By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft slapped with $388 million patent verd

MikeB said:
vess13 said:
in that case, why weren't they sued when the copied Xerox's Grafical Interface?

Worse yet, I find it amazing MSDOS was legal at all. It was a direct source code rip off of CP/M (MSDOS at the time was called Quick and Dirty OS). Only more limited and handicapped than CP/M was at the time.

Without MSDOS the industry could have looked a lot different than it is today.

However I am not fond of US patent laws (at least regarding the obvious, old and trivial), but copyright is of course a serious issue. US patents are also an issue regarding overseas R&D, what if every tiny little country in the world would introduce this system...

Do you think that Gary Kildal regrets not signing the IBM non-disclosure agreement?

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Around the Network
dbot said:
MikeB said:
vess13 said:

Worse yet, I find it amazing MSDOS was legal at all. It was a direct source code rip off of CP/M (MSDOS at the time was called Quick and Dirty OS). Only more limited and handicapped than CP/M was at the time.

However I am not fond of US patent laws (at least regarding the obvious, old and trivial), but copyright is of course a serious issue. US patents are also an issue regarding overseas R&D, what if every tiny little country in the world would introduce this system...

Do you think that Gary Kildal regrets not signing the IBM non-disclosure agreement?

In hindsight I think IBM management today may well regret this more.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Ehhhhh, the appeal process can take years before MS will/could be responsible for paying out, (a big if). For the amount in question they can take it all the way to the Supreme Court if they choose. I doubt it will even get that far because MS would easily settle for a smaller amount if they find it is a lose, lose scenario. Appeal, after appeal, after appeal.........

The court systems are a very long, and drawn out process here in the States, and for this amount, I don't see an end to this anytime soon.

388$? cheaper than a ps3 : P

if you lose your time posting this,??????????'' pathetic  sony support''... I,B_I_L_I_V_E

''Halo reach''.. sell 7.m first week ,Believe¡¡¡¡¡¡

Around the Network
MikeB said:
vess13 said:

Maybe because IBM paid Microsoft to develop DRDOS for them and as a result they let MS produce their own version (MSDOS) which they opened up to all PC compatible machines.  This blew the hardware market wide open and spawned the modern era of computing where multiple OS's are available for standardised PC hardware specifications (as I'm guessing you're alluding to).  It's a benefit to the PC market pre windows that many Microsoft detractors don't consider.  Once upon a time MS were the little guy who made the PC market cheaper for everyone.

I suspect the appeal will be successful, largely due to the fact the patent sounds "dodgy", for want of a better word.

*EDIT* I realise some of you guys covered this with later comments, sorry.

Daym. This could have bought 7-8 DLC's.