By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
GOONYDUDE said:
Great and Short with long replay like Diablo II.

That's a good example too!

Around the Network
zexen_lowe said:
I think the best example of replay value is Katamari Damacy (and the sequel of course), the game is short, but I literally played every stage a hundred times, few games lasted me longer, I wanted to perfect my score in every stage

Right! KD is a good example too ^^

Bobbuffalo said:
zexen_lowe said:
I think the best example of replay value is Katamari Damacy (and the sequel of course), the game is short, but I literally played every stage a hundred times, few games lasted me longer, I wanted to perfect my score in every stage

Wow, must be like the first time you agree with me

Riot Of The Blood said:
theRepublic said:
Riot Of The Blood said:
zexen_lowe said:
Lengthy game with no replay value. I mostly don't like replaying games, so I prefer much more a lengthy game (hence why I like JRPGs)

You don't replay your RPG's? That kinda... what the genre is all about IMO.

Really?  I've never heard that before.  Could you explain?

Sure.

RPG's to me are about creating a fictional universe where you feel you're a part of -- something that just sucks you in and keeps you playing. That's why things like exploration, content, gameplay, and replay value are so important. I'd consider Pokemon to be the model JRPG which JRPG's should be based on. I know people like a good story, but that's so rare that I can't really call it a trademark for JRPG's. They make it feel like you're in a cartoon almost. that's what a JRPG is to me.

Well not all RPG's are that way. The Final Fantasy titles are extremely lineal and once you finish it, is over. Unlike other games like POkemon, Ultima, and Oblivion that had many paths and possible endings, making the replay value high, the Final fantasys and Dragon quests are more like reading a book with a beginning, one plot and one end.

I guess is a matter of taste.

Riot Of The Blood said:
theRepublic said:
Riot Of The Blood said:
zexen_lowe said:
Lengthy game with no replay value. I mostly don't like replaying games, so I prefer much more a lengthy game (hence why I like JRPGs)

You don't replay your RPG's? That kinda... what the genre is all about IMO.

Really?  I've never heard that before.  Could you explain?

Sure.

RPG's to me are about creating a fictional universe where you feel you're a part of -- something that just sucks you in and keeps you playing. That's why things like exploration, content, gameplay, and replay value are so important. I'd consider Pokemon to be the model JRPG which JRPG's should be based on. I know people like a good story, but that's so rare that I can't really call it a trademark for JRPG's. They make it feel like you're in a cartoon almost. that's what a JRPG is to me.

I see what you are saying with Pokémon, I just use different terminology.  I kept playing after I beat the game.  I didn't go back and start over, which is what I thought you were originally saying.  On heavily story based RPGs, I'm with zexen_lowe, there is no reason to replay those.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
zexen_lowe said:
Bobbuffalo said:
zexen_lowe said:

pa que luego no digas que soy gacho =P

I personally don't have a preference. I enjoy playing both lengthy and short games. The only thing that really matters to me is if I have fun with the game. Although, right now with exams looming, I guess I'm leaning towards shorter gaming periods.

Right now, and probably for the next month, I'm going to be playing mostly Overkill when at home, replaying a level or two. On my way to school on the bus, I'm playing Platinum, which is a long game, but I put shorter gaming periods into it (~45 minutes each way).

Bobbuffalo said:
zexen_lowe said:
Bobbuffalo said:
zexen_lowe said:

pa que luego no digas que soy gacho =P

Nunca dije que fueras gacho...sobre todo porque nunca escuché esa palabra en mi vida

For me it must be one of these three:

1. Short, but with online multiplayer (such as CoD: Modern Warfare, Halo 3, or Killzone 2)

2. Long, plus replayability (such as Fallout 3 or Oblivion)

3. Or games that are kind of "infinite" such as sports games or driving games that you don't necessarily beat but you just keep playing till your bored of it (such as NHL, Madden or Gran Turismo)

so to give you a definite answer, I'd prefer ones with online multiplayer, whether they're short or long campaigns.