By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Fox News Reviewer immediately fired for early review

JaggedSac said:

Oh, and early reviews are quite big in the film industry as well. Perhaps you should go to the right sites. Check out aintitcool.com. They are already having some early impressions/reviews of Star Trek. They usually get reviews long before the critics get them out the door. Perhaps it is because you are not as in tune with the movie industry as you are with the gaming industry.

Also, for anyone interested, the overall impressions of Star Trek have been very, very positive.

No, it's not. I know who Harry Knowles is.

This is like comparing People and Us Weekly to Pauline Kael or David Denby. Do you see those people in Metacritic? No. Aintitcoolnews, UsWeekly and People are considered fluff.

Here's the problem: the fluff peddlers and the respected critics are the same people in the gaming industry. It's seriously as if E! News was considered a legitimate voice of criticism in the movie industry. I do not consider that an exaggeration.

There are no early reviews of films, unless you mean "a few days before it comes out because of the Film Critic's screening." There is no race to get your review up weeks ahead of time: there are no "exclusive" reviews.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network
JaggedSac said:
About MGS4, like I said, the limitations were not on the score that was placed on the game. It was merely in regards to what could be said before the game was released.

Also, that link does not say anything important. Merely that some game companies knew their games would get reviewed poorly and decided not to send EGM the games.

Also, I have yet to see a 3 week after release date embargo or a score cap.

It's called running a monthly videogame magazine.

By putting in these restrictions they are given the choice of either reviewing a a week early and padding it or reviewing a game 3 weeks late.

psrock said:
He was reviewing a stolen copy of the movie.

/thread

JaggedSac said:
About MGS4, like I said, the limitations were not on the score that was placed on the game. It was merely in regards to what could be said before the game was released.

Also, that link does not say anything important. Merely that some game companies knew their games would get reviewed poorly and decided not to send EGM the games.

Ah ha ha, what a terrible argument. Yes, because clearly those specific examples were Kasz' original point. Those examples were chosen randomly: it's like saying "the Mexican police will let you smuggle dope across the border for 5 dollars." Obviously that literal example may not be substantiated, but the clear intent of the statement is "The Mexican police are corrupt," which absolutely no one would argue with. Don't be obtuse.

The argument that "Konami didn't set scores. They just limited what you could write and when you could write it and if it was negative you couldn't release your review before the game came out" is silly. The point is obviously that Konami is behaving unethically. They refused to let critics release reviews before a specified date (June 12, 2008) if they criticized certain aspects of the game in their review. The specifics really aren't relavant when the overarching point is that journalistic ethics were violated, which they were.

And if I'm reading your second paragraph correctly, it's clear we aren't going to reach a consensus here. You think it's "not important" that game publishers are refusing to work with or send review copies to critics which give them poor reviews.

Let's phrase that another way: game publishers are putting financial pressure on game critics to give them good reviews. That is not a twisted or unfair way to state that -- that is exactly what they're doing. Not even obliquely, mind you, but directly: they are pulling advertising dollars and forcing the critics to buy their own copies of the games in question. If you do not consider that unethical, then this discussion is over.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:

What do you people think game sites do? How often do we see people go nuts about leaks from their favorite developers? What do you think those "rumor" pages in EGM and similar magazines are?

And yet, our respons isn't, "maybe we shouldn't be discussing unauthorized information," but "omg omg hype hype hype!"

FAil!

Find me one reviewer for the big gaming sites/magazines who say "I'm reviewing a pirated copy"

Friedman is either an idiot or completly out of touch with the movie industry if he thought mentioning in is column that reviewing a PIRATED version was ok.

hmmm and whenever I read an early review it usually starts like this "Today, we we're invited by (insert developer) in their hometown to try out the latest blah blah blah"

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network

I don't ever remember me personally endorsing early reviews.

If a review comes a month earlier than everyone else, it just seems illegitimate.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Bodhesatva said:
JaggedSac said:

Ah ha ha, what a terrible argument. Yes, because clearly those specific examples were Kasz' original point. Those examples were chosen randomly: it's like saying "the Mexican police will let you smuggle dope across the border for 5 dollars." Obviously that literal example may not be substantiated, but the clear intent of the statement is "The Mexican police are corrupt," which absolutely no one would argue with. Don't be obtuse.

