By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumors Mounting Over $399 40GiB PS3

shams said:
URNotE said:
the ps3 would own the 360 this holiday if this rumor were true...

LOL, that's pretty funny :)

Last I looked it was GAMES that sold console - not bundled movies that are 6 months old. I can't imagine a lot of people buying a PS3 to WATCH Spiderman.

But a lot of people WILL buy a 360 to play Halo, Mass Effect & Bioshock.

There is ZERO chance of the PS3 owning the 360 this holiday season - zero.

PS3 > 360 in Japan

360 > PS3 Europe

360 >> PS3 US

If Sony drop the price too much, MS will just follow. They only dropped the price by $50 - can you imagine what another $50 price cut to all 360 models on Thanksgiving would do? Or a bundle with Halo 3?

BAhhahahahahahahahahha.

YAhh none would, PS3 being the best value and cheepest Br player and Spidey on Br would not sale at all.

If sony cut price MS wont do anything, they still are way cheeper and they really would like to get out of the red for the first time in xbox brands life.

Halo and Bioshock are shooters and Gears was a good enough reason for those fans to buy a 360 already. Mass Effect is a unproven new a ip.

ioi really how the hell do you justify shams being a mod ???

Around the Network
Hus said:
shams said:
URNotE said:
the ps3 would own the 360 this holiday if this rumor were true...

LOL, that's pretty funny :)

Last I looked it was GAMES that sold console - not bundled movies that are 6 months old. I can't imagine a lot of people buying a PS3 to WATCH Spiderman.

But a lot of people WILL buy a 360 to play Halo, Mass Effect & Bioshock.

There is ZERO chance of the PS3 owning the 360 this holiday season - zero.

PS3 > 360 in Japan

360 > PS3 Europe

360 >> PS3 US

If Sony drop the price too much, MS will just follow. They only dropped the price by $50 - can you imagine what another $50 price cut to all 360 models on Thanksgiving would do? Or a bundle with Halo 3?

BAhhahahahahahahahahha.

YAhh none would, PS3 being the best value and cheepest Br player and Spidey on Br would not sale at all.

If sony cut price MS wont do anything, they still are way cheeper and they really would like to get out of the red for the first time in xbox brands life.

Halo and Bioshock are shooters and Gears was a good enough reason for those fans to buy a 360 already. Mass Effect is a unproven new a ip.

ioi really how the hell do you justify shams being a mod ???

Sorry hus, if sony does nothing to lower price, and MS doesnt follow, then sham is right its alot more likely 360 will beat out ps3.

Also the BR player is just plain crap, specially if HD dvd players are going as cheap as they say, no one would buy a 500 dollar system to just watch BR, thats insane

Mass effect is made by a very well loved company, and the hype has been enourmous. Alot of other great games are coming out as well such as lost odyssey and such

But shams ps3 does have some pretty good games coming out, least as long as they dont bomb like lair

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

Also I can't imagine MS feels like taking even more losses after having to spend over a billion dollars fixing every third 360. I mean, if that happened to Sony, and they had to dish out a billion bucks for repairs, nobody would be predicting any price cuts for the PS3 until like 2009.

Apostrovich said:
Also I can't imagine MS feels like taking even more losses after having to spend over a billion dollars fixing every third 360. I mean, if that happened to Sony, and they had to dish out a billion bucks for repairs, nobody would be predicting any price cuts for the PS3 until like 2009.

true but the ps3 loses for each sale have been almost as huge, and a price cut would only drive it deeper

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

The way I see it, its pretty simple:

Sony is worried. Real worried. The PS3 has failed to really take off - even with the price cut. Their "10-year" strategy at the moment, is in tatters due to forced price cuts early in the cycle.

To make matters worse, their "planned domination" of the next-gen DVD market is looking worrying. Not only has HD-DVD managed to put up a fight - in some circles (and general news) it is "winning".

For BluRay to "lose" (outright) would be terrible for Sony - and the PS3.

For the PS3 to "lose" (come 3rd) would be terrible for Sony - and BluRay.

For both of them to "lose" - might almost be enough to sink Sony completely.

They know this, and they cannot - any UNDER circumstance - allow this to happen (at least without a real fight).

So what do they do?

i) Sell off part of their company (non-core) to raise capital

ii) Use this to fund a price cut on the PS3

iii) Use this to fund a promotion/further push for BluRay to regain some territory

This means the bottom-line for Sony won't look that bad - purely because of the cash investment from the sold division. Of course selling a profitable division can have longer-term impact on the company as a whole - but if there is no Sony, it wouldn't matter anyway... so its worth it for now.

