By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Who is the greatest person from your country?

Vetteman94 said:
TheSource said:

I am the greatest American

Sorry,  I have you second to Abraham Lincoln

No president who has a civil war on his hands is great. A great president would have avoided the war.

Here is an excerpt from Lincoln during the Lincoln Douglas debates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln-Douglas_debates_of_1858

“ I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people ... I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything. I do not understand that because I do not want a negro woman for a slave I must necessarily want her for a wife. My understanding is that I can just let her alone"

My greatest vote goes to Teddy Roosevelt.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Around the Network

If i go by general consensus, id have to say M.K Gandhi
But for me, personally, its Satyajit Ray, the greatest movie maker our country has ever seen

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach

Pointing out how a man who lived 150 years ago was a racist, and using it as an argument against him possibly being awesome is pretty much the same as shouting "HELP, I SUCK AT HISTORY". =P

I guess I'm going to be boring and nominate Carl Gustav Mannerheim as the awesomest Finn.

draik said:
heh, name five famous belgians ;)

Sorry, can't get further then Eddy Wally ;).

As for the Dutch... depend son the timing. At this moment Andre Rieu is the most famous musician we have ever had bigger then Tiesto.)

The Dutch consider our national father, Wilhelm of Orange to be the biggest.

But I think that across time it should either be Anthony van Leeuwenhoek (discovered the microscope) or whoever in the VoC invented the "company share". 

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

Probably William Henry Harrison.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

Hmm... Tough one. Almost all Norwegians who currently live are idiots (I'm not kidding - I don't know why, but almost all englishmen are more interesting to talk to.

But enough with insulting Norwegians (I can do that later).

I feel the answer is pretty obvious (heh... I starter with saying tough one. That's odd).

Fritjof Nansen.

No it's not because we was the first person to cross greenland on skies, or because of his arctic explorations.

A partial reason is that he ensured prince Carl of Denmark (later called King Haakon the 7th) to become king of Norway after the union (that's what it's called - but really, they owned us) when Sweden was dissolved. This prevented any fights for the throne, which would have had a pretty high chance of causing large problems.

More importantly, he made "Nansen passports". This was a way to get refugees and war prisoners back to their countries after WWI. He managed to get over 450,000 people back to their homes.

During the Russian Famine in 1921, over 5 million people died.  If it wasn't for Nansen, it could easily have been over 10 million. The russian famine happened due to the Russian revolution in 1917, and the fact that Russia with their "community owned farms" killed Ukraina's crops (at the time, Ukraina had the by far biggest crops in Europe, and could alone supply several countries... After the community owned farms kicked in, they had problems supplying themselves).

There's very few records of how Nansen managed to get the fundings to feed 7-15 million Russians, but he somehow did (as you see by the 7-15 million, it is also unknown how many he really helped. But still, 7 million is a lot, and Nansen has a lot of credit for that.

What is a bit interesting - Quisling (Quisling is considered the biggest traitor in Norway's history) aided Nansen in most of this. He did lots of fantastic actions together with Nansen, but for some reason they're ignored. Just because he sold out Norway to Germany, history books just ruled out all the good stuff he did. That's a shame.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Ronald Reagan is nowhere near being the best American of all time he was the best acting president since he used to be a actor but that's about it. Now that I got that off my chest let's me get back on topic the best person of my country has to be a tie between Karl Benz and Gottlieb Daimler who both invented the automobile around the same time in 1885.

^ Yeah, I agree. I could happily make a list of 100 americans that are greater than Ronald Reagan.

Winston Churchill baby!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

STEVEN COLBERT