By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will any other game ever beat Wii Sports as the greatest game ever

Wii_R2_Hardcore said:

This should kill the bundled argument once and for all

The 'bundled argument' is absolutely true.  Wii Sports would have been a huge seller without being a bundle, but the only reason its sales are this high is because it is a bundle.

Around the Network
jellyfishprince said:
I think we can all agree that the reason WHY wii sports is doing so well is because it isnt like other games where you shoot people and drive cars. it does things real people actually do in life and that is why it is so successful. now that I think of it, the games that have people doing real things like nintendogs, wii fit, wii play, wii music are all the million sellers. i mean let's be honest now who wants to build robots or drive cars. I think nintendo is using this as an advantage! sonny and microsoft needs to understand that they need to have games like this.

the wii sports will be remembered for generations to come whether people like it or not sorry to say. I hope by the end of this generation all of the videogames the wii makes are like wii sports or very similiar. wii pets, anyone? lol jk

I think some people actually do drive cars "in life". :O

ManusJustus said:
Wii_R2_Hardcore said:

This should kill the bundled argument once and for all

The 'bundled argument' is absolutely true.  Wii Sports would have been a huge seller without being a bundle, but the only reason its sales are this high is because it is a bundle.

But it is a hell of a good game for lots of people who didn't mind to get a Wii bundled for the game the wanted to play and bought: Wii sports.

EDIT: You see, the expanded audience may not see the difference between the console and the disc!

jellyfishprince said:
I think we can all agree that the reason WHY wii sports is doing so well is because it's BUNDLED, BUNDLED, BUNDLED, BUNDLED, BUNDLED! Get that through your thick skulls, it's BUNDLED!

I agree completely.

Username2324 said:
jellyfishprince said:
I think we can all agree that the reason WHY wii sports is doing so well is because it's BUNDLED, BUNDLED, BUNDLED, BUNDLED, BUNDLED! Get that through your thick skulls, it's BUNDLED!

I agree completely.

I never said that stop cheating ~___~;;

prediction: wii to sell 150million console by end of 2010

Around the Network

I think that the main reason the Wii is selling so well is because it has Wii Sports Bundled, not the other way around

So the success of Wii Sports has nothing to do with being played on Oprah, Ellen, Colbert, live at the Academy Awards, and in convalescent homes, rehabilitation clincis, and cruise ships all over the world?

It's just... BUNDLED, BUNDLED, BUNDLED?

It's a global cultural phenomenon that is making people like you look better. We're no longer considered the scum of the earth, hiding in our basements and playing WoW while we piss into a thermos. Now gaming is a socially accepted family activity, and you guys want to shit all over it and keep the basement image?

Remember, Wii Sports is our weapon against Jack Thompson.

it is not the wii that sellls wiisports, it's wiisports that sells the wii. i'm fairly certain one of the main reasons wii sales are slowing down in japan is because wii sports is not bundled there. without that constant word of mouth, the value of the wii to the mainstream is much less than it could be. wiisports might not be the main reson to get a wii, but for many people it is the first reason. when they play it at a friends house during a holiday or something, they instantly become enthralled in it.

it's the first thing that get them interested in the first place. they might need something more before they plop down 250 bucks for it, but if they never played wiisports, they wouldn't even consider it, or try to look for those other reasons.

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=76669&page=1

you can view a few screenshots from the game in my photo album here; http://www.vgchartz.com/photos/album.php?album=2312

yes, this is vonboy's alt account. i can't log into my original account, and i'm not sure if i will ever be able to.

Proud Member of the Official Yoshi Fan Club!.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
So the success of Wii Sports has nothing to do with being played on Oprah, Ellen, Colbert, live at the Academy Awards, and in convalescent homes, rehabilitation clincis, and cruise ships all over the world?

It's a global cultural phenomenon that is making people like you look better. We're no longer considered the scum of the earth, hiding in our basements and playing WoW while we piss into a thermos. Now gaming is a socially accepted family activity, and you guys want to shit all over it and keep the basement image?

If I don't feel insecure of my being a gamer, why would I need validation by proximity to a mainstream phenomenon? If more people are having fun, I'm glad for them. I don't see how this revolutionizes or affects in any way how we judge the quality of the games we play.

Had Wii Sports bombed, would it have been automatically a worse game? Is its success its quality? If the answer is no, why shouldn't I - a gamer - judge it indipendently from its success?

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

WereKitten said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:

If I don't feel insecure of my being a gamer, why would I need validation by proximity to a mainstream phenomenon? If more people are having fun, I'm glad for them. I don't see how this revolutionizes or affects in any way how we judge the quality of the games we play.

Had Wii Sports bombed, would it have been automatically a worse game? Is its success its quality? If the answer is no, why shouldn't I - a gamer - judge it indipendently from its success?

Oh you don't NEED validation.  You're totally right, and should judge the game independently from its success.

I just don't see why so many people are actually offended by the market expansion and hold that against the game.

I keep forgetting about the thread title.  I don't think it's the greatest game ever, and don't think we can really argue that without outlining specific criteria, like best at doing X or best at doing Y.  I think it's one of the best games at expanding the market, and I think the future will consider it one of the most historically important games.

That's really my whole argument.  I'm just sick of all this elitism.  It's as if some of the "hardcore" want the core to shrink forever into nothingness.  More gamers have to come from somewhere, because all the gamers of today aren't immortals.