The argument that "Konami didn't set scores. They just limited what you could write and when you could write it and if it was negative you couldn't release your review before the game came out" is silly. The point is obviously that Konami is behaving unethically.

And as to your second paragraph, it's pretty clear we're not going to reach a consensus here. If you think it's "not important" that game companies refuse to send copies of their games to Reviewers unless they gave favorable reviews, then it's pretty clear you think nothing reviews can do is unacceptable. That is absolutely, 100% unethical in virtually every other arena of journalism. If you're just going to argue "so what?" every time a clear violation of journalistic trust is cited, then obviously this argument can't be resolved.

Well, it is not a right for magazine companies to get early copies of games.  It is by the good graces of game companies to send them early copies.  If the magazine actually cared about reviewing the game, they would purchase the game upon release and put the review in the magazine.  Why would game companies waste money on sending them a game that they know will probably lose them money in the long run.  That makes absolutely no sense.

gebx said:
Bodhesatva said:

What do you people think game sites do? How often do we see people go nuts about leaks from their favorite developers? What do you think those "rumor" pages in EGM and similar magazines are?

And yet, our respons isn't, "maybe we shouldn't be discussing unauthorized information," but "omg omg hype hype hype!"

FAil!

Find me one reviewer for the big gaming sites/magazines who say "I'm reviewing a pirated copy"

Friedman is either an idiot or completly out of touch with the movie industry if he thought mentioning in is column that reviewing a PIRATED version was ok.

hmmm and whenever I read an early review it usually starts like this "Today, we we're invited by (insert developer) in their hometown to try out the latest blah blah blah"

It's pretty clear you didn't read the rest of the thread, Gebx. I was discussing the consumer response, not the producer's.

Bodhesatva said:
JaggedSac said:

Oh, and early reviews are quite big in the film industry as well. Perhaps you should go to the right sites. Check out aintitcool.com. They are already having some early impressions/reviews of Star Trek. They usually get reviews long before the critics get them out the door. Perhaps it is because you are not as in tune with the movie industry as you are with the gaming industry.

Also, for anyone interested, the overall impressions of Star Trek have been very, very positive.

No, it's not. I know who Harry Knowles is.

This is like comparing People and Us Weekly to Pauline Kael or David Denby. Do you see those people in Metacritic? No. Aintitcoolnews, UsWeekly and People are considered fluff.

Here's the problem: the fluff peddlers and the respected critics are the same people in the gaming industry. It's seriously as if E! News was considered a legitimate voice of criticism in the movie industry. I do not consider that an exaggeration.

There are no early reviews of films, unless you mean "a few days before it comes out because of the Film Critic's screening." There is no race to get your review up weeks ahead of time: there are no "exclusive" reviews.

Not sure what your point in this whole thread is.  You say that people do not praise early reviews of movies and I clearly showed you a place where people go to in droves to get the latest info and impressions of the upcoming movies.  There are tons of early reviews on that site.

Your problem, is that you think some people have more important opinions than others.  I find several of the reviewers on AintItCool to be fantastic and most "serious" movie critics to be absolute poshes.

JaggedSac said:

Well, it is not a right for magazine companies to get early copies of games.  It is by the good graces of game companies to send them early copies.  If the magazine actually cared about reviewing the game, they would purchase the game upon release and put the review in the magazine.  Why would game companies waste money on sending them a game that they know will probably lose them money in the long run.  That makes absolutely no sense.

Because it's part of journalistic ethical codes? That's why. That's the end of the discussion. Because it's considered wrong.

Why is it not okay for a company to rescind on contracts already agreed upon? Obviously, it's in their favor to rescind on a contractual obligation if it includes, oh, losing hundreds of millions of dollars. That makes absolutely no sense, why would they do that!

Because they agreed to do it in a contract, and breaking that contract is unethical.

It's like you don't even see that journalistic ethics exist.