By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why Are First-Party Sony Video Games Unpopular? ~ BITTER Truth or LIE?!

colonelstubbs said:
No adverts! People need to see these games!

And Darth, this is crazy, how many threads today lol

Around the Network

Umm what first party games came out for the Ps3 since it came out? Seriously, the only two that i know of is Killzone 2 and Uncharted.

Well as to why Sony first party games arent popular is probably what had already been written in the article, no legacy whatsoever and the fact that Sony didn't have anything in the beginning and had to rely on third parties which created the best games for the ps1 and ps2.

It's exactly the oppisite for Nintendo which, as a company, has put much effort on its part to make their franchises legendary.After 20 years on the market almost every gamer knows Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox Mario Kart, Donkey Kong and Mario bros. But after 10 years of Sony being on the market i really can't name any of their 1st party franchises except for the afore mentioned two o.O

If i lose access to this profile as well....I'm done with this site.....You've been warned!!.....whoever you are...

Happy Wii60 user. Me and my family are a perfect example of where hardcore meets casual and together mutate into something awesome.

In truth, Sony doesn't know how to make blockbusters any more...least not like Microsoft and they haven't made any evergreen titles like Nintendo.

It's not the marketing, there's just nothing all that compelling about these games that will make people flock to them.

They seem to be good at filler titles that do a million with a bundle, which is fine if you're just broadening the library, but they're not blockbuster material and you can't fool people that they are.

yanamaster said:
Umm what first party games came out for the Ps3 since it came out? Seriously, the only two that i know of is Killzone 2 and Uncharted.

Well as to why Sony first party games arent popular is probably what had already been written in the article, no legacy whatsoever and the fact that Sony didn't have anything in the beginning and had to rely on third parties which created the best games for the ps1 and ps2.

It's exactly the oppisite for Nintendo which, as a company, has put much effort on its part to make their franchises legendary.After 20 years on the market almost every gamer knows Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox Mario Kart, Donkey Kong and Mario bros. But after 10 years of Sony being on the market i really can't name any of their 1st party franchises except for the afore mentioned two o.O

Warhawk, Uncharted: Drakes Fortune. MLB 07 08 09 The Show, NBA 07 08 09, Untold Legends, Forumula 1 Championship edition, Motorstorm 1 and 2, Singstar, Killzone 2, Hot Shots Golf 5, Eye of Judgement, Siren Blood Curse, Wipeout HD, Gran Turismo 5 prologue, Resistance 1 and 2, Ratchet&Clank FTOD, Socom Confrontation, Little Big Planet, Heavenly Sword, Genji, Folklore, Buzz Quiz tv, White Knight Chronicles, and (Infamous soon and much more in the next year)

these are all Sony owned Ip's released on the PS3

ohh god.

Those big seller of the past happened on a much bigger user base.

Around the Network
blackstar said:

I've always said that and I agree

this post explains it better.

I agree with that to some extent. There are certain franchises that should be brought back for every generation. This would deffinitly help build up recognition. At the same time, though, there is nothing quite like getting a brand new IP from a studio you know can make games. Naughty Dog tried something completely new for PS3 and it has turned into one of my favorite games of the generation.

Darth as for the article I'm going to have to say its LIE. The only part that actually applies is the Lack of Legacy section. The sales of Halo and all of Nintendo's first party games pretty much shows this.

Reliance on Third-Party

Sony did not always have the biggest first-party development core in the industry. They have to assemble them from the ground up. So during the early days of the Playstation and Playstation 2, they needed to rely on third-party publishers and developers. As a result, non-Sony games like Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid managed to define the Playstation brand. Games made and published by Sony had to take a back seat until recently with the PSP and Playstation 3.

I would probably point to this as the biggest factor. Most of the games that propeled the Playstation and PS2 to success were not made by Sony themselves; people bought Sony's console because it had "everything" on it, thanks to all of the third parties. In an environment where Sony doesn't have exclusive control over Final Fantasy, Grand Theft Auto, Resident Evil, etc. the PS3 is naturally going to struggle to move hardware... which in turn means lower first-party exclusive software sales. It's a bit of a vicious cycle.

This isn't a knock on Sony's development studios either, as they've turned out some very high quality games already for the PS3. But for whatever reason, Sony is still looking for that breakout hit that becomes a true "must-have" game. The lack of a Wii Sports/Gears of War type popular new franchise has definitely hurt them. It's not a good sign when rather generic launch games (Motorstorm/Resistance) are still your top-selling first-party exclusives.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)