By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the Virtual Console Ocarina Of Time upscaled?

There is a "remastered" version of OoT available for the gamecube that supposedly has "enhanced graphics" but I'm assuming it was just a re-rendered project at higher resolution and nothing else.  Is the VC version of OoT in the original native resolution of the N64 or is it resolution-enhance also?

Also, has anyone seen the two side by side -- i.e. N64 OoT and the Gamecube "remastered" version?  Is there any real difference?

Couple of people in my family are now hooked on Zelda after playing TP and are jones'n for more Zelda for the Wii...  

Besides OoT and Wind Waker is there anything else they should consider?

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

A link to the past, definently

also, Majora's mask might be an idea.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Whoops, one more question. I'm a fairly Noob Wii owner. Do I have to have the classic controller to play OoT on VC? If so it would be cheaper to get the Cube Remastered one...

Thx

I hate trolls.

Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

either a gamecube controller or the classic controller yes

i had the special edition of windwaker so i also had the remastered OoT one on the cube.

but it depends how much it costs really. Maybe if you can get windwaker special edition you get them both =)

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

What I don't get is why they don't include more N64 games to use the Nunchuck/Wiimote combo. I think that would work for Mario Kart, and it would save people money...but then again I don't think that would work too well for some N64 games...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

Its not really remastered! Its called the Ocarina of Time Master Quest and has harder enemies etc. I do not know if the VC version has been tweaked for the component video cable!?!

And get Link To The Past its a classic!

From what I've heard, all N64 games render in 480p on the VC. So yeah, it's definitely an upgrade over the N64 graphics.

By the way, upscaling is different from actually rendering at a higher res.

Ok, wow, a lot of detail. I'll see if I can find the special edition wind waker with OoT. That sounds like a winner. Otherwise I'll just get OoT on VC methinks. I'm not interested in the SNES stuff so VC for me isn't really a draw. I'm not terribly interested in N64 stuff, either, but OoT is supposed to be the greatest game ever and I need to see it for myself. (or more my wife wants to see it for herself, lol).

I hate trolls.

For VC, the absolute best controller to get is the Nintendo WaveBird, it being a wireless GC controller that works on all the VC games + all of the GC games (minus rumble). Unfortunately, you aren't going to find a WaveBird for cheap anymore as Nintendo has discontinued those and all of the remaining stock are being held ransom for a double premium. I'm wary of recommending any 3rd party controllers as I've never had one last longer or work better than the 1st party controllers (for both Sony and Nintendo). It's too bad the classic controller doesn't work on GC games.

Oh, and OOT is awesome. 

Yeah, I have the Master Quest disc (yay for me), and it runs at 480p. The thing I notice is slower framerate, mainly because the original engine was: a)Not supposed to run at higher fps, or b)Not supposed to use more VRAM.