By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Tea Parties: Whats really going on?

@totalwar
it wasn't about the price. It was about who was making the money off of it. You think everyone cares about the lowest price?

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
@totalwar
it wasn't about the price. It was about who was making the money off of it. You think everyone cares about the lowest price?

Your right. The East India Company was suppose to sell their cargo to the middleman, like American merchants. Tea smugglers were also making money by smuggling in cheaper tea but the Tea Act would take away all that as it would mean Parliament allowed a monopoly control over the colonies by one company. So why would the tea tax trigger the Boston Tea Party when the colonists didn't mind it for about the six years it was in place?

Buying tea from EIC would support British economy. Several higher ups in Boston knew this and got the colonists to unite against it.
What tax is this that you are talking about? the townshend tax? It was a few pence and the tea act tax was a penny, but the tea itself was cheaper, but supposedly higher quality.

@kasz

Yes, when the demonstrations were going on under Bush administration, Bush had sub 50% approval rating. Obama has higher than 50% approval rating.

@theprof

I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying ...

I never once heard anyone question the motives of the AIG protest or the news media that covered it even though all of the protestors were paid to be there by a highly political organization, or the fact that there were dozens of far larger grass-roots "Tea-Party" protests going on the same day that received no coverage. At the same time, you don't question the protests that happened at the G20 meeting even though most of them are organized by heavily political organizations and quite a few of the protestors were paid to be there.

If you look at the popularity of books like Mark Levin's Liberty and Tyranny, Jonah Goldberg's Liberal Fascism,  Ronald Pestritto's American Progressivism and Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged as well as the growing popularity of talk show hosts like Rush Limbaugh and Glen Beck it should be clear that there has been a massive growth in interest in conservative though recently due to the actions of the government (starting with the last year of the Bush Administration). As many people are outraged and willing to protest as any political movement in the past 20 years and the fact that conservative commentators were able to motivate these people to protest does not change this fact ...

Around the Network

I prefer coffee.

The fact that Fox News was involved really gave it no importance to me.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

The tea is made of sour grapes

theprof00 said:
Buying tea from EIC would support British economy. Several higher ups in Boston knew this and got the colonists to unite against it.
What tax is this that you are talking about? the townshend tax? It was a few pence and the tea act tax was a penny, but the tea itself was cheaper, but supposedly higher quality.

The Tea Act was not design to tax the colonies. It had nothing to do with taxation. In fact, the East India Company asked Parliament to repeal the Townshend Tax with the Tea Act but Parliament needed the money. Not to mention that the colonials thought themselves as British. Even afterwards, some colonists were offering to pay for the destroyed tea.

theprof00 said:
@kasz

Yes, when the demonstrations were going on under Bush administration, Bush had sub 50% approval rating. Obama has higher than 50% approval rating.

There were tons of protests against the War in Iraq and at the time Bush's approval rating was well above 50% ... I doubt you questioned the validity of those protests, or defended Bush with the protests after his second election win by pointing out that he won the election with the majority of popular vote.

theprof00 said:
@kasz

That doesn't mean a majority of the people approved of a lot of the different protests.

Also there were plenty of protests before then.  G20 protests were happening when Bush was loved.

Hell they were happening when Clinton was loved!