Sony STILL lack the titles this year to really drive sales. MS has a cheaper console, more compelling content, more marketing budget (thanks Halo!) - and a much bigger warchest in general. If MS want to further drop the price - they will. They are pretty happy where they are now though, as they will actually be MAKING a lot of money from the 360 this qrt.

If Sony want to get all price competitive on them, MS will analyse the market and decide what to do. If they are pushing the numbers they want - they may not care, and will walk away with more profits.

But if they want to get nasty to Sony - they can easily drop the 360 price further - put together a Halo/Mass Effect bundle - and probably sell ALL stock they can send to retail.

My predicted sales figures for the end of the year took all this Xmas promotion/price war into account, and I think the numbers will still end up like (1st Jan '08):

PS3: 7.5-8.0m (sell 3-3.5m)

360: 14.0-15.0m (sell 3.5-4.5m)

Wii: 17m-18m (sell all the stock they can send out, about 6-7m)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network
shams said:

Not only has HD-DVD managed to put up a fight - in some circles (and general news) it is "winning".

LOL

pure bs anti sony opinion as fact, and thats a mods post.

google it and no general media is saying hddvd is winning.

Lost tears of Kain said:

But shams ps3 does have some pretty good games coming out, least as long as they dont bomb like lair

For the "average" person out there, there is NO comparison.

Basically the only thing Sony has is GT Prologue. And I still think this IP is diluted - thanks to free GT4 HD, and the fact that it IS a Prologue title. Downloadable will also hurt "tracked" sales.

Lets wait till the charts this week.  Bioshock is doing great guns, is a possible GOTY - and will have pushed almost 700k - 360/US alone.

LAIR will vanish, Warhawk will struggle to have legs (being a "hardcore, online-only" title).

Madden on the 360 has done 1.2m. Madden on the PS3 has done 340k. Thats a 4:1 ratio.

Halo 3 is coming real soon now - the biggest 360 brand, and one of the biggest gaming brands in the world.

360 software outsold PS3 2.5:1 - and this was one of the best/biggest weeks for the PS3.

The best hope Sony has IMO - is for Uncharted to get awesome scores (9.7s) and for it to be considered a GREAT title. I think it will get 8.5-9.0 scores - but thats just a hunch, not like I have played it or anything.

BTW - I trust everyone say todays BluRay/HD-DVD news???

http://www.gametab.com/news/1032606/

- new HD-DVD format announced (compatible with all players) - 51GB of data
 - new report saying that BluRay manufacturing is expensive compared to DVD/HD-DVD
 - report saying that studios that are "BluRay only" have been secretly selling titles on HD-DVD

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

First Quarter Sales

The sales figures continue to favor Blu-ray as, according to Home Media Magazine, first quarter sales broke down with a 70/30 split in favor of BD.

Between Jan. 1 and March 31, consumers bought nearly 1.2 million high-definition discs, 832,530 Blu-ray units and 359,300 HD DVDs, according to Home Media Magazine market research. Since inception (HD DVD launched in mid-April 2006, while Blu-ray got rolling two months later, in late June), more than 2.14 million high-definition discs have been purchased by consumers—1.2 million Blu-ray Discs and about 937,500 HD DVDs.

Also

http://www.forbes.com/markets/2007/06/18/bluray-blockbuster-update-markets-equity-cx_er_0618markets31.html

The reason blockbuster dropped HD DVD is because blu-ray outsold it by 70 percent. 

Try and convince yourselves the few who took sides make a difference this early in the game but everyone sees the writing on the walls, neither is comming out as the clear victor and neither is selling terribly well in the big picture. It's down to supporting both as a niche market, that's all.

I really pity the early adopters of these two formats.

Sign the Resident_Evil_5_Petition for a Wii release or Dark_Samus is going to come get you.

Gelmer said:
Try and convince yourselves the few who took sides make a difference this early in the game but everyone sees the writing on the walls, neither is comming out as the clear victor and neither is selling terribly well in the big picture. It's down to supporting both as a niche market, that's all.

I really pity the early adopters of these two formats.

Just like how DVD didn't sell better than VHS when it first came out, right?  Just like how electronic stores only carried one or two models of HDTV's, right?  Just like how DVD storage took quite awhile to uproot CD storage, right?  

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson