By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Tea Parties: Whats really going on?

theprof00 said:
I never said they were a part of the protests, and I never agreed with Garofolo at all, but instead said that maybe only 20% of those people are actually racist.

Ok, but 20% of what group of people?  If you're not saying the people who were part of the protest then what people?

And this is what I mean by racist. If any decision is made, in a negative way, based on a person's skin color. Imagine you are a manager hiring new applicants and you have 4 qualified people's resumes on your desk; 2 are white 2 are black (people). Say you still need to cut at least one more person from the list due to standard practices. If you cut a black person because you think that either a) they get enough help already from AA or b) hiring a black person will not help their stature in life due to... "wealth". Then you have just decided something using a racist bias.

I agree, actually...which from this means you are agreeing that AA is racism.  Because by this scenario we simply replace the black man for the white man and pass him up because of the "advantages" he gets...So under AA you've just decided something using a racist bias.  If skipping over a black man because you think he, as a black man, has gotten unfair advantage from AA is racism (which I agree it is in a subtle form) than so too is skipping over a white man because you think he gets unfair advantage from being white.

I want to be clear though, I'm not even arguing whether a white man gets advantages..I think it is immaterial.  The simple fact is that if a white man gets an advantage it is due to the racism of others and I fail to see how being racist towards white people  (ie implementing AA) balances that.  Why should racism cancel racism?  Its still racism, and in fact it increases the amount of racism in the world.

I was merely saying that at least 20% of those people were like that, and might possibly also carry a problem with a black person in an authority position. The mind is a tricky thing, and just thoughts like, "black people are poor because they do not come from old money", can subtely become reasons for dissent.

First, it's very hard for either of us to speek with any kind of authority on a specific crowd on a specific day.  But I actually have something to back my claim up..even if it is anecdotal.  Do you have anything other than pure conjecture to support the claim that this specific crowd from this specific day was made up 20% of people who exhibit the kind of racism you're referring to?  And if so can you show how that is any different from any crowd of people? 

I was arguing against a point that less than 1% of people are racist, which simply isn't true.

This point is fairly vague, so...  If you think that more than 1% of these crowds were overtly racist than I think you're out of your damn mind.  If you're saying that more than 1% were subconsiously racist then I would say we (neither of us) have any real clue about that and it doesn't matter anyways.

Here is why it doesn't matter:  Dissent either has merit or it doesn't.  If you think this dissent lacks a legitimate point then it should be easy to dismantle that point and the point shouldn't resonate with people.  The problem is that polling suggests that more than 50% of americans view the tea parties favorably which suggests that this movement is resonating. Additionally I have yet to see a single position or argument being supported by the movement that is even accused of being racist, racially motivated, etc... So where is the beef of the proposition that this movement is racist?  If you don't think the movement is racist then why is the discussion in reference to Tea Parties?  If you're making a general point then why specify these tea parties? Does your position have any more merit than labeling any random protest about any random thing as 2-% formed by racists?

Are you trying to say that simply because a black man is included in the group of people they are upset with that they are automatically being racist?  If you can't support an argument for why you think this group of people is made up of even one quarter subconsciously racists individuals then why do you think it is legitimate to marganlize their views and their dissent by labeling them racist? 

To be honest I think this entire discussion is disengenuine and that the entire point of bringing up racism is to take time away from the discussion of their ideas and instead focus it on whether or not they are racist...despite a massive lack of evidence or support for that idea and in fact the counterevidence of at least one instance where overt racism was shouted down by the crowd.

Do you recognize that labeling a specific person or a specific group of people as racists is dangerous?  Do you understand that you should be absolutely sure and that you should be able to back it up? Because I have yet to see anything suggesting that this crowd of people is racist, at best I've seen from news clips is that 1 or 2 people were racists out of four hundred thousand.  You would need another three thousand nine-hunderd and ninety-eight before you could claim that 1% were being racist and even then it would be grossly irresponsible to label the group as racist.

If I'm mistating or missing your point in any way please be as explicit as possible and restate it in such a way as I will be unable to mistake it again. 

PS - Seemed like you had moved on =P

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

I don't think fox had any trouble when there was wasteful spending during the bush administration.
Their hypocrisy grows..

I would like to know their pundits solution to getting rid of the 13 trillion dollar debt. Bitching ain't gonna fix things.

However, I do think the bailout was so fucking stupidly designed it makes me sick. Pelosi is also corrupt... Remember that mouse project of hers?
I don't know, guess I have lost faith in American politics. Can we get party that isn't bullshitting the public with one lie or another?

