By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGChartz 360 Gamerscore League

themanwithnoname said:
@JPL Funny you should say that about Conviction, because I hated the third echelon mission, which was clearly a throwback to the old Splinter Cells. I'm sick of going into rooms dodging lasers, and sick of the "if you're detected, mission over" mentality the older games had, but to each their own, I guess.

The thing I hated about the lasers was the depth perception.  I failed it about 5 times going between the three lasers at waste height.   Then, I turned off the goggles and watched the lights on the wall instead...  It worked way better and didn't have the screwy depth perception problem.

Around the Network

@themanwithnoname, but you find very few missions actually used that because early on they realized it wasn't going to appeal to most players. In reality the 3 alarm mission fail was used more but still not that much. And of course lets not forget about the thou shall not kill stages.

But it was stealthy, that's what it was supposed to be. More dangerous for killing you was the brutal guards meant to kill you if they spotted you. You weren't supposed to take out entire squads at once. My favorite is going through on the hardest difficulty with hardly no ammo what so ever and if you are seen you will die. So I guess to each their own but perhaps I may suggest that Ubisoft could have pegged Conviction as a side game, or side genre version of splinter cell. That way actual splinter cell games could be focused on stealth and another brand could be the sort of jason bourne offshoot type of gameplay found in conviction. But when you are playing last stand and tearing through waves and waves of dozens of guards, explosions grenades and mines, scoped machine guns, etc. etc. It feels more like it wants to be gears of war.

But lets not forget everything Ubisoft took out of their franchise.

Complicated sound schemes where the A.I. would hear you depending on several factors, speed of movement, surface you are moving on and ambient noise (generators or lightening) all effected wheter or not you were audible. In the new game NONE of that matters. If they see you they see you, but they don't seem to even hear you unless you run right up behind them.

To take down the guards or anyone else with melee you had to be behind them. Why? I don't know but it makes for better strategy and stealth instead of being able to just run up and tap a button over and over to kill everyone.

Before Conviction the gadgets where better. Now they all just explode or flash, most explode and you get enough to throw them out constantly running through a stage exploding everyone. Before that you had air foils and better sticky cameras, taser darts and an occasional few grenades. Overall we see, better stealth based gadgets before. If you want gears of war, conviction has better boom toys.

No hacking, lock picking or computer interfaces of any kind. Picking a lock made you feel like you accomplished something, especially under threat of detection. Now you just bash the door in, Hi, I'm Rambo Fisher. Also no fake emails to read now, no interaction that way or back story.

Enemy pacing was better. Conviction felt more like Arkham Asylum were waves on enemies would just come walking up as you reached new areas of the game. Aside from pack mentality and some random walking paths they are dumb as hell on purpose so you can slaughter them by the dozens. In the older games enemies can always own you, its not your place to fight through them bullet time style, or by over use of extreme force and explosions.

There is, in general, just more style in the older games. More uses of creative shadows that the series was built on with gorgeous graphics and lighting. In conviction you get a shitty sonar that distorts terribly whenever you move. No night vision and instead everything goes black and white, completely draining all of the life out of the graphics.

Multiplayer in Conviction is boring and limited outside of the campaign. Spys versus Mercs is still fun, exciting and challenging almost 3 years later.

Yeah I'll shut up. I know you obviously like Conviction. I'm just saying, lets call it something else Ubisoft, and keep the Splinter Cell series aimed at the actual fans of the series. Not people who want a quick action romp.

@Neo, sands of time had much better combat and platforming, that much is true. I just don't know why no days everything needs a reboot every 5 years. I don't know why games need dumbing down or fundamental changes to the play control schemes that have defined those same games.

Grrr, I was so close to knocking you off Road Fighter. I was up to 60,000, got almost through the third stage. I ran out of time before the challenge ended!

Alan Wake is already a partial tournament and it hasn't released in North America yet!

Hope Alan Wake does well, really deserves it!

Woo Hoo, gamefly sent Alan Wake and Prince of Persia out today!

I was going to go for RDR but decided not to because it was probably in such high demand it might mess up my chances of getting two new releases at the same time.

Hey NeoRatt, I scored 130,000 something in Road Fighter. This week after the new games come out I'm going to set up a big batch of challenges involving new and older games. I hope you and Ronster will both join me in competition. I need 11 more wins for the achievement. Aside from gamerscore, I've been having a blast competing with you guys in the Game Room.

Around the Network

Red Dead should be a great Tourny!

I got 770gs already this week and it's just Monday. I'm on track to have my best GS week ever............and Neoratt is going to be offline. I bet I don't score another achievement between now and the time the league gets updated. :(

You are a gaming god to me! How dare Neo vacation! I'm thinking Red Dead as my second this month. 92 meta for an open-world western by Rockstar. Tough to resist. There are still no reviews whatsoever for PoP:Forgotten Sands. Something's rotten methinks. I gotta Wake early so buh bye.

d21lewis said:
I got 770gs already this week and it's just Monday. I'm on track to have my best GS week ever............and Neoratt is going to be offline. I bet I don't score another achievement between now and the time the league gets updated. :(

I will be pulling the numbers Thursday night as per usual.  I just won't be able to organize an update as I will be camping in a remote area that does not give me high speed internet access.  Which is essential for an update.  The numbers that I post on the 25th will be as if the update was Thursday.

d21lewis said:

I have around 1200gs this week (thanks, The Force Unleashed!).  I'm going to try to add another 800 between RDR, Alan Wake and the new PoP.  I think my personal best for a single week was around 1500gs.