By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nielsen: People May Buy Wii's, (But They Don't Use Them)

What is the sample size, demographic, etc?

Around the Network

6 year olds make 75 thousand dollars a year CONFIRMED

"After you win, son, I feel like going for a ride on your bike, haha." ~Doc Louis (Punch Out Wii)

Research and analysis reports like this always remind me of one of the key points in Blue Ocean Strategy: never outsource your eyes. Even knowing the methodology of one of these firms, the fact remains that no research firm is going to be able to effectively observe your current or future market potential as accurately as somebody from your own firm can, simply because these research and analysis firms have no personal interest in your company's future. Nor do they have the appropriate perspective of your own firm's full set of goals and ambitions.

In short, I take these reports with a grain of salt. They're methodically designed to be as widespread in potential utility as possible, meaning they're practically useless for any sort of in-depth analysis as a result.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

just to let you know, a session is if you leave the room in which the console is located. Like a Bathroom break.

Secondly judging from these income figures, nielson needs to recruit some more viewers.

Maybe off topic, but according to this data:

For ages 25-54 playing WoW, there are 675k male players, and 430k female players.

Am I the only one really surprised by this? Maybe it's old news, but it really sticks out to me - I mean, nearly a 2:3 female/male ratio is pretty insane. I really have a hard time believing that many girls are playing the game...

Around the Network

Ok most of you are all wrong here.

The first graph column is a percentage compared to total tv usage.
For example If PS3 is played for one hour, (min %8) then the tv is being used another 10-12 hours in that day.
On the other hand If wii is played one hour, the tv is only used another 5-6 hours. (@15%)

the real numbers we are looking at here is the usage minutes, sessions, and days. Multiply them together and you get the minutes used per console.

The wii is the lowest in all three categories, meaning that it is played the least.

Am I to understand these numbers are just for the primary player of the console? I can't decipher it, and I'm not going to read the whole report.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

@erik
the average user% also indicates how many people actually use the product.

For ps3, 10% of all people interacting with the tv play ps3.
For wii, only 6.8% of the people that come in contact, play it.
These numbers are his way because of guests that one might have over. And wii's small numbers are probably due to there being a lot of people in the house more often than not.
for example:
if you play wii, and have a 100man super bowl party, your stats would show 1% user% in the second column

i don't think the 17 million (and counting) that got Wii Fit are 6-11, for god's sake

we heard the no-one plays Wii story a lot of times, but sales and software show the opposite

how can a console that is not used be the fastest selling in history, how is Mario Kart, Wii Fit, Smash, Mario Galaxy, Wii Play and so on reach higher sales than almost every Ps3/Xbox360 game?

it means these games get popular by the word of mouth, which is why Wii games have more legs than HD games let's say

it's normal that not 100% of Wii owners will not play Wii, but since Wii hardware and software are so high that there's nothing if not played as much

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

@dark
that column represents the primary user age.

You all also need to keep in mind that some of these nielson homes own multiple systems.