By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official February 2009 NPD Thread

TowlieFTW said:

I lol'd

sad but true

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:
I'm glad to see that Street Fighter IV was such a hit, and I'm really surprised to see the 360 and PS3 versions so close in sales. Pretty good month for all consoles, and the HD consoles both have something to brag about. I'm happy to see that.

yeh good sales for all consoles and i really didnt expect to say that about ps3. i just thought sales would get lower and lower and it even had good software in america for once.

dolemit3 said:
I see no reason for Sony to make a price cut. The PS3 is selling consistently well now.

With PS3 only marginally down YoY (281k Vs 276k) I really can't see SCEA cutting the price yet as rumours have been suggesting. I'm sure they're pretty happy with the sales at the current price.

X360 sees a massive YoY increase from 255k to 391k. I'm sure they're more than happy with the effects of their price cut have had.

nojustno said:
TowlieFTW said:

I lol'd

sad but true

Jup... we need a new game on the blackboard. I'd say it should either be GoW3 or FF13.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

PS3 doesn't need saving.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

@BKK2

Would you kindly show us the YoY comparisons between the other handhelds and consoles? I'm mighty interested.

Esmoreit said:
nojustno said:
TowlieFTW said:

I lol'd

sad but true

Jup... we need a new game on the blackboard. I'd say it should either be GoW3 or FF13.

Those won't save it either, only GT5 will. But hey, at least we know it's actually going to happen with this one.

Pretty much has to.

Great sales for all consoles. I'm really surprised by the huge Xbox 360 and PS3 numbers. I'm also glad to see SF4 was under-tracked.

Where the hell is my Star Ocean?

Not a 360 fanboy, just a PS3 fanboy hater that likes putting them in their place ^.^

February 2008 NPD

Hardware

PlayStation 2
PlayStation 3 280.8K
PlayStation Portable 243.1K
Xbox 360 254.6K
Nintendo DS 587.6K
Wii 432K

February 2009 NPD

Hardware

PlayStation 2 131K
PlayStation 3 276K
PSP 199K
Xbox 360 391K
Wii 753K
Nintendo DS 588K

PS2 = -220.8k*

PS3 = - 4.8k

PSP = -44.1k

360 = +136.4k

Nintendo DS = +.4k

Wii = +321k

*PS2 had $99 pricetag at Target for February 2008.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

I for one am not surprised how close the SFIV versions are. Of the 40 or so friends from the forum I mod at who have both systems it was split 50/50 for SFIV as the PS3's D-pad is better. Usually its more 70-30 in the 360 favor. The 360 buyers already had Arcade sticks for the 360. Listening to many video game podcasts it was pretty split for the same reason