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

theprof00 said:
I never said they were a part of the protests, and I never agreed with Garofolo at all, but instead said that maybe only 20% of those people are actually racist.

And this is what I mean by racist. If any decision is made, in a negative way, based on a person's skin color. Imagine you are a manager hiring new applicants and you have 4 qualified people's resumes on your desk; 2 are white 2 are black (people). Say you still need to cut at least one more person from the list due to standard practices. If you cut a black person because you think that either a) they get enough help already from AA or b) hiring a black person will not help their stature in life due to... "wealth". Then you have just decided something using a racist bias.

I was merely saying that at least 20% of those people were like that, and might possibly also carry a problem with a black person in an authority position. The mind is a tricky thing, and just thoughts like, "black people are poor because they do not come from old money", can subtely become reasons for dissent.

I was arguing against a point that less than 1% of people are racist, which simply isn't true.

@kasz, citing journal articles tries my patience, I don't like to spend all my time reading pages upon pages of articles, especially at work where my internet connection is like 2bs per sec...

I kind of got off topic, but I really think you should understand that racism is not an overt practice. It is covert and subtle, and people will dress it up as anything else in order not to get in trouble over it.

In response to the transitive assets idea. I understand what you guys are trying to say. But what you don't realize is that it is just a rebranding of the word slavery.
Transitive assets are the houses and money brought over from europe, and early companies set up in the 17-1800's. Black people have had almost no rights until the 60's and have had no opportunity to develop these assets. Transitive assets might as well have been illegal as far as the discussion is concerned.
Taking away AA in lieu of TA is a terrible reason. That is all I'm arguing here.

I just want you guys to know that there hasn't been much backlash against the president's color. There should be. In this day and age, there should be a lot more, but we don't hear about it. That's because it's being similarly rebranded as something else. We need to be vigilant of motivations like these, and that requires both sides playing devil's advocate and really trying to prove our own sides wrong before we buy into them.

Even if this were the case.  It would show up in the statistics.  It doesn't.  When you account for wealth black and white people roughly end up at the same level.   Drop some poor immigrants from Slovenia in the same neighberhood as a poor black kids... and they're going to end up at about the same places in life.  

Not quite.  Actually transitive wealth is an issue that largely came about AFTER slavery.  Before the Civil Rights era.  The biggest transitive wealth factor was the Homestead Act passed by Abhram Lincoln... sure it happened during slavery but the majority of the claiming came afterwords.  The other big ones mostly happened under FDR.  Though he helped out black people... he helped out white people substantially more.  Also... once again.  That is racism in the past.  Before this White people had relativly few transitive assets as well outside of a small minority.  These acts increased white wealth across the board, making the poor white richer.

The effects of racism in the past if still felt today.   The effects of modern racism however aren't statistically relevant.

It's as if White and Black people were each one person... and up until the Civil rights era... the black person was poisoned.

The effects of the poison have effected the development of the body... but the poison isn't there anymore.  Things like Affrimitive Action try and treat current poison.  Which isn't around anymore.  You can pour all the antitidote you want down the body... it isn't going to fix anything.  You need to adjust the structural damage that was done.

You need an equivlent "Black Homestead act".  Of course you just can't have black people walking around saying "This is my house now".  A black homestead act though allowing them to buy houses with government assistance.  Would of been a better use of the Bailout money then most of the stuff obama is using it on.  Would of revitalized the realestate market.  Maybe even the construction market.

There isn't much backlash about the presidents color because... there aren't that many people that are truley racist.  Some people might of said "A black president i'm not sure about that..." but after they heard the speeches.  It was based soley on the merit of his ideas.

Why is this about race? Are you liberals that obsessed with race that you feel the need to label anybody who doesn't agree with your views or our president as a racist? Seriously, stop race bating and get on with life!

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

Some of you are overreacting. I posted that original clip because it was funny, just like I would post a Bill O'Reily clip because it was funny. Not all of us believe this was motivated by race.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

Thats a good thing, but some are taking this and making it all about race. Why the hell does it matter what color a person's skin is? Why are we so infatuated by race? Why must we force people to hire a certain number of ethnicities? this is reverse racism people. I personally refuse to call people African-American, Latin-American, or anything other than AMERICAN. I don't care if you are black, white, green, yellow, or purple. you are a person and should be looked at as a human being not a statistic.

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson