By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Fox News Reviewer immediately fired for early review

Also, I would like to get to your unethical point. If a magazine obviously does not like your product, why the hell would you place your advertisements on there. That would be like placing a PETA ad in a catalog for fur coats. If game magazines did not want to be pressured by game companies, maybe they should find a different revenue stream to support their efforts.

And someone cannot just break a contract.  It is a contract for a reason.  There had to be some reason why the contract was able to be gotten out of.  Perhaps they should be taking a closer look at the contracts before they agree to them.

Around the Network

Well, it's his own fault.. But he game the film a good review didn't he? Why would they be mad?

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Strategyking92 said:
Well, it's his own fault.. But he game the film a good review didn't he? Why would they be mad?

Because it was a downloaded copy and supposedly the movie was not finished yet.  The fact that he mentions it being downloaded and saying that it was easier than going out in the rain was probably the biggest reason.

JaggedSac said:
Bodhesatva said:
JaggedSac said:

Oh, and early reviews are quite big in the film industry as well. Perhaps you should go to the right sites. Check out aintitcool.com. They are already having some early impressions/reviews of Star Trek. They usually get reviews long before the critics get them out the door. Perhaps it is because you are not as in tune with the movie industry as you are with the gaming industry.

Also, for anyone interested, the overall impressions of Star Trek have been very, very positive.

No, it's not. I know who Harry Knowles is.

This is like comparing People and Us Weekly to Pauline Kael or David Denby. Do you see those people in Metacritic? No. Aintitcoolnews, UsWeekly and People are considered fluff.

Here's the problem: the fluff peddlers and the respected critics are the same people in the gaming industry. It's seriously as if E! News was considered a legitimate voice of criticism in the movie industry. I do not consider that an exaggeration.

There are no early reviews of films, unless you mean "a few days before it comes out because of the Film Critic's screening." There is no race to get your review up weeks ahead of time: there are no "exclusive" reviews.

Not sure what your point in this whole thread is.  You say that people do not praise early reviews of movies and I clearly showed you a place where people go to in droves to get the latest info and impressions of the upcoming movies.  There are tons of early reviews on that site.

Your problem, is that you think some people have more important opinions than others.  I find several of the reviewers on AintItCool to be fantastic and most "serious" movie critics to be absolute poshes.

You're welcome to enjoy whatever you want. If you like aintitcoolnews, no problem. That doesn't mean that their opinion needs to be respected.

How could you possibly argue that everyone's opinion is equal? Obviously an expert's opinion is worth more than the opinion of a layman. Similarly, you can love Us Weekly or whatever you enjoy, but it is generally agreed by reasonable people that "People" and other fluff magazines are not legitimate sources of news and are their opinions are not respected as such.

How do you prove this? You can't obviously. How do you prove that Shakespeare is more sophisticated than Guns N Roses or Motley Crue? Again, you can't. There is no official or absolute metric to measure this by, but reasonable people reasonably agree that this is true.

If you enjoyed a movie like "300" that's absolutely fine, but the majority of respected of film criticism does not agree with you, and the same is true of aintitcoolnews.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

JaggedSac said:

Oh, and early reviews are quite big in the film industry as well. Perhaps you should go to the right sites. Check out aintitcool.com. They are already having some early impressions/reviews of Star Trek. They usually get reviews long before the critics get them out the door. Perhaps it is because you are not as in tune with the movie industry as you are with the gaming industry.

Also, for anyone interested, the overall impressions of Star Trek have been very, very positive.

Imo theres something missing from that movie...

Tease.

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:

Because it's part of journalistic ethical codes? That's why. That's the end of the discussion. Because it's considered wrong.

Why is it not okay for a company to rescind on contracts already agreed upon? Obviously, it's in their favor to rescind on a contractual obligation if it includes, oh, losing hundreds of millions of dollars. That makes absolutely no sense, why would they do that!

Because they agreed to do it in a contract, and breaking that contract is unethical.

It's like you don't even see that journalistic ethics exist.

This is pretty tangential, so feel free to ignore this post, but...there is an entire school of thought, both in business and law, which recognizes and encourages what are called "efficient breach of contract," i.e. breaches in which the breachor can allay much of the harm caused by the breach while still benefitting society as a whole. So ethical barriers are breaking down even there.

....yeah, I'll shut up now.

JaggedSac said:
Strategyking92 said:

Because it was a downloaded copy and supposedly the movie was not finished yet.  The fact that he mentions it being downloaded and saying that it was easier than going out in the rain was probably the biggest reason.

Yeah, but it's still kind of stupid on fox's behalf. I mean, if that version is incomplete, their ads could say "the incomplete version was perfect.... Now watch the version that will make you shit awesome"

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

I read this article...he was a moron...Fox is getting the freaking FBI to investigate and track down the issue, and he is reviewing the stolen copy...like...WTF did you get a copy to watch...definitely a moron, and I can't believe I'm defending Fox.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Bod, you're not going to get any where with Jagged. It's like he simply can't comprehend the idea of ethics. He keeps talking from a business perspective, when clearly that's not the issue. It's people with views like his in control of some of these companies that are causing all of this.

tarheel91 said:
Bod, you're not going to get any where with Jagged. It's like he simply can't comprehend the idea of ethics. He keeps talking from a business perspective, when clearly that's not the issue. It's people with views like his in control of some of these companies that are causing all of this.

Well, perhaps you cannot see the issue from the view point of a publisher.  Answer me this.  Why on earth would a publisher spend the money to send an early review of a game to someone when they know that it will recieve bad scores?  Spend money to lose money?  Not how that saying goes.  It makes absolutely no sense.  Perhaps magazine business models should not rely on early copies, or business models based solely on advertising dollars from the very products they are reviewing.

The publishers cannot say, "you cannot print a review of my game".  They are saying, "we will not give you a copy of our game before the release date".  If the journalists did not want to sacrifice their integrity, they would wait until the game was released to the public and write their untainted views there.

I will probably not post again in this thread because my view points are completely different than anyone else, and I will not get anywhere.  It is easy for people to have view points on matters where they have no stake what so ever.