By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gaming gems of yesterday

THE OREGON TRAIL

You Spoony Bard!

Around the Network

Haven't really lived long enough to remember really old gems =P, but from when I first started gaming:

PC-Age of Empires I & II
-Ski, man that game rocked =)

N64-Mario Cart
GBC-Original Pokemon games

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

Earthbound, Deja Vu, Populus, the original Doom ...

Great topic, BTW. I'm going to have to try to go back and play some of these that I missed the first time around.

rocketpig said:
Good call on Shadowrun. I remember that game, good stuff.

The Genesis had loads of great games that no one talks about anymore. They had a D&D game I loved (can't remember the name), Eternal Champions, Captain America, and a few others. I'm a bit intoxicated now but this thread has reminded me that I need to go look up some of the games I used to play.

think your talking about d&d warriors of the eternal sun, probably

anway eternal champions is okay, but eternal champions cd is truely great,

some good stuff that is less well known

the real shining force games , not those ps2 craptastrifies are absolutely fantastic,

some greats on less known and successful systems

Iron Soldier, Tempest 2k, Missile Command 3d, Rayman, and ALien vs Predator are actually good original jaguar games

chips challenge for the lynx is also great

people also need to try to find classic arcades near them, anyone that can get to the funspot in new hampshire should make their way their sometime, tokens can be had for as little as 12 cents each

you haven't played after burner, space harrier, thunder blade, or outrun until you've played it in the real sit down cabinet seriously they must be played in thier proper form to be fully enjoyed, hydraulics in them are just too sweet

plus they've got loads of original vector games, star wars arcade is meant to be played in the arcade

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kings Quest, good call Twestern
Looney Toons basketball for the SNES that game was awesome.

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.

Around the Network

PS1:
Einhander (a SHMUP with original weapon systems and great music)
Bushido Blade (a fighting game with some of the most realistic combat to grace the genre)
(both made by Squaresoft about 9 years ago)

Sega CD:
Lunar: The Silver Star
Ecco the Dolphin

Sega Genesis:
Vectorman

NES:

Apple II:
The Oregon Trail
(MECC made a lot of really good and educational games, and this was the best of the lot! Better than its own sequels, this game is a true classic that is still fun to play -- even when half your family dies of dysentery.)

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

scotland yard said:
Earthbound, Deja Vu, Populus, the original Doom ...

Great topic, BTW. I'm going to have to try to go back and play some of these that I missed the first time around.

Thanks for the compliment

PC:
Empire
Elite
Any wargames dialer.

Oops for before.

masschamber said

"people also need to try to find classic arcades near them, anyone that can get to the funspot in new hampshire should make their way their sometime, tokens can be had for as little as 12 cents each

you haven't played after burner, space harrier, thunder blade, or outrun until you've played it in the real sit down cabinet seriously they must be played in thier proper form to be fully enjoyed, hydraulics in them are just too sweet"

I had not thought to mention arcades at all. After Burner was fun, and a dollar a game!!! Wallet drainer. I had two friends growing up who found $1,000. They did not want to turn it in (this was wrong of them) and knew if they spent the money there parents would ask, "where did you get that?" So they blew the whole thousand in one day at the mall. They gave money away to friends they saw, and played arcades. My friend Andy sat in After Burner with $100 in quarters and played till the $100 was gone.

True story. The only thing either of them bought was a small tape recorder (like the ones for recording college lectures) and The Legend of Zelda. I was not with them to cash in that day, but did end up with Zelda as I was the only one with a Nintendo.

Got side tracked, sorry.

Other neat arcades: Dragon's Lair I and II (only ever saw part two at one arcade growing up, and have never seen it since.)