less then stellar and one would think the first party PS3 games cost quite a large amount to make.

Only 9 games from first and second party (sony fund the game development) have passed 1 million sales and all those games look to be of high budget. Also many were heavily bundled so Sony did not make a penny from those sales, R:FOM and Motorstorm came with every bundle at the beginning, they were unofficial but all stores gave the option of choosing one of those games. It would be nice if someone had an idea about HD development costs in general but from here I would think the Sony funded games are not making profit.

Of the upcoming games GT5, GOW III, Uncharted 2, next R&C game, MAG are the guaranteed million sellers but I do wonder if sales would cover all those development costs, besides GT5.

With all that said do you think first party support will continue? I hope it continues but am doubtful, sure Sony get more income for every copy sold for a first/second game compared to third parties but I doubt they are making sufficient profit to continue. Studios will be sold off to other companies is my guess.

Ironically I rent games so need to stop with that -_- .....expect 3rd parties :P

First and second party games are the only games keeping the PS3 a float. You better hope that supports continues.

.....huh? If a certain studio is producing games which do not break even I would think Sony would not allow that to continue. GT5 would pay for the developent of Uncharted 2, GOW III and MAG but would Sony want that one studio to be the one which has to bail out the other studios?

I don't think so, at best I expect Sony to cut off the excess fat ala get rid of the useless studios such as Team ICO.

they will be fine.

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

RPG said:
.....huh? If a certain studio is producing games which do not break even I would think Sony would not allow that to continue. GT5 would pay for the developent of Uncharted 2, GOW III and MAG but would Sony want that one studio to be the one which has to bail out the other studios?

I don't think so, at best I expect Sony to cut off the excess fat ala get rid of the useless studios such as Team ICO.

This is completely different from what you were saying in your thread title and original post. Stop switching the goalposts (and I hate that term).

To answer your thread title: Yes.

RPG said:

I'm not going to agree or disagree with you here, but I will give you this: