Forums - Sony Discussion - Most Memorable PS2 RPG

naznatips said:
zexen_lowe said:
naznatips said:
zexen_lowe said:
naznatips said:
zexen_lowe said:
Epoch said:

Most memorable? I would have to say FFXII.  Because it embodied everything I think the FF series should have stayed away from.  From the battle system to the poor story(IMO), it was a let down of the FF series.

In a good way ? FF X lol.

PS: This Dragon Quest VIII... is it good enough to warrant buying today?  I am intrigues as to why I never heard of it before.

No, it's not. Stay the hell out of that game. Worst PS2 game I've played, ever

It's very hard and not for kids.

I'm not a kid, and I didn't hate it for the difficulty but for the total lack of anything that could be called "story" and "interesting battle system"

The story is simple, but if that's your opinion of it I doubt you played it past the first town/dungeon.

Well, you're wrong. I admit I didn't beat the game (there was a point I couldn't stand it anymore), but I played it a good chunk of time. Far more than what it deserved

Some people will never get the classic JRPG style. You started with FFVII didn't you?

No, I started with Suikoden II. Which is better than what any RPG will ever be

Around the Network

Final Fantasy XII.

zexen_lowe said:

I have to admit I've never played a Suikoden game, but I do know they are not classic JRPGs.  So yeah, in the JRPG world, you are a kid to me.

naznatips said:
zexen_lowe said:

I have to admit I've never played a Suikoden game, but I do know they are not classic JRPGs.  So yeah, in the JRPG world, you are a kid to me.

What do you understand as classic? Do you only take into account the age of the game? Or does it have to include some features, like cliched story, or ancient gameplay? Anyway, I've played and loved FF6, it has a 100 times better story and gameplay than DQ8 and came out 12 years earlier. That tells you something

zexen_lowe said:
naznatips said:
zexen_lowe said:

What do you understand as classic? Do you only take into account the age of the game? Or does it have to include some features, like cliched story, or ancient gameplay? Anyway, I've played and loved FF6, it has a 100 times better story and gameplay than DQ8 and came out 12 years earlier. That tells you something

FFVI is not classic in style. DQ games are. It's a style that focuses on unique and wonderful worlds full of exploration and content, and extreme challenge in combat. This is more what the original FF and DQ games were. DQVIII expands on that some with a good well-developed cast, but sticks with the throwaway plot. The purpose of DQVIII isn't to be enraptured by some great plot (Most of which are cheesy in the end in JRPGs anyway), but to give you an amazing and well-developed world to explore, and a challenging experience throughout.

Around the Network
naznatips said:
zexen_lowe said:
naznatips said:
zexen_lowe said:

FFVI is not classic in style. DQ games are. It's a style that focuses on unique and wonderful worlds full of exploration and content, and extreme challenge in combat. This is more what the original FF and DQ games were. DQVIII expands on that some with a good well-developed cast, but sticks with the throwaway plot. The purpose of DQVIII isn't to be enraptured by some great plot (Most of which are cheesy in the end in JRPGs anyway), but to give you an amazing and well-developed world to explore, and a challenging experience throughout.

Dragon Quest 8 bored me to death. I guess its just not my type of game.

naznatips said:
zexen_lowe said:
naznatips said:
zexen_lowe said:

So you're trying to use his opinion that DQVIII was both boring and the fact that it's an RPG with little to no story to discredit him? That seems kind of dumb. DQVIII was boring to me as well as other people and I've played a bunch of JRPG's and enjoyed them but the DQ series was not for me and I dont think I'm a kid to anyone and I dont think  you should be calling someone a kid because they dont like a particular series that you like, thats just real immature and something only kids would do.

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Awwww here it goes.

Okay, DQ players, you're in the green corner.

FF fans, you get blue.

Pokemaniacs, you're in orange.

Niche fans, you take yellow.

Everyone else gets to just walk away.

ShadowSoldier said:
naznatips said:
zexen_lowe said:
naznatips said:
zexen_lowe said:

So you're trying to use his opinion that DQVIII was both boring and the fact that it's an RPG with little to no story to discredit him? That seems kind of dumb. DQVIII was boring to me as well as other people and I've played a bunch of JRPG's and enjoyed them but the DQ series was not for me and I dont think I'm a kid to anyone and I dont think  you should be calling someone a kid because they dont like a particular series that you like, thats just real immature and something only kids would do.

I was trying to explain to him that his scope of RPG experiences was not "all-knowing" and other people who appreciated a different style might enjoy DQVIII, despite his very absolute statement that DQVIII was awful. So yes, I'm trying to show that he has parts of the RPG genre he's ignorant of, just as you do.

People who haven't played a single RPG before the SNES generation probably shouldn't be presenting their opinions of the genre as gospel. I understand some people don't enjoy DQ games. I'm saying don't use that as an excuse to attack the game just because you don't understand it or enjoy that style.

naznatips said:

I was trying to explain to him that his scope of RPG experiences was not "all-knowing" and other people who appreciated a different style might enjoy DQVIII, despite his very absolute statement that DQVIII was awful. So yes, I'm trying to show that he has parts of the RPG genre he's ignorant of, just as you do.

People who haven't played a single RPG before the SNES generation probably shouldn't be presenting their opinions of the genre as gospel. I understand some people don't enjoy DQ games. I'm saying don't use that as an excuse to attack the game just because you don't understand it or enjoy that style.

Naz is right here, folks. You should listen to Naz. Never take your own reaction to an interpretation of the genre and then try to spread it as gospel, especially negative gospel, because you may stunt the experiences of someone who may have enjoyed it very much.