By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Cubed3: Manhunt 2 will be released uncensored in The Netherlands

I apoligise if someone has already posted this before, or if it turns out to be false information, but here´s the post they made on Cubed3:

Despite Manhunt 2 being revised for its 31st October release in the US and currently banned in the UK by the BBFC, it seems the game will slip through the net into Europe via The Netherlands, since the country's Ministry is powerless to ban the controversial Wii/PSP/PS2 game from Rockstar and publisher Take Two.

Apparently it seems that the Dutch Ministry is refusing to step in and prevent the game from hitting The Netherlands as it would prove to be a matter of conflict with current law in that country. Whilst people can still be prosecuted if the game is distributed to those under the age of 16, no cases such as this have ever been tried in the Netherlands.

"The current law is based on the principle that every adult is considered capable of deciding for himself which games he wants to play, unless it contains illegal material. [ The decision is ] the joint responsibility of parents, the audiovisual industry and the government."
- Justice Minister Ernst Hirsch Ballin, in a letter to Parliament.

He also added that new laws and policies need to be examined in order "to better protect the youth", and he has pleaded for unified video game ratings across Europe as a whole to avoid matters like this occurring again.

Stay tuned for further updates...

link:

http://www.cubed3.com/news/8485/1/Manhunt_2_Uncut_for_The_Netherlands

Around the Network

yea i posted this =)

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

This article is correct and it has been decided in The Netherlands that Manhunt CAN be distributed in uncensored form in the Netherlands. The question is now if Rockstar WILL do so. On one hand, it will allow for people to see the game in its original glory. But then there could be a backlash, as media will be comparing the original material to the censored material, to see exactly what was changed and whether or not the ESRB's decision to lower the censored version's rating was justified. Maybe Rockstar will wait with distributing the game in the Netherlands until when sales are starting to die down elsewhere, and then create extra buzz for the game by releasing the uncensored version in the NL.

haha awesome :D want it so badly

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I think it's rather normal it is released uncensored over here.

The only thing that you notice in history is that they ban a movie and after 10-20 years they unban it because they realise it was well yeah kinda stupid (and just nice marketing, most of those movies deserved to be banned because of the poor quality).

Thats the only reason why i would support the censorship: Take Two just wants to sell by 'hardcore' violence, so i can already guess what the game will play like...

Around the Network

I doubt they'd do a second production run with the uncut version just for one small European country. Given the PAL localization efforts, it makes more sense to use the same source material.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

the netherlands isn't that small...

more important, if they use different material the buzz created would be way more than the cost.

if they think the buzz would be overall beneficial to sales, they'll do it.

the Wii is an epidemic.

The big question here is if Nintendo or Sony will allow the distribution of the uncut version of the game anywhere. They both said they won't allow Adults Only games on their consoles, but surely they won't ban Manhunt 2 in the entire world due to the rating of the American authorities? Not entirely fair to us more liberal folk on this side of the Atlantic.

Viper1 said:
I doubt they'd do a second production run with the uncut version just for one small European country. Given the PAL localization efforts, it makes more sense to use the same source material.

here in Holland 99% of the games are the English versions of the game, so people in PAL regions can import it from Holland to get the original version (which a lot of people will do).

The big question here is if Nintendo or Sony will allow the distribution of the uncut version of the game anywhere. They both said they won't allow Adults Only games on their consoles, but surely they won't ban Manhunt 2 in the entire world due to the rating of the American authorities? Not entirely fair to us more liberal folk on this side of the Atlantic.

AO ratings are given by the ESRB which is US only and won't apply to European distribution.

here in Holland 99% of the games are the English versions of the game, so people in PAL regions can import it from Holland to get the original version (which a lot of people will do).

It still requires a second production run. Holland has a population of just 6.1 million and that's a relative gaming audience of 20,000 Wii owners (I arrived at this number by comparing populations and Wii install base for several other European countries). A sales rate consistent with other countries means approx 1,500-2,000 units will be sold in Holland. Those figures would mean that it would cost far more to produce just those 2k units since production in smaller quantities cost much more (My company has ran into this same economic issue a few times before and it sucks).

The rEVOLution is not being televised