By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will any other game ever beat Wii Sports as the greatest game ever

Wii Sports is not the greatest game ever.

If you go by quanity, then other bundled games like Solitaire are 'greater' that Wii Sports. If you go by quality, then there are a lot of better games out there.

Around the Network

I believe it can be overtaken as "greatest" if nintendo chooses to launch an entirely new set of handheld consoles and bundles a game with each one. If they do that, they'll probably shatter the wii sports record and possibly double it.

ManusJustus said:

If you go by quanity, then other bundled games like Solitaire are 'greater' that Wii Sports. If you go by quality, then there are a lot of better games out there.

But people buy Wiis to play Wii Sports, and they don't buy PCs to play Solitaire.  If you want to play Solitaire, you buy a deck of cards.  If you want to play Wii Sports, you buy a Wii.

Wii Sports does not sell. It is bundled software. People didn't say "Hey like looks like a cool game, I'm going to drop $60 on it."

They said "Hey I'm going to go buy a Wii" and they got stuck with Wii Sports in the transaction. If it hadn't been bundled it wouldn't have sold very well. It's essentially a training guide on how to use and control your Wii, that's pretty much it.

How many people with 5+ games for their Wii say "You know what, I'm going to play some Wii Sports" on a regular to semi-regular basis, such as COD4 or Halo?

Username2324 said:
Wii Sports does not sell. It is bundled software. People didn't say "Hey like looks like a cool game, I'm going to drop $60 on it."

They said "Hey I'm going to go buy a Wii" and they got stuck with Wii Sports in the transaction. If it hadn't been bundled it wouldn't have sold very well. It's essentially a training guide on how to use and control your Wii, that's pretty much it.

How many people with 5+ games for their Wii say "You know what, I'm going to play some Wii Sports" on a regular to semi-regular basis, such as COD4 or Halo?

You could say that I said "Hey looks like a cool game, I'm going to drop $250 on it at launch."

I have more than 5 Wii games, and hundreds of older games to play through, and I still play Wii Sports with my roommates.  For me, it's a timeless classic.

Around the Network
The Ghost of RubangB said:
ManusJustus said:

But people buy Wiis to play Wii Sports, and they don't buy PCs to play Solitaire.  If you want to play Solitaire, you buy a deck of cards.  If you want to play Wii Sports, you buy a Wii.

Not everyone buys wii for wii sports. If you want to play for example SMG, you will have to buy wii sports too.

1) I love this thread.
Why? HD fanboys can use a slap in the face from time to time. The Industry doesn't turn around them like it did during the last generation. Gamers (especially the so called hardcore) are selfish and conservatives. They want the same games to played alone, with nobody in the way.

2) No game is better because no one has sold as much as Wii Sports? This is the question that most of the posters are answering. And I would say that sometimes best seller games are good, but sometimes they are not that good. I am a gamer too, you know. I love to play new-the-same games all by my self. And for me, and a lot of people who are the core of the market, there are lots of better games than WiiSports. Games we now call hardcore games.

3) I agree: Wii sports is great. In what sense? WiiSports= Elvis. It has sold so many consoles that now videogames are something socially accepted. You know, I hated sometimes when I feel like playing a little Zelda or RE 4 and my wife and son are in the mood for Wii Sports. I end up playing Bowling with them and staying up late to play my games. And we end up having a good time. But thanks to the Wii buying a 360 or a PS3 is not something weird. In the future, everyone in the family may have a different (or a personal) console. It may happen now, thanks to the Wii and WiiSports.

4) Your question: Impossible to answer! Maybe when they come up with a new console consisting in a pair of glasses along with some inmersive and social experience... Something that expanded the market again... Who knows? The trick that Nintendo pulled was a very good one. You still can play traditional oldschool games but at the same time, you can make your granparents play videogames now! It is a great thing for the industry!

5) I think that a two years tantrum was enough. The Wii and WiiSports-like games are here to stay. Just like Elvis and Rock n Roll. You should learn to live with that, accept the change and this new way of gaming because hardcore games are going to be around anyway. But if jelousy is still killing you: find another hobby! The next generation, I predict, the consoles are going to be a mix between HD and the Wii remote. Love it or leave it.

I think we can all agree that the reason WHY wii sports is doing so well is because it isnt like other games where you shoot people and drive cars. it does things real people actually do in life and that is why it is so successful. now that I think of it, the games that have people doing real things like nintendogs, wii fit, wii play, wii music are all the million sellers. i mean let's be honest now who wants to build robots or drive cars. I think nintendo is using this as an advantage! sonny and microsoft needs to understand that they need to have games like this.

the wii sports will be remembered for generations to come whether people like it or not sorry to say. I hope by the end of this generation all of the videogames the wii makes are like wii sports or very similiar. wii pets, anyone? lol jk

prediction: wii to sell 150million console by end of 2010

Esa-Petteri said:
ManusJustus said:

Not everyone buys wii for wii sports. If you want to play for example SMG, you will have to buy wii sports too.

Exactly, I got a Wii for Zelda.

ManusJustus said:

This should kill the bundled argument once and for all