By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why the PlayStation brand name is the strongest brand name in video games

@kjj4t9rdad

20 years plus of Sony dominance??? What are you smoking?  Your Sony 'owning" doesn't really amount to too much profit for Sony.  Nintendo's profit throughout the entire video game business is far greater than Sony could ever dream of.

Around the Network

completely off topic but when i googled PlayStation mascot this is what i got

nintendo

you be the judge who is stronger of the two for getting people

kjj4t9rdad said:
Onyxmeth said:

Hmmm...let's look at the possibility of maybe a stronger brand name. I give you the word "Wii". Here are the sales of various items under the branding "Wii".

Nintendo Wii console=49 million consoles sold
Wii Sports=44 million copies sold
Wii Play=22.5 million copies sold
Mario Kart Wii=15 million copies sold
Wii Fit=17 million copies sold
Wii Music=2.5 million copies sold
Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree=3 million copies sold

Soon to be added...Wii Sports Resort

Let's forget all that for a minute and just say Playstation is the strongest brand. Here are the reasonings:

1. Excuses involving price to explain away lame sales to show it is a strong brand

2. Anecdotal evidence involving random people associating videogaming with the word "Playstation"

3. To be continued later in this thread I'm sure

4. Reserved for the next lame excuse presented after the #3 spot gets filled

DId I miss anything? Gosh, now that I look at the reasoning, Playstation sure does sound the strongest. It's so strong in fact that it's pushing a healthy third place behind lame brand names nobody can remember like Microwho and Nintenwhat.

You are hell bent on changing the OP's opinion aren't you? 

Sales are not the only indicator of strong brand name.  The Wii's success is not due to brand name! Nobody new what a "Wii" was 2 years ago.  Nintendo hasn't been the strongest since the SNES.  Launch the Wii @ $500 & $600 and lets see if it would see 21 million in 2 years.  My thoughts are NO.

The games you listed all sold well, but they are all pretty pethitic games IMO.  Mario Kart is a great game but a 5 year old can beat the game in just a few days.  Nobody, except for a very young child, would consider any of the games you listed, good games.

btw, with the exception of Wii sports, i can simply replace every Nintendo thing you listed and replace it with PS2 things and all of those #'s go up.  Sony has kicked the crap out of Nintendo, Sega, M$ and anyone else in the console industry since joining with the exception of the last 2 years.  So basicly that's 20 plus years of Sony dominance vs. 2years of Nitendo dominance.  It is your argument that is lame, not any price excuses as you call them.

i cosnider those games to be good, so am i 5 years old? no... sony destroyed nintnedo the past two generations, and it was the strongest brand in games, yes.. it WAS, nintendo now is the strongest...

oh i forgot to mention one thing, ps1 was launched in 1994, nes in 1983 in japan and 1985 rest fo the world, that 10 years of nintendo domination, plus 2 now we get 12 years... sony ruled the market from 1994 to 2006,  soooo :p

Nintendo is a constant in life. Nintendo is the place where you can always go to have a great time, whether that is alone or together with friends. Nintendo made dozens of all time classics which are more than just amazing games. Nintendo is a gaming company. Nintendo raised our sorry asses better than a parent ever could. Nintendo is a religion. Nintendo is what drove gaming forward and what continues to drive gaming forward. Nintendo saved gaming in the '80s. Nintendo is saving gaming again right now.

Nintendo IS the industry. Nintendo IS gaming. - BY RolStoppable

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

mesoteto said:

@Zones----back peddle much?

Not really, and I hope you will read before replying to any of my post from now on.

My mom call my brother PSP a nintendo, where I live Nintendo=games, I was shocked when I knew the Playstation outsold Nintendo 2 generations because I knew more people with N64 and GC than PS and PS2.

Around the Network

Actually, throughout the PS1's life, people still called it "The Nintendo" Any first round through always carries residue of the prior victor. Next gen, everything will be called "The Wii".

The Playstation brand does ring strongly of times past, but the Wii has entered into the mainstream, and you'll hear "the playstation" very little in the next generation.

Is this the fastest a new user has been banned?

mesoteto said:

completely off topic but when i googled PlayStation mascot this is what i got

nintendo

you be the judge who is stronger of the two for getting people

Atleast compare apples with apples....

• 2010 MUST Haves: WKC, Heavy Rain, GoWIII, Fable III, Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders, FFXIII, Alan Wake, No More Heroes 2, Fragile Dreams: FRotM, Trinity: SoZ, BFBC2.
  • Older Need To Buys: Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart Wii, Deadspace, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2.

There is definitely more to list that I want, but that's my main focus there.

izaaz101 said:
BladeOfGod said:
N64 + GameCube+ DS+Wii= around 250 million units sold

PS1+PS2+PSP+PS3= around 321 million sold.

So, Nintendo got its ass kicked since PlayStation was launched

Sorry, but only NES can barely compare with any PlayStation console.

And comparing COMPANY like NIntendo and brand like PlayStation? More than fair.

Tell me the name of 1 nintendo console who sold 100 million? NO, tell me name of the nintendo console who sold 90 million? NO, tell me nintendo console who sold 80 million? NO, tell me... ah screw this i can go like this for ever.

Even if nintendo win this generation ( probably will ) its still:

PlayStation 2: Nintendo 1.

So YES, PlayStation IS the strongest name in video games. The only thing Nntendo have is Mario. Wii sports probably wouldn't sell above 20 million if they weren't bundled in EU and USA

I wonder how many replays i am gonna get from nintendo fanboys now...

I noticed that you missed (or conveniently left out) the GBA, which sold about 80M, which makes your Nintendo number up to 330 million.

So it takes nintendo 5 products to compete with Sony's 4 products.  Your are making the OP's point for him.

^ LOL, good point xD

• 2010 MUST Haves: WKC, Heavy Rain, GoWIII, Fable III, Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders, FFXIII, Alan Wake, No More Heroes 2, Fragile Dreams: FRotM, Trinity: SoZ, BFBC2.
  • Older Need To Buys: Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart Wii, Deadspace, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2.

There is definitely more to list that I want, but that's my main focus there.

ssj12 said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
PlayStation can't be the strongest brand name considering that Nintendo is.

see my reason above, its the main reason.

if Nintendo won the last two generations they would have the stronger brand name. Sadly, Nintendo never had a strong brand name. SEGA had an equally strong name before the PS1 came to market. After this generation Nintendo will finally truly have the strongest brand name. They just need to expand the market like the PS2 did.

You might want to ask someone who's been around those years, as you came into the world in 87-88 =) Nintendo by far dominated the market in popularity by the era of the SNES, when you were about 5 years old. By the tikme of the PS1, everything was attributed to Nintendo. It wasnt until the PS2 that people started using the Playstation name as the reference point for gaming. The popular opinion for Sony systems didnt occur until the mid/late 90s. Yet I can see from your perspective, thinking that its always been that way, as you were too young to recall the early days of console wars. =)