By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy 13 being developed with cross-platform engine

Older than, well, something that's very old. I mean damn, Legend, are you such a big troll that you have to post something from months and months ago?

It's freakin' ridiculous!

Around the Network

Its like people think that the ps3 will stay below 10 million in userbase when FF XIII is released.

mM

There is so much silly here. LOL

When FF XIII is released? I'm sure the PS3 will have at least 10 million by then...but you do realize FF XIII still has quite a while before it's out, right? I'm not expecting it anytime next year.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
When FF XIII is released? I'm sure the PS3 will have at least 10 million by then...but you do realize FF XIII still has quite a while before it's out, right? I'm not expecting it anytime next year.

It will be released for Japan next year but the US and EU are most likely going to have to wait until 09. It will be late 08 at best for the US.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6178305.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;11

And as you can see there. This MMO has been in development for quite a while. Nothing new here.

Around the Network

"""Its like people think that the ps3 will stay below 10 million in userbase when FF XIII is released."""

completely agree
I dont see FFXIII on Xbox360 too
but I see others SE games on multiplateform

Time to Work !

FFXIII is coming out 2009 and we can be pretty sure that PS3 have sold more then 10million then. Sony have 1 year to make the ps3 a succes or SEwill port the game to 360 but I dont really believe that will happen. Still feels crazy that 360 have bigger chance to get the main serie then Wii and FFXIV is far away. SE might have other plans for the white engine for future games for ps3/360 and they are testing now.

Non Sequor said:
Square-Enix is in a really tough position. They've already sunk a ton of money on making this game for the PS3, but they won't have a very large installed base to sell to if they release it as a PS3 exclusive. Of course, if it stays exclusive, FFXIII will sell a lot of PS3s, but Square-Enix won't sell as many copies of FFXIII as it would selling a game to an installed base that is already large. As a PS3 exclusive, FFXIII would have to have above a 50% attach rate to match the success of its predecessors.

FFXIII isn't going to have a 50% attach rate.  Ben is right that the PS3 will have about 10million console sold by the time it's released (2009) and FFXIII isn't going to sell 5 million.  I know that FFXII sold nearly 5 million copies but there are also A LOT more PS2's out there.

Also, news of an engine being multiplatform isn't huge news, it's just common sense.

Non Sequor said:
Square-Enix is in a really tough position. They've already sunk a ton of money on making this game for the PS3, but they won't have a very large installed base to sell to if they release it as a PS3 exclusive. Of course, if it stays exclusive, FFXIII will sell a lot of PS3s, but Square-Enix won't sell as many copies of FFXIII as it would selling a game to an installed base that is already large. As a PS3 exclusive, FFXIII would have to have above a 50% attach rate to match the success of its predecessors.

It would probably be pretty easy to release FFXIII on the 360, but that wouldn't help Square-Enix at all in Japan. To release it on the Wii they'd have to redo most of the game assets.

So Square-Enix has four options: release FFXIII as a PS3 exclusive and accept weak sales, release FFXIII for PS3 and 360 and accept weak sales in Japan, release FFXIII for the PS3 and Wii and accept the added cost of porting the game to the Wii, or cut FFXIII's budget and shift the funds to other titles in the Fabula Nova Crystallis fleet and declare that there is no main FFXIII and that the PS3 FFXIII isn't any more important than the other Fabula Nova Crystallis titles.

I don't think that Square-Enix is willing to accept weak sales in Japan for one of their flagship games. So I predict they'll either port it to the Wii or demote it from flagship status.

Yahh yhah, Now reality is higest selling FF launched on a user base of 10 million.

I can bet real money right now FF13 will never be on the 360 or any White engine game.

Came on people, one legit good reason why in the hell would SE waste money on UT3 engine if White was Multi ???

The first FF on a new platform usually does about 60% of its sales in the US and Europe. It seems that as more come out on the same system the sales stay the same in Japan but lower in other countries.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X