By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - America's Army Vets hate America's Army

This is an interesting story. American Iraq Vets show their displeasure about the game America's Army

http://gamepolitics.com/2007/09/04/iraq-war-veterans-protest-americas-army-game/

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

awesome find man. I hate AA personally, terrible game takes up too much memory. Its understandable how they feel. Games can’t train you for killing because games are not realistic, warfare has been described as ‘Long periods of boredom followed by short periods of terror’, no game can ever, or will ever prepare you for that, games are more like fairground rides, where you choose to scare yourself in a nice, safe environment without any danger, they have little, if anything in common with reality.

I could be wrong but I don't believe this is as much about America's Army as it is about a symbol to protest against with a good catch phrase ...

America's Army was (in my opinion) a fair representation of Army culture as well as a (some what) realistic view of combat. It was a tool for recruitment but they never glorified combat or presented it in a way which seemed unrealistically favourable to the army.

I've always hated the game even since I was in service. One of my friends tried to get me into it but I honestly think it's just creepy. I refuse to play Socom and GRAW for the same reason.

VGChartz forums: the new gamefaqs

These veterans in particular are anti-Iraq war vets. They have seen enough bad stuff in Iraq to warrant their feelings of never wanting to have anything to do with it again. They are protesting this game because it is probably an effective tool for recruiting into a war that they disagree with.

In other words, this is more of a protest against the war, or at least thier feelings of the game are based on the war itself.

Around the Network

i wonder if war veterans play war-related games, given what they've experienced.

it's always been controversial for the US army to use a game for promoting and recruiting purposes. apparently it's been effective though.

the Wii is an epidemic.

They would probably have been for it if the Iraq thing wasn't happening. Vets are usually quite happy to promote the military as a career.

dallas said:
They would probably have been for it if the Iraq thing wasn't happening. Vets are usually quite happy to promote the military as a career.

I'd be more cautious with that statement. Some people love it, others hate it. It's kind of  rare to find people who are entirely satisfied with their in-service experience. For all the perks there are a plethora of nagging and seemingly useless or dated procedures to just about everything. The nature of the beast is ever evolving but in truth much of what goes on in the Department of Defense seems frivolous like a dog chasing its tail. That's just my angle. I'm interested to hear from others who have served.

VGChartz forums: the new gamefaqs

I remember seeing the Ads on US tv where the kids are playing the game, and the soldier in the game turns to the kids and says "You guys are pretty good at this, maybe you'd like to try the real thing?" It was one of the most apalling military recruitment ads I'd ever seen. And I've seen some pretty disgusting military recruitment ads.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

AntiFanTard said:
dallas said:

I'd be more cautious with that statement. Some people love it, others hate it. It's kind of  rare to find people who are entirely satisfied with their in-service experience. For all the perks there are a plethora of nagging and seemingly useless or dated procedures to just about everything. The nature of the beast is ever evolving but in truth much of what goes on in the Department of Defense seems frivolous like a dog chasing its tail. That's just my angle. I'm interested to hear from others who have served.

Yeah, but it seems kind of odd that people would just protest a game of all things, especially in america.  This wasn't a group like MADD or some religious group protesting media that they considered unmoral or some political group that didn't like war.  These are beer drinkin, scatter-gun shootin veterans and the only thing that I can see as a reason for the protest is the war in Iraq and i'll paraphrase what you quoted; that if the Iraq war wasn't an issue, these vets would be all for the latest army game.