By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mario Galaxy shown at GDC

Yeah, when I was watching this Mario trailer...I was thinking of Rare the whole time...how a game like Banjo or Donkey Kong would rock...too bad they switched over...it's such a colorful developer...see Viva

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

yorch said: One note about Wii graphics. Nintendo in association with ATI patented a technology which can "simulate" polygons. It was like a "volumetric" texture. Hard to explain for me, I don't remember the name of the technology (and my english isn't that good either). I saw a photo, it was a ground texture, like asphalt in tiles. Before the application of the render, it was a plain texture, after, tiles were elevated from the ground, attending to the lights and shadows of the texture.
I don't know too much about it, but its basically a special (custom) pixel shader. Similar to normal mapping, except I think its even more useful/powerful.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Hey Kwaad... where are you? Got nothing good to say? The game looks fantastic - can't wait. If this isn't "art", I would say that I am blind.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I really didn't like Mario 64, and the little of Sunshine I've played, although I think I'll take another gamble with this one... 3D platformers just don't work right most of the time, and there are better examples than Nintendos.

HappySqurriel said: yorch said: Looks awesome!! Ahh, I can't wait!! This is what Wii games should look like. Not as bad as I thought (I think it's much more than 2 glued Gamecubes). And yes, It remembers me Super Mario 64 (One of my favorite games in all history...) Still, I don't see the especial use of the wiimote here. Whats more, seems to be prepared for the classic one. But if it comes from Nintendo, the best use of the wiimote is a sure. If Wii had more games like this harcore players won't be so doubtful... I actually don't understand why some Wii games look so bad (except for bad developers) ... If you look at how many pixels are being displayed and compare it to how many textured polygons the Wii is able to produce (with good scene-graph management) the Wii should be rendering more textured polygons than it is displaying pixels; visually, this means that you shouldn't see artifacts from polygonalization and all textures should be very crisp and clear ...
All games out right now began life on overclocked GC development kits. Finalized Wii development kits were not shipped to developers until a few weeks prior to launch. Starting this summer, you'll see more games that were designed from the ground up on Wii hardware and they'll have a much greater graphical impact. Take this quote from Eiji Aonuma yesterday at GDC regarding the next Zelda on Wii.... Quizzed on whether or not there is room for visual improvement to the Zelda series on Wii, Aonuma responded: "With the Wii version of Twilight Princess, I was creating the Wii version of a GameCube game and wanted to make them similar, so I didn't use the Wii graphics capability to its full capacity. We could actually do a lot more with that and I'm looking forward to doing that." As for Mario Galaxy.......It's games like this that make you awe in absolute wonder.

Around the Network

Funny, isn´t it? The company that doesn´t see games as an art form shows a game that looks more like art than every Final Fantasy or Metal Gear shown on the PS3 Nintendo shows again what alomost everyone seems to forget: It is not about the textures it´s about how interesting a game looks. And Mario Galaxy looks awesome interesting... and fun! A true must have and a wonderful sequel to Super Mario 64

This looks great i just hope it comes out before the fall season rush i need some games to play but then i love to go back to the old systems so i'm cool but i want this game it looks fantastic!

Does anyone know how open Nintendo is with the techniques they use to get the most (graphically and otherwise) out of their own systems? i.e. Do they share code with third-parties to help them improve their Nintendo-platform offerings? Because this game looks quite a bit better than anything before on the Wii/GC.

After playing Final Fantasy XII (and being disappointed), I've lost complete interest in the main FF series now. :( However, I'm actually looking forward to see what Dragon Quest Swords and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles : The Crystal Bearers are about. FFCC had potential, but design problems kept it from being a great title. :(

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

I don't know about Mario Galaxy yet. I do intend to buy it, but I can't reserve a judgement today about it because as visually stunning as it looks, I'm worried about the gameplay branching too far away from classic Mario. We'll see though when it's released. :D