By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Anti-Migrant Hostility Rising in the UK

Migrants 'face growing hostility'

Trevor Phillips has called for better training for British workers

Migrants will face growing "hostility" as unemployment rises, equalities watchdog Trevor Phillips has warned.

British-born workers will increasingly feel "edged out" by immigrants with more advanced skills, he said.

The government has announced a £70m fund to help calm tensions in local communities paid for by a £50 levy on visas of people from outside the EU.

But critics say the cash will not have much effect and also warn that the move could stir anti-immigrant sentiments.

Mr Phillips, chairman of the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC), said the government should concentrate on helping workers get new skills to help them compete with those from abroad.

British workers at the Lindsey Oil refinery, who staged strikes over the use of EU workers, were, "put simply, not productive or competitive enough", he added.

'Significant benefits'

Speaking at an EHRC conference in London, he said the solution was not to "clamp down" on immigration but to "begin the process of retraining and upskilling in order to ensure that if people are out of work it is for as little time as possible".

The most likely effect on local communities is not that the immigrants will aggravate the impact of the recession for British-born workers, but that the economic downturn will fuel tensions
Migration Policy Institute

The government says it will spend £70m over the next two years in England on projects aimed at easing pressure on local communities.

The Migration Impacts Fund will pay for extra English language lessons to cut translation costs and "help migrants get on in work and integrate in their communities" under a scheme to be rolled out next September.

It could also be used for extra teachers in schools in areas with high migrant populations and "targeted help" for police.

Communities Secretary Hazel Blears said migration "brings significant benefits to this country" but an "honest discussion" was needed on its impact.

She told the immigration conference she thought migration in to Britain "probably will reduce" in the future.

She said: "I think it will go down but I don't think it's going to disappear tomorrow."

'Underlying drivers'

But a report by the Migration Policy Institute think tank and the EHRC said higher unemployment would not make a big impact on the number of foreign nationals settling in the UK.

It was "highly likely" that the influx of workers from Poland and other East European countries had reached its peak.

But those who arrived in the UK during during the boom years were unlikely to return home because of the recession, it said.

Source countries were also in economic trouble and family and social ties were often a bigger factor in decisions to stay than jobs, it argued.

The Migration Policy Institute also predicted that the number of foreign nationals coming to Britain would "pick up" again when the economy begins to recover.

Its report, by researchers Will Somerville and Madeleine Sumption, found that migration flows were only "partially sensitive to economic conditions".

It said: "In the long run, the underlying drivers of migration... will remain strong, suggesting that migration flows will pick up again during the economic recovery."

'Deep recession'

The report said there was little evidence migrants had taken jobs from British workers or depressed wages but they could still face increasing resentment from British-born workers.

"The most likely effect on local communities is not that the immigrants will aggravate the impact of the recession for British-born workers, but that the economic downturn will fuel tensions, as workers feel less secure economically.

"Immigrants themselves may undergo substantial hardship. Higher unemployment among immigrants is likely to hinder their successful integration."

The government has banned unskilled migrants from outside the EU but the report said there might be a case for a further tightening of entry restrictions on skilled and highly skilled workers under the new points-based system.

It also said the "highly skilled migrant population is unlikely to change dramatically" in the long run, unless there was "a very long and deep recession".

And it warned against excluding too many skilled migrants, arguing that the government's shortage occupation list "simply cannot respond quickly to rapidly changing economic circumstances" and that "strong cutbacks could damage recovery prospects".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7953764.stm

so not only are ignorant members of the public getting hostile, so is the UK government, pathetic if you ask me, immigration has been good for the UK, most of them do jobs that people here dont want to do

Around the Network

ugh, I hate this anti-immigrant culture the daily mail has fostered in this country, it makes no sense. Today the daily expresses headline was horrible, in some countries I think it would be illegal (basically it was kick immigrants out).

They always argue that they take our jobs and scrounge off the government, unwilling to accept that Britains 8% immigrant population account for 10% of its GDP. Kinda blows holes in their theories.

I hate the daily mail so much, that paper defies logic.

highwaystar101 said:
ugh, I hate this anti-immigrant culture the daily mail has fostered in this country, it makes no sense. Today the daily expresses headline was horrible, in some countries I think it would be illegal (basically it was kick immigrants out).

They always argue that they take our jobs and scrounge off the government, unwilling to accept that Britains 8% immigrant population account for 10% of its GDP. Kinda blows holes in their theories.

I hate the daily mail so much, that paper defies logic.

i know, the government dont help the problem though, the main parties compete to be tougher on migrants to pander to the right wing media

Lower wage workers are annoyed by immigrants?
A shift in the ethnic makeup of a population is causing unrest?

Who could've seen this coming? O_o

Parokki said:
Lower wage workers are annoyed by immigrants?
A shift in the ethnic makeup of a population is causing unrest?

Who could've seen this coming? O_o

My god, it's like Germany on the 2nd of August 1932 all over again.

Around the Network

People pissed off because an immigrant works harder for less money than them? Instead of sitting down and whinging, work harder for less money, fucker.

The reality is the population is getting bigger but the world isn't. We all need to learn to get along.

SamuelRSmith said:
People pissed off because an immigrant works harder for less money than them? Instead of sitting down and whinging, work harder for less money, fucker.

That's a pretty twisted view.

GamingChartzFTW said:
SamuelRSmith said:

That's a pretty twisted view.

Why? It's simple competition. Say you have a backery you always go to for your bread. Then one day opposite of the backery another backery sets up shop. Same bread, same friendlyness only half the price...would you still go to the same breadmaker? I'd doubt it. The jobmarket works the same way.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

Well duh. Its always the person with the different color skin's fault.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson