By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why the PlayStation brand name is the strongest brand name in video games

Rei said:
I think Playstation is a stronger brand name than Nintendo or Wii.

I agree... it carries much more weight around people. Especially the public.

Check out my game about moles ^

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
I mean, I thought I wouldn't have to state the obvious, but to clarify, when I talk to gamers on the street, online etc.... Playstation is a more commonly used name. This is all opinionated in the first place. Why people choose to get up tight about that is beyond me. Personal tastes/likes =/= any facts. It's my opinion Playstation is the bigger name based on observation. All the while, Nintendo is going to end up changing it back by the time this gen is done.

As I said, just my observation....

See.. that's your problem.. you have to think bigger...

Playstation is a stronger brand name with male, 16-32 years old, and gamers...
Nintendo is way bigger with Male, Female 4-60 years old, and everyone....

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Didn't bother reading beyond "future proof".

You really need to drop that marketing BS.

I'd have to disagree with the point about original Xbox being considered a success as it lost a lot of money for Microsoft. I don't consider it a success by any means. The PS3 may be somewhat more successful, but I'd say it's not doing much good for the PS brand, if not hurting it.

For the time being I'd say it's the strongest brand, but give it two years and the strongest brand will be Wii. A lot of it has to do with what kids grow up with, and a lot of kids have Wiis.

"Now, a fun game should always be easy to understand - you should be able to take one look at it and know what you have to do straight away. It should be so well constructed that you can tell at a glance what your goal is and, even if you don’t succeed, you’ll blame yourself rather than the game. Moreover, the people standing around watching the game have also got to be able to enjoy it." - Shiggy

A Koopa's Revenge II gameplay video

Dgc1808 said:
My mom calls my DS a playstation...

my old man calls my PSP a Nintendo. So I guess it balances again.

Around the Network

Nintendo has the biggest brand with console and handheld gaming and mario is the face of gaming

..........seriously this isnt up for discussion.........

EDIT: Also sony traded their brand power so that blu-ray could jumpstart.

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

Well it used to be last generation without a doubt. Not anymore, Playstation brand has suffered a lot because of the decisions made by Sony during the launch of this gen. Now especially in the Western World Nintendo and Xbox brands are bigger.

I'm fine with Playstation being Nike as long as Nintendo is Adidas...

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

CGI-Quality said:
I mean, I thought I wouldn't have to state the obvious, but to clarify, when I talk to gamers on the street, online etc.... Playstation is a more commonly used name. This is all opinionated in the first place. Why people choose to get up tight about that is beyond me. Personal tastes/likes =/= any facts. It's my opinion Playstation is the bigger name based on observation. All the while, Nintendo is going to end up changing it back by the time this gen is done.

As I said, just my observation....

So basically if I group myself around a bunch of Sega fans, and they all refer to their consoles as Sega's, my little piece of anecdotal evidence suggests that Sega is the strongest brand name in gaming? It's not that Playstation cannot possibly be a bigger brand name, it's that not a single person in this argument has created a compelling argument stating why. Look at the reasoning behind the Wii. There are facts to back up the reasoning. The reasoning behind Playstation is "Well my friends and some people I know always say Playstation to mean consoles so I say Playstation is strong based on me extrapolating that data of 10 people to mean the entire world". Yeah sure it's all opinion, but there's still the matter of attempting to anchor it with some sound reasoning, and not hollow arguments consisting of PS3 fans conducting unofficial surveys amongst their friends and family.

You want to know why people around you say "Playstation" to mean everything? It's because that's what you built yourselves around. Every single person in this thread proclaiming Playstation as the top brand name is a big time PS3 fan. Judging by your histories, it's frankly no surprise at all you would say what you said. It's pretty easy to think the next few names that will agree with the OP judging by post history.

The worst part is, most of you simply want to ignore strong evidence to the contrary that another brand might be stronger by basically sticking your fingers in your ears and pretending like it's not happening. Here are some facts. The "Wii" is the fastest selling console in history at the moment. "Wii" Sports is the largest selling game in history. "Wii" Sports, along with "Wii" Fit, "Wii" Play, and Mario Kart "Wii" are the four top selling games on the "Wii". Do you find that to be coincidental, or is it good brand recognition attaching software to hardware in that way? It should be noted also that those four games are the top four selling console games of this gen, even when you combine the sales of multiplatform releases on 360 and PS3, and soon they all will pass the few titles the DS has that outrank them slightly.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

NiKKoM said:
Nope.. Nintendo is a way stronger brand now... not only because of the Wii.. more because of the DS...
how else did it shoot up into place 40? http://www.interbrand.com/best_global_brands.aspx?langid=1000 ... the force is strong with Nintendo.. playstation brand is reconised in a smaller segment of people then Nintendo...

How dare you bring in actual data!

Seriously why are people still argueing this?