By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii, Price Drops, and Long Term Sales...

I think Nintendo wants to set the record for how long a console can go without a price drop. Seriously though, I think the Wiiboard will be the determining factor if the Wii will recieve a price drop or not. If the Wiiboard is a hit, don't expect a price drop until 2009.

Around the Network

double post.

KruzeS said:
cdude1034 said:

[the PS2] didn't drop its price before it stopped being sold out everywhere.

Right. I didn't say any drop was going to be soon. I don't think they'll "meet" demand (I meant "exceed") anytime soon. Actually, that's the only reason I've already bought a Wii. I'd never bought a console at full price before, but given how well it instantly sold, I knew it'd be long before a price drop and wasn't prepared to miss on Zelda/Mario/etc waiting for that to happen.

cdude1034 said:

The PS2 at least had slower sales before its price drop...

This I disagree with. It didn't slow down. They met demand, then exceeded it. But sales hadn't really slowed, at least not significantly.

Look at it this way, the Wii started off faster than the PS2, in every region and combined. However, at the projected rate of 16.5m Wii's shipped "per year" (meaning, this year), it'd take more than 7 years to beat the PS2. No, if they want a shot at doing PS2 levels, they have to sell better than they are selling now, not patiently await for a slowdown to stir the market with a price drop.

Whether all it takes is a supply increase, or if fueling demand is also necessary (with a price drop, maybe a redesign instead), it remains to be seen. The DS Lite apparently fueled itself, no price drop needed. But the Wii will have to, and is going to, ship more than 16.5 million units next fiscal year, that much is a given.

This isn't Nintendo's goal though, to out sell the PS2. Their goal is to A) sell consoles and B) make money regardless of the past console history, so a price drop is won't exactly achieve goal B.

In support of your argument though, I will say this;

Overall, success of a console is based on how many homes you can get your console in. The more consoles sold, the more likely VC games are to be bought, and the more games you can potentially sell.

My point is that it's just not needed, and won't be until demand slows down. 

Currently playing: Civ 6

@ cdude1034, jlauro, souixan, GranTurismo, TheBigFatJ, and couchmonkey,

lol, how many of you guys actually read my post? The topic was nothing to do with when they will drop price, I made minor mention of the slight possibility of a drop in EU/Others sooner than expected since demand is lower there but other than that I focused solely on the impact a price drop could have and smart ways of implementing price drops.

Hell my opening line was this...

"Ok by now pretty much everyone understands that the Wii is not going to have a price drop until supply meets demand and stays that way for at least a month or more. "

Is it too much to ask you read at least the first paragraph before commenting? Not trying to be rude but I took the time to write the post so if you didn't take the time to read it could you at least not derail the thread please?

@HappySqurriel & DonWii,

Agreed, I actually mentioned the power of the bundles and potentially of offering some of interesting deals to 3rd party devs as a way of providing incentive for exclusives. I think we are at point where most newly started big projects are going to be forced to give serious consideration to the Wii, so when you pack in some nice incentives it could be a very strong combination. The whole idea is that the savings they would be providing to us right now in the form of a price cut could instead be used as a pool of cash to fund these incentive programs. And the nice thing about these incentive deals is that they don't have to be permanent so you can actually get the effect several times with different games before eventually dropping price and customers will have no problems with it since they are special deals.

To Each Man, Responsibility

@sqrl

I see your point, but you really can't even ask that question yet, that's my point. It's not fair. By the time the Wii drops its price the market will be a lot different than it will now.

Think console saturation, games coming out, etc. It's like asking what the world will be like in 2020. 

Currently playing: Civ 6

Around the Network
cdude1034 said:

@sqrl

I see your point, but you really can't even ask that question yet, that's my point. It's not fair. By the time the Wii drops its price the market will be a lot different than it will now.

Think console saturation, games coming out, etc. It's like asking what the world will be like in 2020.

