By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: PS3 price drop coming march 22

"EB Games employee"

Stopped reading there. Hell, just the other day my boss was like "Did you hear? They just announced the date for the price drop! April xx!" I can't remember the specific day in April, but I was like... where'd you hear that?

Around the Network
MagicalJoker said:
Naraku_Diabolos said:
hatmoza 2.0 said:
V-r0cK said:
Im not suprised if a PS3 price drop is coming soon. There's been alot of free stuff giving away with a purchase of a PS3 worth over hundreds of dollars, and usually thats to compensate that there'll be having a price drop eventually.

NOW i feel cheated !! not only am i NOT going to enjoy a price drop , but they are giving away FREE shii!!

tis true that true gamers suffer the most.

I believe Sony gave out free Sony Bravia HDTVs (I THINK they did, I read it back in 2007) with the purchase of a PS3 to spur sales in the UK.

This sounds nice... But it was the other way around... With a Bravia HDTV you got a free PS3 :) But i believe this was a deal in Australia and not the UK

Unless you mean a one time action. With the release of the PS3, the first ones to buy it at the Virgin megastore got a free Sony 46" HDTV with it. Also they got a free cab ride home. This was for around 100 people who were waiting for the PS3 console to release

My mate has a PS3 and the only reason he got it is because his father in law bought a new telly and it came with a free ps3. This was the UK and the PS3 had been around for some time.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
WiiStation360 said:
SmokedHostage said:
It's too short notice, in my opinion.

Agreed.  There is no way they can drop the price in 1 week without people knowing about it already.

Most if not all pricedrops announcements are done on short notice.  Why?  Because if you do them too far in advance then people will stop buying them at the current price because they know they can get a better deal later.  The 360 pricedrop last september was officially announced about a week or 2 before it happened.  The PS3 pricedrop in 2007 was announced about 2-3 weeks before it happened.

Pricedrops have to happen on short notice for said reasons.  Don't want people not buying them at the old price because they know they can get it at a cheaper one.  It sounds cold and harsh but its better business that way.  Nintendo always likes to play off that by saying they don't like to drop price because it makes it a worse deal for the ones who bought it at the old one.  Of course that's just good PR on the scenario but can't avoid it.

So really the shorter the notice the better but can't be too short because then people won't know its happening.  So generally it's 2-3 weeks difference between announcement and actually pricedrop.

As for the rumor I don't like the source all that much so I'm not going to dig any further but it would really be nice.  I'm still looking to buy a PS3 and $300 is my early starting price so here's to hope.

@axumblade

I hear your arguments....but they appear to be Sony spin, imo.

1. You say Sony was leading in system sales for most of last year. That's true :)

But then you end the sentence by saying that MS made a huge comeback with the price cut. There was no huge comeback since MS was already leading by 7 milllion consoles. It's Sony which needed and needs a huge comeback since it is the one playing catch up and was only leading by a small margin for the year. That is why MS could overtake it in the 2 holiday months. Even if MS didnt make a price cut, its lead still would have been 6 million, at the least.

2. Ninja Gaiden was published by MS but Ninja Gaiden Sigma still came out for the PS3. So why would anyone think that it wouldnt happen again..ermm...fanboy stupidity? Hey, I never said delusional fanboyism was exclusive to Sony console owners ;)

3. And suppose ME2 is a timed exclusive?....it still makes MS one step ahead of Sony. Remember that in the last generation it was the other way around with the PS2 getting all the goodies first and that wasn't a good thing for the Xbox.

The reason I said what difference would a Sony price cut make is that since MS released their console a year earlier they have the upper hand in strategic countering of Sony's next move. Believe me, I'm not a Sony hater but I am disgusted with their handling of this console generation. They had no answer for the Wii at launch and didn't anticipate that MS would actually have a great gameplan (which ironically they adopted from Sony's last generation dominance)

Being in 2nd feels so much better than being in 3rd

If the new rumor for Target to Sell PS3 Bundle with Motorstorm & Resistance for $399 starting Mar 29th is true, this one is unlikely to be true. IMO, I think the Target rumor makes more business sense.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Around the Network
SlumsofOhio said:
Should I start digging Sony's grave now? Seriously, doing this when they are about to become profitable on Hardware would be the nail in the coffin.

i dont think some unknown guy should be telling sony how to go about their business.

chaospluto said:
I'm still happy with the $399 I paid for mine, I won't cry over a price drop. I will simply praise it and be happy for future PS3 owners =D

im also happy with the current price but a price cut would give massive sales to the ps3 and shut alot of people up!

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

I feel this is not going to happen. Too bad we won't find out until Sunday. When the major retailers release there ads. The earliest we'll find out is Friday when Gamestop releases their weekly ad.

I think the $100 dollars is going to be a tough pill to swallow. All MS price drops have been $50. Nintendo has yet to lower the price of the Wii.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

Seihyouken said:
Zomb1337 said:
Microsoft will follow suit @ E3 if the price drop affects sales a lot.

And then Sony will follow suit @ TGS and the cycle starts all over again only ending when Microsoft can't possibly go any lower at $99.99.

As far as I know, Sony is STILL LOSING MONEY FOR EVERY PS3 SOLD!  So at MOST, there will be a $100 price drop this whole year overall, and if Microsoft made a 360 available for $99.99, it would sell 2x as much, LITERALLY!

PREDICTIONS:
(Predicted on 5/31/11) END of 2011 Sales - Xbox 360 = 62M;  PS3 = 59M;  Wii = 97M