By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Tea Parties: Whats really going on?

HappySqurriel said:
theprof00 said:
@kasz

Yes, when the demonstrations were going on under Bush administration, Bush had sub 50% approval rating. Obama has higher than 50% approval rating.

There were tons of protests against the War in Iraq and at the time Bush's approval rating was well above 50% ... I doubt you questioned the validity of those protests, or defended Bush with the protests after his second election win by pointing out that he won the election with the majority of popular vote.

You are right, I never questioned those protests. Just as the Bush administration never questioned the validity of there being WMDs.

I think two elections worth of thousands of ballots being destroyed in primarily republican states was enough to let us know that we weren't going to win no matter what we did.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
HappySqurriel said:
theprof00 said:
@kasz

Yes, when the demonstrations were going on under Bush administration, Bush had sub 50% approval rating. Obama has higher than 50% approval rating.

There were tons of protests against the War in Iraq and at the time Bush's approval rating was well above 50% ... I doubt you questioned the validity of those protests, or defended Bush with the protests after his second election win by pointing out that he won the election with the majority of popular vote.

You are right, I never questioned those protests. Just as the Bush administration never questioned the validity of there being WMDs.

I think two elections worth of thousands of ballots being destroyed in primarily republican states was enough to let us know that we weren't going to win no matter what we did.

Do you ever try to think for yourself or can you only respond with partisan talking points?

The protests against the war are very similar to the protests against the bailout and out of control spending ... It is a collection of people who firmly believe that the direction the government is taking the country in will make it worse in the long run. If you examine any of these protests in detail you would find that very few of them are what you would call "Grassroots" and that they all involve opportunists who help organize the protests for political gain.

@totalwar
I know, but there was still a tax on the tea. However, the total amount for the tea with the tax was cheaper than other avenues. The tax was still higher than homegrown tea because townshend was an import tax. EIC was in trouble and so was Europe. Supporting EIC helped Britain.

Those people who identified themselves as British were called "loyalists". There was a clear divide between colonists and "torries".

@kasz
Like I said I don't know which side is protesting the G20 or who is sponsoring them. I am in favor of the G20.

I'm starting to fear for democracy in America.  More and more we are having trouble settling elections out of court (Franken-Coleman, Bush-Gore, etc.) and now a bunch of fools want to leave the United States because their candidate didnt win the election.

theprof00 said:
@totalwar
I know, but there was still a tax on the tea. However, the total amount for the tea with the tax was cheaper than other avenues. The tax was still higher than homegrown tea because townshend was an import tax. EIC was in trouble and so was Europe. Supporting EIC helped Britain.

Those people who identified themselves as British were called "loyalists". There was a clear divide between colonists and "torries".

@kasz
Like I said I don't know which side is protesting the G20 or who is sponsoring them. I am in favor of the G20.

Extreme left wingers... which is the point.   You're seeing protests as valid or invalid based soley on your political opinions.  This is illogical.

A protest conducted by the Klu Klux Klan is just as valid as a protest by an anti child abuse orginization.

Around the Network

@kasz and what do you base your points on?

ManusJustus said:

I'm starting to fear for democracy in America. More and more we are having trouble settling elections out of court (Franken-Coleman, Bush-Gore, etc.) and now a bunch of fools want to leave the United States because their candidate didnt win the election.

The 2000 and 2004 election had tons of Democrats who claimed that they were going to "Move to Canada" because Bush won ... I could be wrong but I suspect similar sentiments were made after the Clinton, Bush, Regan and (many) of the elections through history.

theprof00 said:
@kasz and what do you base your points on?

When he talked about different protests your response was which ones you thought were right and which weren't.  Which is irrelevent.

Neo Nazis have as much right to protest as victims of Japanese internment.

Payback's a bitch isn't it Dems? This is not a GOP thing as there was liber, Dems, white, black, Asian, hispanic, young and old there. Get off that MSNBC and Commi News Network high horse and ask people what is really going on and how they feel. Or are you too elite to do so?

@kasz
you critiszied me for not siding with extreme liberals.

@halo
"commi network", really? I can see that talking to you would be constructive.

@happysquirrel
Moving to another country is different than saying they are going to secede by force.