Seriously if you read my post it makes a lot more sense what I am trying to say. The point is that people are talking about long term sales right now, and in those discussions everyone discounts or completely ignores the fact that Nintendo has plenty of price cut, bundle, and incentive options in their arsenal simply because they have not had to worry about a price drop.

So I have to ask, why can't we ask these questions and talk about thes topics? Why isn't it fair? The whole point of asking the question is to foster insightful discussion and try to determine what the differences in the market will be and how Nintendo can respond to its position in that market.

You are of course free to choose not to speculate on the matter but it doesn't stop the rest of us who are interested in it from doing so.

PS - I certainly hope someone is thinking about what the world will be like in 2020, I don't like the idea of just flitting about with a "where we end up is where we end up" attitude.

To Each Man, Responsibility

I blame WiiFit.

Errrhh, I blame WiiFit because it looks like a perfect fit for a Wii bundle. I don't think adding value by bundling is a very efficient strategy, at least usually, and that a simple price cut usually works better. But... bundling in another tech-demo, mini-game compilation that looks to have the potential of Wii Sports as a system seller is trashing my world view. It's just amazing that Nintendo has come up with these two *killer apps* one year apart from each other. I imagine their will be some households that have two Wii's, one for games and the other for workouts. That's how disruptive WiiFit has the potential to become. I commend Nintendo for their brilliant strategy, now to wait another year to see how it pans out.

fkusumot said:
I blame WiiFit.

Errrhh, I blame WiiFit because it looks like a perfect fit for a Wii bundle. I don't think adding value by bundling is a very efficient strategy, at least usually, and that a simple price cut usually works better. But... bundling in another tech-demo, mini-game compilation that looks to have the potential of Wii Sports as a system seller is trashing my world view. It's just amazing that Nintendo has come up with these two *killer apps* one year apart from each other. I imagine their will be some households that have two Wii's, one for games and the other for workouts. That's how disruptive WiiFit has the potential to become. I commend Nintendo for their brilliant strategy, now to wait another year to see how it pans out.
Nice sig - with everything that is happening, I sort of forget how many good DS games are hitting soon. Love to get 2 or 3 of those at least ;)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Thanks shams... those are all on my radar. Zelda, Jam Sessions and Rhythm n' Notes are confirmed buys for me. The others I'll get, or not, after looking at the reviews. It's interesting how people don't get worked up much about the DS anymore. I keep having ideas for DS threads but then I wonder if anyone wants to say much about the DS and the games. I blame WiiFit! snick

HappySqurriel said:

I personally expect Nintendo to start by bundling before they do a price drop as a way to promote Wii Fit to the level where third parties will feel comfortable supporting it; to get maximum value out of this the bundle would be Wii + Wii Sports + Wii Fit + Wiimote and Nunchuck (with the possibility of an additional Wiimote and Nunchuck). By doing this for only 6 months Nintendo would ensure that Wii Fit was one of the most purchased add-ons to a console of all time and companies like EA, Capcom and Konami could feel comfortable developing both games that have added functionality for the Wii Fit board or are designed to only work with the Wii Fit Board.

6 months to a year after Nintendo packaged Wii Fit with the Wii they could (probably) comfortably reduce the price of the Wii to $200 without fear of losing money.

I could be wrong, but I expect that a $250 Wii with Wii Sports, Wii Fit and (possibly) 2 Wiimotes and Nunchucks looks like a far better value than a Core XBox 360 at $250-$280 or a Priemium XBox 360 for $300 to $350 (not to mention a $400 to $500 PS3).

I agree. never thought about it that way, but yopu have a point. I think that there are some third parties that already have faith in it. Were at a point that if Nintendo makes a periferal, it works.

I don't think we'll see a price cut for a long, LONG time. Pricer cuts up sales right? So why up sales when they can't even keep demand up. At this point, iot would be cutting into priofits. I don't expect we'll see one 'till they are staying on the shelves for over a week. But even then, they'll probobly still move. I predict late '08 at best. Most likely 09.