By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why the PlayStation brand name is the strongest brand name in video games

Alterego-X said:

Poggy-Green said:

It did pass me by that the Wii brand name is getting as big as PlayStation's too. 

overall i still think the playstation brand name is #1, with wii in a close second, i would then put nintendo third, xbox next, and then so and so on.

thanks to everyone for getting their opinion and comments out there, mature or immature, doesn't matter.

and to the people who didnt troll and act stupid, thanks!

The problem is, that you basd all of your opinion on sales, that is misleading, because while technically the Wii is only "presumably going to be #1", it is the most popular brand at the moment, and that is the only thing that matters, not the number of won generations or sold consoles in the past. 

People are easily manipulated. In the Atari era, everyone considered Atari THE game company. Now it is remembered as a failed brand. Later, everyone believed that the future of console gaming will be a series of NES versions, to rule gaming. In the PS2 era, I even read an article about the technology of future that referred to the future as "around the PS5 era" or we will have virtual reality in the ps8 era". It was that obvious that PS will rule forever. 

Now, most people are convinced that Nintendo will make a "Wii 2" for the casuals, and the PS4 will have holo-discs and it will be expensive. 

So, I think, there is no other brand recognition, than CURRENT brand recognition. Everything else is gone, forgotten. 

http://www.google.com/trends?q=Nintendo,+Playstation,+Wii,&ctab=0&geo=all&date=2008&sort=1

This is the first real post that actually gets it right.

Playstation is a has been, just like Atari, and just like Nintendo in the past. Nintendo managed to reclaim the lead in brand recognition.

Back when I was a kid, we called playing video games "playing Nintendo" and it didn't matter what console it was on. The next generation grew up on playstation devices, and they said "playing Playstation" even if they were playing a GC game. Back when the Wii first came out, people would ask for the New Playstation console that had motion control and the 5 sports. They weren't talking about the PS3 though.

The now recognizable name is Nintendo once again, and will continue to be for the next 5 years or so until a new victor appears.

Your opinion doesn't matter in this case, as you are one person, where as millions of people know Nintendo, and playstation has been forgotten.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network
Alterego-X said:

So, I think, there is no other brand recognition, than CURRENT brand recognition. Everything else is gone, forgotten. 

http://www.google.com/trends?q=Nintendo,+Playstation,+Wii,&ctab=0&geo=all&date=2008&sort=1

Wow, if you extend that graph out to "all years", it really tells an interesting story.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

mesoteto said:

@zones--joke post right

crash did not and in fact if you held up a pic of him next to a pic of Mario (who is nintendo for the world) guess who would be better known?

and the only reason i pick those two is b/c they seem to be the most talked about and are the bigger names right now

i guess i could use some orange eyed solider for one but ehh---unless you go into game shops and such you wont be able to rec him

and i cant really use Solid Snake b/c he got his start on a nintendo machine

It appears that you have only read the last line of my post, because I see no mention of the first part, but whatever...

And yes, I believe you're right, Mario would be more known in that example of yours, but guess why? More than half of Nintendo's first party games had a "Mario" slapped on, while there were only 4 Crash games on the whole 5th generation of gaming. And the fact that Mario name have been milked for +10 previous years at that time.

But if you compare all 4 Crash Bandicoot games (PSX) to any 4 Mario games (on N64), you would see which would have a higher number. Crash Bandicoot was just about to destroy Mario as the best known mascot, but thank God Sony dropped the name, because regardless of how much I loved the Crash Bandicoot series, I didn't want to live with only a few characters in every game.

^grasing at atraws now

it does not matter if he had a few better games b/c on teh flip side i could pull mario games that would destroy those in quality and sales

but that "milking" as you call it Is the perfect example of why people know Nintendo and their games

They know those things b/c its what they grew up with it what their kids will grow up with and its what the grandkids will grow up with

It was genius of Nintendo to find a mascot and keep him going

I don’t understand why your so against that

nordlead said:

Playstation is a has been, just like Atari, and just like Nintendo in the past. Nintendo managed to reclaim the lead in brand recognition.

Back when I was a kid, we called playing video games "playing Nintendo" and it didn't matter what console it was on. The next generation grew up on playstation devices, and they said "playing Playstation" even if they were playing a GC game. Back when the Wii first came out, people would ask for the New Playstation console that had motion control and the 5 sports. They weren't talking about the PS3 though.

The now recognizable name is Nintendo once again, and will continue to be for the next 5 years or so until a new victor appears.

Your opinion doesn't matter in this case, as you are one person, where as millions of people know Nintendo, and playstation has been forgotten.

What I find funny is that you (Alongside seece, and mesoteto) are talking about Nintendo Vs. PlayStation, which is unfair, becasue you can't compare a brandname with a whole company.

