Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metal Slug vs Contra

Which one do you like more?

Metal Slug 33 71.74%

Contra 13 28.26%

Total:46

Metal Slug was just balls out fun

Around the Network

Rawket Lawnchair!

Metal Slug is the much better series. The first Contra was great, but the rest not so much...

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

amp316 said:
Metal Slug is the much better series. The first Contra was great, but the rest not so much...

Contra 3 (SNES) was pretty damn good.  I would suspect you enjoyed that game?  

sethnintendo said:
amp316 said:

It was alright, but not anywhere as good as the original.  This is all my own opinion of course.

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
amp316 said:
sethnintendo said:
amp316 said:

It was alright, but not anywhere as good as the original.  This is all my own opinion of course.

All good.  It was mainly from memory from childhood for me that I hold a fondness for Contra 3.  I first saw Contra 3 when my cousin brought his SNES over.  I was so shocked with how the graphics looked so superb that I couldn't get enough of it (aka why I can't really be too much of a graphics whore considering I started out during Atari 2600/NES days).  I replayed it actually with the same cousin about 10-15 years later on Wii VC and we still had a blast.  I believe we got to the final boss but ran out of lives. 

You ever try Metal Slug Advance?  I believe I even wrote a review about it on this site awhile ago.  I highly recommend it even though it deviates a little from the original formula (mainly having a health bar and able to collect cards that power up weapons, metal slugs, etc..)

sethnintendo said:
amp316 said:
sethnintendo said:
amp316 said:

All good.  It was mainly from memory from childhood for me that I hold a fondness for Contra 3.  I first saw Contra 3 when my cousin brought his SNES over.  I was so shocked with how the graphics looked so superb that I couldn't get enough of it (aka why I can't really be too much of a graphics whore considering I started out during Atari 2600/NES days).  I replayed it actually with the same cousin about 10-15 years later on Wii VC and we still had a blast.  I believe we got to the final boss but ran out of lives. 

You ever try Metal Slug Advance?  I believe I even wrote a review about it on this site awhile ago.  I highly recommend it even though it deviates a little from the original formula (mainly having a health bar and able to collect cards that power up weapons, metal slugs, etc..)

No, I have to check it out.  I own Metal Slug Anthology though and still play it once in a while.

Yea, Metal Slug Anthology on Wii is a very nice collection. The ability to continue unlimited kind of made it a lot easier but I believe there is a way to tinker with the amount of lives. Without the unlimited lives I probably wouldn't have beaten all of them or it would have taken me a lot longer.

You should also check out Top Hunter: Roddy & Cathy from SNK (Neo Geo). It is on VC and it is similar to Metal Slug but different in many ways. At first I was like this game is like so-so when compared to Metal Slug. However, it is pretty fun once you get going further into the game. A lot of the levels you jump back and forth between the foreground and background. There are also special moves for each character like you would do for a street fighter move (like throwing a fireball motion).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Hunter:_Roddy_%26_Cathy