By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony Copied Microsoft, But Where Is The Backlash?

It happens. Though I promise if Microsoft stole the idea from Sony we'd never hear the end of it, it doesn't matter.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Around the Network
HanzoTheRazor said:
Achivements are just "High Scores", really. Now, how long have highe score games been around? I remember the draw card for me to play my first arcade games was beating that persons high score, and I never gave up till I did. Gallaga, 1942, Space Invaders etc, etc getting my name and score into those machines memory for all time was a joy.

So, what is really the BIG difference with M$ achivements?

Achievements are descendants of the high score. It is not the same exact thing. Your argument is the equivalent of saying no FPS has innovated since Wolfenstein 3D since that game started the genre.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

MontanaHatchet said:
Jeronimo66 said:
Signalstar said:
Jeronimo66 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Microsoft copied Sony with the Vision Camera, Lips, etc. Companies copy winning strategies.

Yes you are right but, vision games are not an industry standard achievements are.

Achievements are a must vision camera games are not.

If they are an industry standard then why are they absent from the most popular console and handheld ie, the industry leaders? Yes Sony stole the idea and they know it everyone knows it but Sony heard people bitching on the internet how PSN sucked because it didn't have achievements and decided to end that argument.

Because the Wii is not competing directly with the 360 I think.

Bwa ha ha ha ha. You are so wrong on every point.

Noticed I used the word directly, I would say the Wii is competition but it is too different to be direct competition in my opinion, and why would people need achievements on the Wii when 360 games are not on the Wii, but 360 games are on the PS3, another reason why I don't feel Nintendo is competing directly.

Shadowblind said:

It happens. Though I promise if Microsoft stole the idea from Sony we'd never hear the end of it, it doesn't matter.

Exactly my point of creating this thread.

There was plently of backlash at the time. Although, you don't see as much sony bashing on this site, the sony fans are over represented here.

Which is kind of sad because I really like sony a lot, but I feel myself siding with microsoft a lot on here just because I feel they are getting the short end of the stick.

Around the Network
Jeronimo66 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Jeronimo66 said:
Signalstar said:
Jeronimo66 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Microsoft copied Sony with the Vision Camera, Lips, etc. Companies copy winning strategies.

Yes you are right but, vision games are not an industry standard achievements are.

If they are an industry standard then why are they absent from the most popular console and handheld ie, the industry leaders? Yes Sony stole the idea and they know it everyone knows it but Sony heard people bitching on the internet how PSN sucked because it didn't have achievements and decided to end that argument.

Noticed I used the word directly, I would say the Wii is competition but it is too different to be direct competition in my opinion, and why would people need achievements on the Wii when 360 games are not on the Wii, but 360 games are on the PS3, another reason why I don't feel Nintendo is competing directly.

Well then, define direct. There's no denying that the higher sales of the Wii have resulted in lower sales for the 360, so what's your definition? The Wii may have different demographics and different games, but so did the PS2 versus the Xbox and Gamecube. Didn't mean it wasn't it competition.

@OP I am glad that u put in your post that M$ has copied much. They are after all the copy kings and have very little identity to show for it! Respect to M$... yeh, right.

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

MontanaHatchet said:
Jeronimo66 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Jeronimo66 said:
Signalstar said:
Jeronimo66 said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Well then, define direct. There's no denying that the higher sales of the Wii have resulted in lower sales for the 360, so what's your definition? The Wii may have different demographics and different games, but so did the PS2 versus the Xbox and Gamecube. Didn't mean it wasn't it competition.

LOL, I just proved they are not direct competition with the multiplatform game example, sorry if I got you on that one, but I am an experienced forum poster, not on VG because I am new here, but still pretty experienced.

Onyxmeth said:
ssj12 said:
Onyxmeth said:
shio said:
"achievements" have existed on games since the dawn of time, way before Microsoft started using them, so I can't even see your argument.

How many games had unlockable achievements before Microsoft started this? A handful maybe? How many platforms had mandatory achievements that connected the achievements of all games through a central system? The only three systems I know of in existence are the achievements system on 360, the trohy system on PS3, and the achievement system on Steam. I know PS3 came last(hehe...that sounded dirty). When did Steam do theirs?

When was Steamworks released?

and so while Microsoft was the first one to make a unified system you just confirmed yourself that they just improved upon a preexisting idea. Just like how Sony has improved upon the achievement system making it feel more RPG-ish with the gamer level system versus basing it all around how many points they have.

That was a legitimate question, not an argumentive "shove it in your face" one. I really don't know when Steam started their cross game achievements system. If they came first then I'll give them all the credit in the world. If it came after MS's then I won't.

@shio-If you ever feel like giving my reply to you a legitimate response that addresses the points I made, I'll be happy to shoot the shit with you over it. However, that response you gave me was worthless and frankly uncharacteristic of you. You aren't always correct but at least you give an effort. That was merely laziness.

Steam came after, I know that much. I answered your question with my own question of when which I believe it was 2007 as to when but I think its when Steamworks was released. Not 100% sure.

All I know is while Microsoft was the first to unify I remember games that go back before the PS1 that had "achievements" or a reward system that unlocked ribbons, badges, or some form of "you did this or that." No matter how you look at it, achievements and trophies are nothing more than an old fashion reward system pulled out of games.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Jeronimo66 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Jeronimo66 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Jeronimo66 said:
Signalstar said:
Jeronimo66 said:
MontanaHatchet said:

LOL, I just proved they are not direct competition with the multiplatform game example, sorry if I got you on that one, but I am an experienced forum poster, not on VG because I am new here, but still pretty experienced.

Oh ho ho, you're such an experienced forum poster. Now define direct and tell me how they're not in direct competition when the sales of the Wii clearly affect 360 sales. You can do it. It should be easy, you're an experienced forum poster like everyone frickin' else here.