By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Would it be in the 360's best interest for MS to pull it out of Japan?

JP is an extra region to make potential profit/sales...it makes no sense to pull out

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network
seece said:
However, the fact is even though it has already been on the market one year less, the PS3 has sold over 3 times as many consoles in Japan as the 360 (3.02 PS3s to 1.01 M 360s).

Is not 3 times as many =P

and no the very fact the PS3 has only outsold the 360 by 2 million is a feat in itself.

Okay it is 2.99 times which unless you're trying to be a stickler is for all practial purposes 3x.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

Dark Chaos said:
So by your logic SONY should pull out of the Americas considering they are getting pummeled there???

love how SONY fanboys love to jump on the 360 when its not selling well. It has been a huge accomplishment for 360 in Japan. From the last gen:
XBOX = 500 000
PS2= 23 000 000 + more
Thats a 1:46 ratio for every Xbox sold in comparison to the PS2

Now
X360 = 1 000 000
PS3 = 3 000 000
Thats a 1:3 ratio for ever X360 sold for ever PS3

You are calling that a failure. Then the PS3 must be a bigger failure in your eyes as well.

No, the PS3 has had several games that have sold over 1 million copies in the US.  How many games has the 360 had that have sold over 250,000 in Japan?

Heavens to Murgatoids.

bonkers with that 1 million 360 best selling game is a little over 200k. with ps3s 8 million ps3s best selling game is a couple million. your insane if you think ps3 sales in america is comparable to 360s japanese sales. its easy to justify launching in a territory and getting your ass handed to you uf your still selling well and pushing decent sw numbers something 360 struggles to do in japan

seece said:
However, the fact is even though it has already been on the market one year less, the PS3 has sold over 3 times as many consoles in Japan as the 360 (3.02 PS3s to 1.01 M 360s).

Is not 3 times as many =P

and no the very fact the PS3 has only outsold the 360 by 2 million is a feat in itself.

That's more owing to how the Japanese market is these days; interested in handhelds, not in HD.

Around the Network
ymeaga1n said:
I'll admit I only skimmed your post. Something that stood out was "Japanese developers that want to make HD games into developing exclusively for the PS3 (when you know you are going to sell 2.5 million copies on the PS3 as opposed to 250,000 on the 360,"

Which ps3 game sold 2.5 million that only sold 250k on 360? And as fastford said above me, japanese devs are trying to penetrate the western market, which currently is being topped by the x360.

For the 2.5 million mark, I was talking about the potential that games will have to sell on the PS3 in Japan after GT5 and FFXIII launch as exclusives there later this year and the PS3's install base grows from 3 million to 5 million as a result.  Of course, FF Versus XIII as an exclusive has a chance to hit 2.5 million in Japan.  FFXII sold 2.42 million copies there.

However, if Star Ocean 4 had been on the PS3 instead of the 360, it would have sold multiple times what the 360 version did.   Street Fighter IV on PS3 sold over 2x what the 360 version did and Resident Evil 4 on PS3 sold 4 times what the 360 version did.  And as mentioned above Level 5's rpg sold 140,000 copies more than Star Ocean 4 despite the fact that Square is the premiere rpg developer in Japan while Level-5 is only the second, third, fourth, fifth, or sixth biggest rpg developer in Japan and WKC only received average reviews in Famitsu.

Japanese studios have much more potential for their games to sell on the PS3 in Japan than they do on the 360 and when the PS3 hits the five million sold in Japan mark, they won't really have any reason to develop games on the 360.  

Heavens to Murgatoids.

CGI-Quality said:
Dark Chaos said:
So by your logic SONY should pull out of the Americas considering they are getting pummeled there???

love how SONY fanboys love to jump on the 360 when its not selling well. It has been a huge accomplishment for 360 in Japan. From the last gen:
XBOX = 500 000
PS2= 23 000 000 + more

Now
X360 = 1 000 000
PS3 = 3 000 000

You are calling that a failure. Then the PS3 must be a bigger failure in your eyes as well.

@ The bolded: absolutely, I agree.

Remember the old saying, "if at first you don't succeed, try, try again"?

The 360 has helped the Xbox brand make SIGNIFICANT headway in Japan. For that, I see no reason for them to pull out.

If anything, it sets up a true playing ground for the 720 to make even more headway next gen, hence, the industry is moving forward. This is a good thing, no matter how fans try to slice it, and MS gets congrats from me.

If it has helped the 360 make significant headway in Japan, then I would expect to see it's numbers increasing instead of falling each week.  I really don't see how the 360 will be capable of selling many more units in Japan after the coming storm that is Gran Turismo 5, Final Fantasy XIII, and Versus XIII all arrive as exclusives on PS3.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

BTFeather55 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Dark Chaos said:

XBOX = 500 000
PS2= 23 000 000 + more

Now
X360 = 1 000 000
PS3 = 3 000 000

@ The bolded: absolutely, I agree.

Remember the old saying, "if at first you don't succeed, try, try again"?

The 360 has helped the Xbox brand make SIGNIFICANT headway in Japan. For that, I see no reason for them to pull out.

If anything, it sets up a true playing ground for the 720 to make even more headway next gen, hence, the industry is moving forward. This is a good thing, no matter how fans try to slice it, and MS gets congrats from me.

If it has helped the 360 make significant headway in Japan, then I would expect to see it's numbers increasing instead of falling each week.  I really don't see how the 360 will be capable of selling many more units in Japan after the coming storm that is Gran Turismo 5, Final Fantasy XIII, and Versus XIII all arrive as exclusives on PS3.

Compared to last year in the same time period it has increased by more than 100%.

And to ur second pt wasnt that what ppl said after MGS4, every exclusive game for PS3??? And will it change the ratio from 1:3 to 1:46??

dark chaos the ps3 is already selling 4 times faster than the 360 and expect the ps3 to be supported longer than the 360. 3 to 1 ratio is just gonna get bigger from here

It is best to tell them you are going to pull out and then don't. It will surprise the hell out of them. Possibly make them angry.