However, you can indeed compare Sony Vs. Nintendo, and you know which one is a better known company.

Around the Network
Zones said:

It appears that you have only read the last line of my post, because I see no mention of the first part, but whatever...

And yes, I believe you're right, Mario would be more known in that example of yours, but guess why? More than half of Nintendo's first party games had a "Mario" slapped on, while there were only 4 Crash games on the whole 5th generation of gaming. And the fact that Mario name have been milked for +10 previous years at that time.

But if you compare all 4 Crash Bandicoot games (PSX) to any 4 Mario games (on N64), you would see which would have a higher number. Crash Bandicoot was just about to destroy Mario as the best known mascot, but thank God Sony dropped the name, because regardless of how much I loved the Crash Bandicoot series, I didn't want to live with only a few characters in every game.

Actually, there were 5 Crash games on PS1, but if you are counting PSX as the PS1 & PS2, then I think you mean these games

Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot 2
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex
Total = 26.45M

However, restricting Mario to 1 console, while having Crash on 2 is unfair, so I'll pick the 4 games with mario in the title I want.

Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Mario Kart Double Dash
Super Mario Sunshine
Total = 35.00M

so you haven't exactly made a fair comparison since Mario blows crash away.

If we stick to 1 generation only, then it is much closer with Crash getting a slight edge.

PS1 top 4 crash games = 26.31
N64 top 4 Mario games = 26.96

oh wait... Mario beat Crash again

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy

Zones said:

What I find funny is that you (Alongside seece, and mesoteto) are talking about Nintendo Vs. PlayStation, which is unfair, becasue you can't compare a brandname with a whole company.

However, you can indeed compare Sony Vs. Nintendo, and you know which one is a better known company.

Nintendo = gaming

Playstation = gaming

Sony = a whole bunch of stuff, mostly consumer electronics (TV's, Cameras, DVD players)

which is the fair comparison?

Despite all the mumbo jumbo people are spouting about why this console is stronger than that one.

Nintendo, everyone knows what Nintendo is.

Playstation, everyone now knows what Playstation is.

Xbox, still establishing, but people know it.

I can bet you that if I walked down the street and ask to let's say 30 people "Which would you buy: Nintendo?, Playstation? or an Xbox?" and I would bet the majority would say either Nintendo or Playstation.

Nintendo and Playstation are both equally strong brands, I believe that their both strong in their own way.

Sony came out and won 2 generations, you can't tell me that Playstation won't be a future brand just like Nintendo is now.

Nintendo+Playstation > Xbox at the moment, but that doesn't mean it won't change.  Xbox just hasn't been well established yet.  It's no where near as strong as Nin or Play right now.

(now I'm going to get flamed, but oh wells).

*~*Edited*~*

• 2010 MUST Haves: WKC, Heavy Rain, GoWIII, Fable III, Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders, FFXIII, Alan Wake, No More Heroes 2, Fragile Dreams: FRotM, Trinity: SoZ, BFBC2.
  • Older Need To Buys: Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart Wii, Deadspace, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2.

There is definitely more to list that I want, but that's my main focus there.

izaaz101 said:
BladeOfGod said:
N64 + GameCube+ DS+Wii= around 250 million units sold

PS1+PS2+PSP+PS3= around 321 million sold.

So, Nintendo got its ass kicked since PlayStation was launched

Sorry, but only NES can barely compare with any PlayStation console.

And comparing COMPANY like NIntendo and brand like PlayStation? More than fair.

Tell me the name of 1 nintendo console who sold 100 million? NO, tell me name of the nintendo console who sold 90 million? NO, tell me nintendo console who sold 80 million? NO, tell me... ah screw this i can go like this for ever.

Even if nintendo win this generation ( probably will ) its still:

PlayStation 2: Nintendo 1.

So YES, PlayStation IS the strongest name in video games. The only thing Nntendo have is Mario. Wii sports probably wouldn't sell above 20 million if they weren't bundled in EU and USA

I wonder how many replays i am gonna get from nintendo fanboys now...

I noticed that you missed (or conveniently left out) the GBA, which sold about 80M, which makes your Nintendo number up to 330 million.

Damn mate.. I had this in my head and you beat me to it :d. I wonder if we can still get a reply from blade...

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

nordlead said:
Zones said:

Nintendo = gaming

Playstation = gaming

Sony = a whole bunch of stuff, mostly consumer electronics (TV's, Cameras, DVD players)

which is the fair comparison?

Nintendo = Company (Games, Pokemon anime, Cards)

Sony = Company (You know it)

PlayStation(s) = Videogame System(s)

GB, DS, Wii, GC = Videogame Systems

This is fact, not an opinion. So comparison can only be made only between those comparable, not how you define them.