By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumors Mounting Over $399 40GiB PS3

If Sony is so on the ropes and ready to go down for the count

and

MS is ready to slash another $100 off and be in the price range of the Wii

and

people wont go bannana's over a $400 PS3

WHY isnt this already happening and MS going for the death blow vs the PS3????

Well with a $270 core XBox vs $399 PS3, the Playstation will still win out. And if Xbox gets ride of the core like many developers want them too, they will move into PS3's price range and not the Wii's !!!!

Around the Network

Compare the PS3 to the PS2 and PS1 all you want but their situation is dire here. Sony is hemoraging money like there is no tommorrow, when the PS1 launched they had many powerful other divisions to absorb the impact of what in all reality they knew would be a rough start, but the PS3 was something they had not prepaired for being a relative flop. Now with all of their divisions either suffering or doing so-so with numbers of recalls and costly lawsuits to add insult to injury, they're really not that adept at making this work right now.

Fishy Joe put it best, why not just sell it at $199, garantee it being a second PS2 and whipe the floor with everyone else eventually recapping their lost funds down the road. Because, they can't, truth be told they're using the European/Other market as an anchor trying to sell the PS3 at full cost there ($1000) to try and offset the initial horrible loss of selling it at $600-500 in the states and $400 in Japan from driving the entire project bankrupt.

Again, Sony fans are entitled to their optimism, but they can't expect people not with a reason to root for Sony to actually beleive them. Lair was suppossed to be the Ps3's driving force for a while and instead it was another nail in the coffin. If the PlayStation brand name was really that powerful the PS3 would already be winning and not envoking supporters' excuses for it.

Also, why do MS and Nintendo have to make desperate cut throat moves to end the PS3 while its vulnerable when Sony is doing the work for them?

Sign the Resident_Evil_5_Petition for a Wii release or Dark_Samus is going to come get you.

MS should, and probably is (or at least will be) cutting the Core from their line-up. The reason they haven't officially done it yet is because they don't want to appear to be doing the same thing they recently criticized Sony for in terms of replacing SKUs instead of making real price cuts. They will likely phase it out in their next price drop, likely citing the fact taht they can't reduce costs on it as easily (which is true). But that doesn't matter, since they can easily drop the price of the Premium another $100 and put the better unit into the Wiis price range.

And no, Sony's situation isn't dire and they don't have lack of profitable divisions even if they have plenty that are "struggling". The company as a whole is profiting as we speak, despite the massive losses caused by the PS3. The PS3 can never lose them that much money again, because they don't have any need to launch it again.

But hey, why am I arguing with someone who thinks the PS3 costs $1000 in Europe or that the machine costs anywhere near that to make when it cost $840 to build one a year ago? Or someone that doesn't realize that the Playstation brandname is still the most powerful in console gaming and that MS, and MS alone, has to be cutthroat to avoid being pushed out of the market entirely. I mean, if someone can't figure out that the PS3 sells as well as or better than the 360 at $100 more, there's not much else I can say. Except, you know, if MS ever let Sony have the same price as them the war between those two would be as over as it was the day the Xbox launched last generation.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Bonafide732 said:
TheSource said: 

You still have to wonder though, how many games are so good people will spend $400 for a console, when Xbox 360 is cheaper?  360 has Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, Rockband, all the big multi-plat PS3 games with a lower entry barrier. 

Sony I think is willing to sacrifice some cash to maintain marketshare, but I think PS3 is going to have 'PSP syndrome' this holiday season - fairly respectable hardware numbers at the lower price - but not a ton of software sales.

I also believe this is true... except i think Spiderman 3 the movie will be bundled with the 40 GB and not the 80gb so sony can say thats the 100 dollar difference between the two...

But Source i think you are underestimating the casual gamers here...360 sku's are what 449, 349, and 279(even though i rarely see a core) PS3 has Ratchet and Clank (i know its not a halo but its a proven aaa franchise)  plus call of duty 4 plus Rockband GHero III all the big multiplatform games... it doesnt have a lower entry than the 360 but when you look at 399 vs 350 that sounds really enticing for people who wanna play games like ratchet and Singstar those are both games on the casual side... on the hardcore side you have games like UTIII and Haze .. so it might just be able to put up respectable numbers this holiday season compared with the 360...

But this is sony we're talking about here they might introduce a 20GB at 700 dollars for all we know...

350 vs 399? microsoft would never ever let it happen, and if it did, lets just say they need to change their executives.

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
FishyJoe said:

All I can say, if you're that confident in Sony, then by all means invest in it and prove us all wrong.

I know where I have my bets placed, and it's already made me enough to buy a decent car. Pretty much the easiest money I've ever made.

I see a lot of fanboys defending Sony. I don't see a lot of fanboys investing in Sony. If you check out my NTDOY thread, there are many people investing in Nintendo. Sony not so much.

Pffff.

I love sony for their games and quality electronics not stock options, if they make 1 or 100 billion means next to nothing to me.

Are even a gamer ?

Around the Network
dgm6780 said:
If Sony is so on the ropes and ready to go down for the count

and

MS is ready to slash another $100 off and be in the price range of the Wii

and

people wont go bannana's over a $400 PS3

WHY isnt this already happening and MS going for the death blow vs the PS3????

Well with a $270 core XBox vs $399 PS3, the Playstation will still win out. And if Xbox gets ride of the core like many developers want them too, they will move into PS3's price range and not the Wii's !!!!

