By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: Nintendo set to refresh Wii internal hardware, 65nm CPU/GPU coming

Rumor: Nintendo set to refresh Wii internal hardware, 65nm CPU/GPU coming

According to Digital Battle, a tipster who frequently tips off Digitimes has come to them to reveal that the Wii is set to receive 65nm version of both its CPU and graphics chips this Summer. Apparently, the new chips will make the Wii 'passively cooled' and thus it won't require any fans...

Quote:
We got a word from a tipster (who frequently tips off Chinese trade paper Digitimes), that Nintendo will be refreshing Wii internal hardware this summer, with 65nm versions of both its CPU and graphics chips, while clock rates would stay the same.

Currently, the IBM PowerPC based CPU is made on a 90nm process and the ATI “Hollywood” GPU is likewise 90nm. Both companies have been making 65nm chips for over a year, while ATI also has 55nm working technology as well.

Furthermore, thanks to the new chips, the Wii is said to be “passively-cooled”, meaning it won’t require any fans.

News Source: Digitalbattle

No fans?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

Nintendo's profits double confirmed :p

No fans would be quite impressive, but I guess it makes sense, since the wii doesn't have very many moving parts (right?).

Makes sense. No fans + 65nm shrink will significantly reduce costs too.

Wii Slim??

No chance of a price cut I assume.

More $$ for Nintendo.

Around the Network

Lol, so this means Nintendo will make an even bigger profit off every Wii sold? Nice. :)

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Gamerace said:
Wii Slim??

More $$ for Nintendo.

Can't make it any slimmer.   This would reduce some motherboard real estate but offer no change to how thick the unit is.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

No fan would make it better for homes with people who smoke. It would keep the Wii from sucking all the smoke in and harming the lens.

Or am I off?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

The wii has many fans including the one in the Wii itself XD

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Viper1 said:
Gamerace said:
Wii Slim??

More $$ for Nintendo.

Can't make it any slimmer.   This would reduce some motherboard real estate but offer no change to how thick the unit is.

Your sarcasm detector is broken.