By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should I buy a Xbox 360 or a PS3 ?

I also have all three systems, and only really use my PS3 for blu ray movies. I did buy Resistance 2 when my XBOX RRODed, and it was a decent enough Halo wannabe, and I enjoyed Heavenly Sword, even though it was too short. The best game for the system is probably Little Big Planet, but I hardly ever play it.

The 360's existing line-up and their versions of multiplat games trump anything else out or announced right now. With more content coming out for its best games, and stuff like Halo: ODST later this year, I'm pretty sure the 360 will continue to be my most played system.

I have to admit that the Wii barely gets touched anymore.

Believing in the PLAYSTATION®3......IS.......S_A_C_R_I_L_E_G_E

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
I own all 3 and I say definitely get that 360. Multi-console ownership is really the best way to go, in my opinion. And, I must admit, the 360 gets much more play time in my home than the Wii/PS3. Your experience may differ, though.

ok thanks for the advice. You seem to prefer the 360 and you own all system... ok !

d21lewis said:
I own all 3 and I say definitely get that 360. Multi-console ownership is really the best way to go, in my opinion. And, I must admit, the 360 gets much more play time in my home than the Wii/PS3. Your experience may differ, though.

That's more due to you owning the X360 first and you have well adapted to using it.  That wasn't the case with me.  I owned a X360 1st (launch unit) and PS3 2nd (launch unit).  After learning ALL the features of the PS3, I decided I didn't need a X360 anymore.  However, I needed the money a X360 trade-in could yield for more accessories and games.  Other's experiences may differ.

sly777 said:
d21lewis said:

ok thanks for the advice. You seem to prefer the 360 and you own all system... ok !

Same as me! I had the PS3 first then Wii then 360, 360 is the only one I play every day and spend money on, the other two hardly ever get used and will no doubt be sold in the near future

Buy both!! :)

Around the Network
yo_john117 said:
Buy both!! :)

I agree. Both systems are great.

But if I could only have one, I would get the Ps3. It's a no brainer.

Free Online, Free WiFi, more exclusives

"I don't have time to play video games anymore, but if I did, I would definitely choose the PlayStation 3 instead of the 360" - President Barack Obama

If you really like HALO or GEARS, buy a 360. If those two games are more important to you than any other, it's a no brainer.

If you like other stuff more, get a PS3 - especially if you have a good PC. As a not a "mainstream gamer," Little Big Planet and Valkyria Chronicles are about the best games I've played in a long time. Same with MGS4.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

FinalEvangelion said:
If you really like HALO or GEARS, buy a 360. If those two games are more important to you than any other, it's a no brainer.

If you like other stuff more, get a PS3 - especially if you have a good PC. As a not a "mainstream gamer," Little Big Planet and Valkyria Chronicles are about the best games I've played in a long time. Same with MGS4.

What makes Halo and Gears more mainstream than Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank?

At least tell us what genres you like.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Hmm.. I have both(used to have a wii too) I want to give my opinions, here we go. I'd say think of what you want first look at the exclusive lineup of each console thats the first thing to look at. Do look at PSN/XBLA as well.

Someone said 360 is better for sports, that's bull. All EA sports games as of 09 have very very little difference between versions. If anything PS3 has the sports edge right now with MLB the show exclusive to PS3.

Xbox 360 has better online service? Alot of 360 fans will say yes, but mainly all it has that PS3 doesn't is cross-game voice chat with friends, Right now PS3 only has text chat while in game, but future firmware updates could change that. They are very close to offering the same features.

360: $200 + (Hard drive: $100, Wifi $80, Online $40/yr, Charge kit(s) $20-50, Blu-ray Unavailable)

PS3: $400 + (Blu-ray, Wifi, Online, Plugtocharge: Free)

PS3: Pros:
-Blu-Ray movies, games(scratch resistant)
-Quiet
-Free Online, Built-in Wifi
-Six-axis (yea i know people bash it, but it's there, optional and a few games do use it well)
-Internet browsing.
-Home(if you want it it's there free of charge otherwise no need)
-Cheaper components (can use any laptop Sata HDD, any usb/bluetooth headset)
-Superior graphics on top Exclusives (MGS4, KZ2, GT5, GodofWar3, Uncharted)
-Most PSN games/DLC sharable with 5 PS3s. (Give your friends that own PS3s all the content you buy at no charge)
-If you have 1080p, much more support in games especially on PSN.
-PSP compatibility with remote play.
-Chrome finish with Sleek elegant design, on interface as well as console. (it looks nice)

Cons:
-Lowest Priced sku is expensive.

Xbox360: Pros:
-Slight graphical advantage on some multiplatform games. (Bioshock, PoP, Fallout3, other games that have it are usually low-profile games)
-In game custom soundtracks offered on all games (not just Sony 1st party)
-Cheaper entry price.
-Build your own custom Avatar (mii clone)
-headset (albeit cheap) included with pro-elite consoles.
-Video marketplace has more selection than PSN at the moment.
-Netflix streaming if you're a gold member and have a paid netflix account.

Cons:
-Noticeably louder when turned on than PS3 (with or without games being run via HDD) -this thing sounds like a pc.
-High failure rate on console in past. May still have high rate.
-Advertisements built into dashboard with or without gold (PS3 has no advertisements)
-Online, Wifi, HDD come as hidden charges to many (you will want a Hard drive if you plan on using it for more than one or two games)

If you're waiting on a PS3 price cut I'd say wait till E3(June 2nd) but keep an eye out for specials at retailers like best buy. Theres a lot of speculation that it will happen there (like it did 2 years ago) But no one really knows for sure Sony may keep it at $400, if it does happen a smaller 360 pro price cut will probably happen shortly after.

Consider yourself informed, make sure you look into the exclusive games on each platform.

I might as well list some good PS3 exclusives. Somebody else do 360, I don't really know much about it, and I'd just end up using Metacritic or something.

MGS4 (and it's staying exclusive)
Uncharted
Killzone 2
LittleBigPlanet
Valkyria Chronicles
Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
Resistance 2
Resistance
Heavenly Sword
Folklore
Ninja Gaiden Sigma (lol, not really an exclusive, but it's only on the PS3 this gen)
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
MLB 09
MLB 08 (Those two only in NA, though, I think)
MotorStorm
MotorStorm: Pacific Rift
Warhawk
Singstar
Metal Gear Online
Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice
The Eye of Judgement

PSN:
Flower
WipEout HD
Pixeljunk Monsters
Pixeljunk Eden