By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Software Averages Broken Down

Has anyone ever looked at how much software Nintendo sells year in and year out? It is amazing. 2.2 billion in sales over 27 years, is an average of 81.48 million/year or 1.57 million pieces of software/week. According to this website, Japan + Americas sales in 2006 = 33 million + 26.5 million/ 59.5 million. Throw in Europe at (maybe) 23 million or so and you get roughly the average... Now, the question is, is the 1.57 million a consistant figure? Take the week ending March 4th...384,000 in Japan. Zelda, Wii Play, Excite Truck, Wario Ware, Yoshi's Island 2 DS, Nintendogs, Brain Age, Big Brain Academy, New Super Mario Brothers..probably add up to around 300,000 with a plethora of smaller titles bring it up to 400,000 or so. Add in 300,000 for Europe..and it is around 1-1.1 million units sold. Compare that to.. The week ending Feb 24...500,000 in Japan. Probably about the same in North America with Wii Play, and the rest selling stronger due to more recent release. With Europe, you meet the average I think. But then you throw in weeks like the one that ends Dec 24, 2006... 2.2 million for Japan..1.8 million for Americas...1.5 million for Europe?...5.5 million in one week, which accounts for weeks like March 4 (and would offset nearly 3 others as well). I suspect there are maybe 6 super weeks for Nintendo a year (like the week ending Dec 24th), which offset around 18 below average weeks. That leaves 36 weeks of average sales of 1.57 million.. Impressive.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

Impressive.
...to say the least.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. -Mark Twain

2004 Lincoln LSV8 - ~$15,000

K&N Cold Air Intake - $300

Handheld ECU Reprogrammer - $400

The look on a ricer's face when they get their ass beat off the line by a Lincoln - Priceless

So it comes down to this, Nintendo sells a lot of games!

THE NETHERLANDS

Most are GameBoy sales as the GC didn't fair well in america..or europe. Nintendo is looking for their first gen victory sense the SNES. Since then the Big N has been #2 or #3. But they sell because Japan eats them for dinner almost and they are cheap.

Death2009 said: Most are GameBoy sales as the GC didn't fair well in america..or europe. Nintendo is looking for their first gen victory sense the SNES. Since then the Big N has been #2 or #3. But they sell because Japan eats them for dinner almost and they are cheap.
Actually if I recall correctly the N64 and Gamecube did far better in North America than they did in Japan.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Around the Network

vanguardian1 said: Death2009 said: Most are GameBoy sales as the GC didn't fair well in america..or europe. Nintendo is looking for their first gen victory sense the SNES. Since then the Big N has been #2 or #3. But they sell because Japan eats them for dinner almost and they are cheap. Actually if I recall correctly the N64 and Gamecube did far better in North America than they did in Japan.
I just saw the numbers, that shocked me. Could have sworn they did better there. Oh well, can't win them all.

No surprise. Nintendo is the number one developer in terms of actual game quality, quantity and raw sales numbers. I don't think any game publisher even comes close. Sony has a few gems but not as much as Nintendo. EA breeds games like rabbits but most are hardly stellar. SE(FF, DQ), Capcom(Megaman, RE), Konami(MGS, DDR), Rockstar(GTA) and other notable developers/publishers have some really great IPs but not the numbers(Nintendo has Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Wii brand games and Brain Training[did I miss any?]). It's the primary reason that there probably won't be a console war without the big N in a pretty long time. The old adage that to Nintendo is Nintendo's greatest enemy when it comes to the third party performance on its hardware is not a myth.