By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metal Slug vs Contra

Which one do you like more?

Metal Slug 33 71.74%

Contra 13 28.26%

Total:46

Uh... Metal Slug, but barely, for the vehicles and bosses, and gorgeous animation. Contra 1, 3, and 4 are freaking amazing though. I wasn't as into Contra on the PlayStation when I was fighting talking dogs and plant people though... one of the biggest fridge-nukes in gaming history if you ask me.

EDIT: Oh yeah, also Metal Slug for the guy's voice saying "ROCKET LAWNCHAIR!"  It never gets old.

Around the Network

Glad to see the love for Metal Slug!!! Both are great series.

Contra's fanbase owns though. They create stuff like this:

^^

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

Contra easily, it had awesome music, cool weapons, and the fact that there was lots of cheap shots gave it a lot of replay value! (ya know, gotta memorize when those shots are coming!)

What are you looking at, nerd?

Contra. I only ever loved Contra 1 & 4, but that is enough to be better than almost any game.

As for my metal slug experience, I've only played 7 for the DS.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network
SHMUPGurus said:
Contra's fanbase owns though. They create stuff like this:

^^

That is a pretty bad ass song.  I am a little lazy to get the best Metal Slug song and unfortunately doesn't seem like I can find a user made song for Metal Slug yet....  Here is a decent one but not as good sounding as yours.  It starts at pretty tight.

This thread reminds me that I need to pick up Metal Slug Anthology.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

^Is that a vote for Metal Slug? Watch out on buying on ebay. I bought 2 Metal Slug Anthology for Wii and both were listed as very good. They both had scratches and one had a deep scratch that prevented 6 from playing. I gave that copy to my friend. Picked them both up for total of about $28 which included shipping. Both users had good ratings but I guess I got a little screwed. The other copy messed up with 3 read errors but hasn't messed up recently.

Everybody needs Metal Slug Anthology. It's on Wii, PSP, and PS2. How can you beat 7 games in 1!

Also, while I'm voting for Metal Slug as a franchise, I think Contra 1 and 3 are 2 of the best games to ever grace the genre. I can't really discuss this anymore without my brain falling apart and me changing my mind.

Contra does have better music, and the Minibosses rock the hell out of it. This will solve the music debate:

I saw them do that live so many times, and they used to do this one level from Blaster Master and then go right into Contra, and the crowd would go insane and we'd all mosh and stagedive, like true nerds gone wild.

sethnintendo said:
^Is that a vote for Metal Slug? Watch out on buying on ebay. I bought 2 Metal Slug Anthology for Wii and both were listed as very good. They both had scratches and one had a deep scratch that prevented 6 from playing. I gave that copy to my friend. Picked them both up for total of about $28 which included shipping. Both users had good ratings but I guess I got a little screwed. The other copy messed up with 3 read errors but hasn't messed up recently.

Sure, I'll vote for Metal Slug.

Thanks for the warning.  I'll try to find it new if I can.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)