Because i believe the 360 is just starting to make profit least i think, and they need money to combat the rrod woes, so that should help

But your right, if microsoft wanted, they could lower price to that and really hurt ps3, but for now they just need to try to reduce the ammount of lose in the gaming division

Overall microsoft still made a huge ammount of money

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Gelmer said:
Compare the PS3 to the PS2 and PS1 all you want but their situation is dire here. Sony is hemoraging money like there is no tommorrow, when the PS1 launched they had many powerful other divisions to absorb the impact of what in all reality they knew would be a rough start, but the PS3 was something they had not prepaired for being a relative flop. Now with all of their divisions either suffering or doing so-so with numbers of recalls and costly lawsuits to add insult to injury, they're really not that adept at making this work right now.

Fishy Joe put it best, why not just sell it at $199, garantee it being a second PS2 and whipe the floor with everyone else eventually recapping their lost funds down the road. Because, they can't, truth be told they're using the European/Other market as an anchor trying to sell the PS3 at full cost there ($1000) to try and offset the initial horrible loss of selling it at $600-500 in the states and $400 in Japan from driving the entire project bankrupt.

Again, Sony fans are entitled to their optimism, but they can't expect people not with a reason to root for Sony to actually beleive them. Lair was suppossed to be the Ps3's driving force for a while and instead it was another nail in the coffin. If the PlayStation brand name was really that powerful the PS3 would already be winning and not envoking supporters' excuses for it.

Also, why do MS and Nintendo have to make desperate cut throat moves to end the PS3 while its vulnerable when Sony is doing the work for them?

LMFAO, gballzack ?

Their Electronincs and Movies divisons are doing great.  Sony right now is absorbing SCE losses, so WTF are you talking about.

PS3 a flop, LOL really good one troll but thats only you opinion and its really its worth nothing at all with all the bs as fact that you post.

Sony is selling the PS3 at $1000 in Europe using it as aanchor ? Uk amazon has it for £399.99 = $806 and 20% of that is vat.  Estimates pegged the PS3 production ccost at +$800 so Sony sure as hell were not selling the PS3 at full cost there.

Fishyjoe comment is a joke, tell me why arent MS selling the 360 at $200 or even $100 we all know they can afford to but no semi intelligent corp would sell a product at such a loss.  They will only sell at a loss that they are confident they can make up.  The whole #1 at any cost is retarded, just look at how it ruined GM. 

Lair was a potential aaa game, you sony haters can post your BS comments that Lair or whatever failed to drive sales but reality is and you all know it that the big sales driveing games are all coming out in 08.

Now before it was ohh MGS or GT will come to late PS3 is doomed is dead, well it didnt die so your tunes changed from "its to late" to "ohh it does not matter that game is not that big" Quite the hypoctites. 

Some really high qulaity BS  "Gelmer"

Gelmer and Dodeca-something ...what a bunch of boring fanboys !Worst it that they actually believe what they say .They bring out some quality BS ,maybe they can trick some people that dont know too much about economics or the industry .

Poor people .

Now on topic .I have been saying it for some time .Sony will offer a 399 PS3 this holidays .Either this 40Gb machine or a 60Gb/80Gb machine just for the holidays and returning to 499 after 15 january .Either way it will sell like hotcakes .Even if MS and Nintendo do great they wont do much better in NA .And in Europe and Japan Sony will push some serious numbers ,near the Wii and light years ahead of the X360 .After Sony comments the PS3 was outselling the 360 by 3 to 1 before the Elite/price cut .Once the PS3 drops its price and Pro Evolution comes it will make stunning numbers .And we know what happens in Japan .

The losses compared to the PS2 launch were greater ,thats true .Not the last reason because it launched in NA and Japan at the same time and 4 months later in Europe instead of Japan and 9 months later NA and then later Europe .

As for the price wars ....well the PS3 has sure more margin to drop the price .Theres a point were lowering the price doesnt add much more sales .PS3 is still very far from that point ,X360 is far from that point but not so much ...Wii is close but it could benefit still from 1-2 price drops to 125-150 or so .What I know is that people generally prefer the PS3 even being pricer to the 360 .At the same price the PS3 would do way better ,even being 50 more or 75 more it would still do better .If Sony goes down to 399 then MS with its Premium must go to 299 to keep its chances .

URNotE said:
the ps3 would own the 360 this holiday if this rumor were true...

LOL, that's pretty funny :)

Last I looked it was GAMES that sold console - not bundled movies that are 6 months old. I can't imagine a lot of people buying a PS3 to WATCH Spiderman.

But a lot of people WILL buy a 360 to play Halo, Mass Effect & Bioshock.

There is ZERO chance of the PS3 owning the 360 this holiday season - zero. 

PS3 > 360 in Japan

360 > PS3 Europe

360 >> PS3 US

If Sony drop the price too much, MS will just follow. They only dropped the price by $50 - can you imagine what another $50 price cut to all 360 models on Thanksgiving would do? Or a bundle with Halo 3?

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Diomedes1976 said:

Now on topic .I have been saying it for some time .Sony will offer a 399 PS3 this holidays .Either this 40Gb machine or a 60Gb/80Gb machine just for the holidays and returning to 499 after 15 january .Either way it will sell like hotcakes .Even if MS and Nintendo do great they wont do much better in NA .And in Europe and Japan Sony will push some serious numbers ,near the Wii and light years ahead of the X360 .After Sony comments the PS3 was outselling the 360 by 3 to 1 before the Elite/price cut .Once the PS3 drops its price and Pro Evolution comes it will make stunning numbers .And we know what happens in Japan .

I'll remember this quote.

Mark my words - MS will beat PS3 in Europe, and thrash them in the US.

"Stunning numbers"??? LOL... :)

The PS3 STILL costs $1000AU in Australia!! Its beyond ridiculous. We can now pick up a 360 pack for around HALF the price.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099